Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Meltdown 4/2/2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Wow! got home Wednesday and had idea there was this much chaos going on.
  • This week will be the first time I haven't flown (not including a holiday week) in over a year. I live in Southern Oho and have a meeting in Nashville. Decided to drive the 5 hours instead of having to connect etc for the same time. Pretty happy I made that call given what could be residual fall out.
  • Speaking of spring break: my wife and I have been discussing what our daughter wants to do on her senior year HS spring break next year. She will be 17 and she wants to fly unaccompanied to a friend's house in FLL. Parents will be there etc, but given the potential for IROPS, not sure I want to turn a 17 year old loose on her own. Even with a direct flight from CVG to FLL. Im sure Im way too paranoid.
Yes, DL had a bad day yesterday. But so did WN, AA, NK, B6, AY, and AS.

Now here is what today looks like so far. But hey, let's just keep the hysteria and hyperventilation going anyway over a bad day.

Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
You know your kid best but if she's going to be a senior, so she's two months from graduation and 4 months from going off to college than you're going to have to let go and let her take care of herself. I flew on my own from MSP-MDW and back starting when I was 11, never had an issue, make sure she knows to call if she has any issues but I'd let her go.
Agree. It's 100% a "me" problem and not a "daughter" problem.
hotturnip and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA

I'd take the friends house as a huge win.
Ryno1234 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, DL had a bad day yesterday. But so did WN, AA, NK, B6, AY, and AS.

But hey, let's just keep the hysteria and hyperventilation going anyway over a bad day.
I don't see any hysteria or hyperventilating in this thread. Just airline enthusiasts discussing the fact that an airline which previously excelled at IROP recovery is currently struggling to recover from a weather event due to poor staffing.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
@DLASflyer —I’m not sure I see the DL failure; they seem to have done the best of all the majors.
chollie and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma dog
@DLASflyer —I’m not sure I see the DL failure; they seem to have done the best of all the majors.
They've done worse than United and Frontier lately. Better than American, Southwest, Alaska, JetBlue, Spirit and Allegiant. None of the US majors are doing particularly well. Delta used to go weeks without canceling flights and hopefully they can get back to that with full staffing.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I don't see any hysteria or hyperventilating in this thread. Just airline enthusiasts discussing the fact that an airline which previously excelled at IROP recovery is currently struggling to recover from a weather event due to poor staffing.
On the contrary. Looking at today’s numbers, DL has done an excellent job at recovery. I think you are underestimating the impact of yesterday’s storms in Florida, or else staffing issues were miraculously solved overnight.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by spin2nd
I was on one of the cancelled MCO flights today. Total chaos. The help desk lines in A were 200 yards long and the Sky Club about 30 deep. I ran out to F but it didn’t matter, earliest out is Monday if you’re lucky, more likely Tuesday.

I’m now driving on I-75s with my wife, a 3 year old, a 6 year old and my parents with nothing but the clothes on our backs. Hopefully Delta gets our luggage to us eventually.

The real kicker was at the baggage desk…the line was easily 1000 people deep…and they were telling people they wouldn’t get their luggage back. I believe be they changed their tune as I got a notice 2 hours later my stuff was at the carousel…too bad I was south of Macon when they told me.

Same problem here, but we were trying to get to PBI. I didn't get the notice of the bag until we were in Florida. Turned around and came back, only to find out 1 bag went to PBI, and the other 2 were going to a different airport. We canceled original itinerary and rebooked for later this week.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:36 am

Flew MCO-SEA on Delta yesterday around 6pm, and everything was on time. But the terminal was a disaster area, with the boards flashing red with delayed and cancelled flights. Frontier was particularly hard hit, with the line snaking back across the length of the shopping/food court area all the way to the security line. OTOH, TSA screening was practically empty.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd give her a credit card and go to CVG for the nonstop with her, waiting until it takes off to be sure. Of course this assumes that you're comfortable with your friends' judgment. Consider giving them a medical power of attorney since minors typically cannot consent to medical treatment themselves.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Looks like more cancellations today. my ATL-LGA just cancelled and the best they can do is rebooking me for ATL-ORF-LGA tomorrow? Crazy.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Looks like more cancellations today. my ATL-LGA just cancelled and the best they can do is rebooking me for ATL-ORF-LGA tomorrow? Crazy.
When I flew yesterday SLC-JAC there were lots of customers being rerouted through JAC to get to MSP and ATL. Jackson Hole is a beautiful place but a bizarre airport to connect at flying between two Delta hubs!
wrp96 and CalebMCO like this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Apr 3, 2022 at 1:30 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
When I flew yesterday SLC-JAC there were lots of customers being rerouted through JAC to get to MSP and ATL. Jackson Hole is a beautiful place but a bizarre airport to connect at flying between two Delta hubs!
The only options I can change from ORF to get to LGA is GSP and some other random airports. Going to try my best with Standby later on one of the non cancelled flights
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Can't get you to JFK or EWR today?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:21 pm

A question on this, if you decide to abandon your journey (cancelled flights, misconnect etc) and ask to be returned to your start point will DL still credit the miles/points you would have received if you travelled?

I have a miles run planned for May and would like to have the option to abandon the trip and get back to NY asap if things go wobbly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.