Are delta awards non refundable?

Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Are delta awards non refundable?

I tried to make sense of their website but could not figure it out. Is a domestic one way award from msp non refundable if booked "main" or "comfort"? Does anyone know if there are redeposit fees in case one needs to cancel for a refund?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by economyfly
I tried to make sense of their website but could not figure it out. Is a domestic one way award from msp non refundable if booked "main" or "comfort"? Does anyone know if there are redeposit fees in case one needs to cancel for a refund?
Refundable for zero fee in your case.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Refundable for zero fee in your case.
Thanks. So I can book a "main" award using miles and refund it without redeposit fees before departure? The website says it should be ok but the booking page says non refundable. It is very confusing...
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by economyfly
Thanks. So I can book a "main" award using miles and refund it without redeposit fees before departure? The website says it should be ok but the booking page says non refundable. It is very confusing...

As long as its not a basic economy ticket, it is fully refundable, even the taxes and fees. Ive booked, cancelled and rebooked international flights on Delta and the miles refund hits my account not too long after cancelling.
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xjaehyun
As long as its not a basic economy ticket, it is fully refundable, even the taxes and fees. Ive booked, cancelled and rebooked international flights on Delta and the miles refund hits my account not too long after cancelling.
I'm not sure this is true for tickets originating outside of the USA, but in the OP's case of a ticket from MSP, providing it's not BE, it's fully refundable with no fees.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure this is true for tickets originating outside of the USA, but in the OP's case of a ticket from MSP, providing it's not BE, it's fully refundable with no fees.

I forgot to mention that the international flights I cancelled and rebooked originated in the US.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by xjaehyun
I forgot to mention that the international flights I cancelled and rebooked originated in the US.
Does anyone know what the cancellation/refund/redeposit rules are for international award flights on partner airlines originating outside North America? Like the OP, I can't find anything coherent on the Delta website. First it says there are no fee for award redeposits. But then there's an asterisk, and in the "further information" section it says that since certain dates there have been no fees for award redeposits for itineraries within North America and for international itineraries originating in North America. Then on a Covid-related page it says "we continue to waive change and cancellation fees for itineraries originating outside North America". The best way to make sense of this is that award tickets originating outside North America were always refundable without fee, and that the same policy has recently begun to apply to tickets originating in North America. But I wish they would just come out and say it.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was no exclusion of redeposit fees on awards originating from outside NA prior to Covid that I'm aware of (unless you had Plat or higher status) and I believe the $150 fee applied to all awards no matter what the origin other than for those with Plat+ waiver.

There is mention of $150 redeposit fee for awards originating outside of NA on this page -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/overview

"A redeposit fee of $150 will still apply for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades for travel originating outside of North America."

There are a couple other recent threads on this topic (unclear if this is actually being enforced or if it depends if you do it online or with an agent).
Assimilated Cajun likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
Does anyone know what the cancellation/refund/redeposit rules are for international award flights on partner airlines originating outside North America? Like the OP, I can't find anything coherent on the Delta website. First it says there are no fee for award redeposits. But then there's an asterisk, and in the "further information" section it says that since certain dates there have been no fees for award redeposits for itineraries within North America and for international itineraries originating in North America. Then on a Covid-related page it says "we continue to waive change and cancellation fees for itineraries originating outside North America". The best way to make sense of this is that award tickets originating outside North America were always refundable without fee, and that the same policy has recently begun to apply to tickets originating in North America. But I wish they would just come out and say it.
Problem is pages don't just disappear. True even though not applicable any longer.

All awards had cancel fees before CV19. During CV19 they waived the fees. (Note it was a waiver, not elimination) After CV19 they eliminated fees (change/cancel) for tickets ex-N America. Same is true for cash tickets.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:45 pm

I just booked an NT award flight (domestic Main). After booking, the flight is shown in the app as "Nonrefundable." The fare rules (YST105) state:Penalties: CANCELLATIONS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL . I booked this as a backup in case my upcoming WN flight gets cancelled, but there is a good possibility I will not be needing it. The Non-refundable message on my booking screen links me to a page where I can request a refund on nonrefundable tickets. This is about as clear as mud, but I just wanted to clarify that I can cancel and get my points back as long as I cancel before departure???
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by downinit
I just booked an NT award flight (domestic Main). After booking, the flight is shown in the app as "Nonrefundable." The fare rules (YST105) state:Penalties: CANCELLATIONS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL . I booked this as a backup in case my upcoming WN flight gets cancelled, but there is a good possibility I will not be needing it. The Non-refundable message on my booking screen links me to a page where I can request a refund on nonrefundable tickets. This is about as clear as mud, but I just wanted to clarify that I can cancel and get my points back as long as I cancel before departure???
As long as not a Basic Economy award, yes can refund.
downinit likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
With all the recent threads about people booking backup reservations I can’t help but think the airlines will rethink the no penalty fees decision. How long before they bring back change and redeposit fees????
Aliquot likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
With all the recent threads about people booking backup reservations I cant help but think the airlines will rethink the no penalty fees decision. How long before they bring back change and redeposit fees????
They either have your money tied up (changing cash bookings results in a flight credit instead of a refund) or the currency is captive (in the form of miles), so I dont think so.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: HH Silver
I must be really behind times. Last I knew, you could cancel basic economy tickets and get your points back, then rebook. When did that stop?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I must be really behind times. Last I knew, you could cancel basic economy tickets and get your points back, then rebook. When did that stop?
That was for a couple of years in the pandemic. I'm pretty sure BE awards weren't cancelable for a refund in 2019.
tatterdema likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.