Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Meltdown 4/2/2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Probably had some space....my wife flew JAC-ATL a few days ago and flying a 757 out of there with about 70 empty seats gave them an option to move people from West to East.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fusionblue
A question on this, if you decide to abandon your journey (cancelled flights, misconnect etc) and ask to be returned to your start point will DL still credit the miles/points you would have received if you travelled?

I have a miles run planned for May and would like to have the option to abandon the trip and get back to NY asap if things go wobbly.
No. You can certainly request return to origin using a "trip in vain" argument. But if you want the miles, you gotta fly the flights
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
Probably had some space....my wife flew JAC-ATL a few days ago and flying a 757 out of there with about 70 empty seats gave them an option to move people from West to East.
It's the last week of ski season so flights in and out of JAC are fairly empty. Delta is still running JAC-SLC/ATL/MSP/LAX though so nice to see the creative problem solving.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and CalebMCO like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
No. You can certainly request return to origin using a "trip in vain" argument. But if you want the miles, you gotta fly the flights
.....and pay for the flights rather than getting a refund for the trip-in-vain ticket.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So after reading through this yeah there was weather but with it concentrated in Florida, why the meltdown for many other routes? That makes me think they have other problems.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
You know your kid best but if she's going to be a senior, so she's two months from graduation and 4 months from going off to college than you're going to have to let go and let her take care of herself. I flew on my own from MSP-MDW and back starting when I was 11, never had an issue, make sure she knows to call if she has any issues but I'd let her go.
I waited out a most-of-the-day snow delay at PHL at age 14, and did a solo connection through ORD when I was 15, and lived to tell the tale, so I would be pretty chill about letting a high-school senior go on her own, assuming she's of even average maturity and independence.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rylan
So after reading through this yeah there was weather but with it concentrated in Florida, why the meltdown for many other routes? That makes me think they have other problems.
My guess would be pilots + flight attendants based in Florida who couldn't commute to their duty starts
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My first true solo plane trip was in high school going out to Colorado for a science summer camp- a few days before, American called my folks and said they were really overbooked and if they changed my ticket to First Class getting me into DFW, would I be willing to take different flight instead? It sounded fun so I said s yes and it was, though I said end up having to figure out how to do some sort of terminal switch in DFW because my flight into Denver (or maybe it was Colorado Springs) was on a different airline but that ended up being no big deal.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by atldiamond
My guess would be pilots + flight attendants based in Florida who couldn't commute to their duty starts
Not going to say Delta isn't running redline on staffing, particularly pilots, because they are. On that note, Delta is hiring about as fast as they possibly can and simplifying the fleet to help fix this issue. Unfortunately this is something that takes time and can't be fixed over night. I think all of the airlines would walk back the big early out packages they did if they could right now. Early COVID they wen't into post 9/11 staffing school of thought (for good reason) and obviously the industry is rebounding WAYYYYYY fast then may expected at that point.

but, its not just based. Delta has a ton of employees that live in Florida and commute to work. So if a ATL 73N pilot's MIA-ATL flight gets canceled, it can cause issues just as much as a crew member on the same flight working out of the MCO base (FAs only).

(not this isn't a Delta only issue. The big 4 all have a pretty big part of their employee population that live in Florida. Ability to commute to work is a positive most of the time but can quickly turn into a negative.)
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Not going to say Delta isn't running redline on staffing, particularly pilots, because they are. On that note, Delta is hiring about as fast as they possibly can and simplifying the fleet to help fix this issue. Unfortunately this is something that takes time and can't be fixed over night. I think all of the airlines would walk back the big early out packages they did if they could right now. Early COVID they wen't into post 9/11 staffing school of thought (for good reason) and obviously the industry is rebounding WAYYYYYY fast then may expected at that point.

but, its not just based. Delta has a ton of employees that live in Florida and commute to work. So if a ATL 73N pilot's MIA-ATL flight gets canceled, it can cause issues just as much as a crew member on the same flight working out of the MCO base (FAs only).

(not this isn't a Delta only issue. The big 4 all have a pretty big part of their employee population that live in Florida. Ability to commute to work is a positive most of the time but can quickly turn into a negative.)
One other thing to add to this is that FAs (and I believe Pilots) have gotten positive space on flights since COVID started. As a result, commuters may choose not to fly to their base a day early or perhaps much earlier in the day as they are guaranteed space on the flight. Unfortunately if the flight cancels, the employee won't be at their base and has a call out. I don't know how many this impacted, but likely some.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry but IMO it's still the responsibility of the employee (pilot, FA, or whatever) to get themself to the duty station on time and in good shape for their duties. If not, disciplinary action is appropriate according to the union contract or stated company policies.
Taz, drminn and LikeaGVI like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd give her a credit card and go to CVG for the nonstop with her, waiting until it takes off to be sure. Of course this assumes that you're comfortable with your friends' judgment. Consider giving them a medical power of attorney since minors typically cannot consent to medical treatment themselves.
Good call on the medical POA. Just made a note of that. This is our first "rodeo" on this
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:53 am

Transited thru ATL last Thursday PM from SJC to PBI. Flight delays into PBI and many other places. ATL was a Zoo. Sky Club in B was a nightmare. Lines to get in and lines for the bar and food. They have self service lounge entry machines which seemed to be confusing most PAX. Our connecting flight was changed to F concourse where the lounge was busy but not nearly as crazy.

Flights back on Sunday were also delayed and the lounge in PBI was at more than capacity although we managed to get a window table. As we left the lounge there were probably 25 people in line to get in.

This trip made my wife and I really question the value of a club membership.

Oh, and yes, the central Florida weather was pretty brutal over the weekend.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry but IMO it's still the responsibility of the employee (pilot, FA, or whatever) to get themself to the duty station on time and in good shape for their duties. If not, disciplinary action is appropriate according to the union contract or stated company policies.
I don't think anyone disagrees with this in theory.

you do realize that sometimes, even if it is the employees responsibility to be at work on time, they won't actually be there, right?
Bear96 and emma dog like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I don't think anyone disagrees with this in theory.

you do realize that sometimes, even if it is the employees responsibility to be at work on time, they won't actually be there, right?
Yes, and most employers have some sort of defined disciplinary policy if it happens too often without an acceptable reason/emergency.
LikeaGVI likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.