Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone cutoff for drinks while in flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, AMEX Plat (MR), AMEX Delta Platinum

So this only happened to me once, I was flying to ICN and started to get a few G&Ts. I have seen some crazy alcohol requests in my travels over the years - like a double 3 to 4 times. So in my case over the course of a few hours I ended up requesting about 4 - 5 drinks where we had dinner in between - I was in comfort+ to Asia. So when I request my fifth drink on the 9 hour flight the FA informs me that I am cutoff - this is the only time if all my travels I was cutoff. Some notes, since I drank sprits the alcohol content was more controlled compared to when I would drink wine and would get some heavy pours.

Was pretty funny getting cutoff, just had to relax and try to sleep for the rest of the flight..

Anyone have stories of being cutoff, would love to hear them...
volabam and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My funniest experience was on a mileage run to FAI last year. I was in F for all the segments because, PM and Covid, and on one of my later drink requests the FA was like, 'you're not driving when we get to Fairbanks, are you?' to which I responded, 'nope, I'm actually headed right back to Seattle.' FA 'Oh you're straight turning with us', 'yep', 'You know you can be denied boarding for being intoxicated, right?', 'yep', *here's another woodford*

I mean you're not the GA. *shrug* and I did successfully board the flight back to the mainland.

I did get cut off on a recent AA flight. Apparently 5 drinks on a 4 hour flight was too much of an ask, though the F FA served doubles without asking, so it was only 2 rounds. The next fAA did open bar PDBs at 6:30 am on a Sunday, so, AA is consistently inconsistent.
volabam and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
um, from FAI, SEA is the “Lower 48” not the “mainland”

(oh, wait, you were already on the Bugger DO when I joined and still participating when I left)
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:23 am

I imagine it’s a red flag to flight attendants when, instead of leisurely enjoying a couple beverages, it appears as though you are trying to get blitzed.
Kerrirdh and kale73 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:32 pm

I have had the opposite with Delta and others. One nice FA kept my cans of Old Fashioned full on a severely delayed JFK-LAX flight as I guess I was one of the few not complaining about the delay as if it were the FA’s fault that the engine broke. On one JetBlue flight a FA kept offering me alcoholic beverage (I politely declined because it was too early in morning for me) because I was willing to swap seats from my aisle seat to a comparable aisle seat a few rows up. My only request was overhead bin space so I was not swimming upstream to get my bag when plane landed. She then proceeded to block the aisle so nobody would take the bin space.
Moyerclan and volabam like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
I have had the opposite with Delta and others. One nice FA kept my cans of Old Fashioned full on a severely delayed JFK-LAX flight as I guess I was one of the few not complaining about the delay as if it were the FA’s fault that the engine broke. On one JetBlue flight a FA kept offering me alcoholic beverage (I politely declined because it was too early in morning for me) because I was willing to swap seats from my aisle seat to a comparable aisle seat a few rows up. My only request was overhead bin space so I was not swimming upstream to get my bag when plane landed. She then proceeded to block the aisle so nobody would take the bin space.
Yeah my last DL flight at the end of February was D1 to/from SFO and on the outbound the FA just kept pouring wine in my glass. On the return the FA gave me the last mini bottle of WhistlePig and the old fashioned mixer to take with me in a little bag when I got off the plane.

I generally find that with liquor, FAs tend to be a little more cognizant whereas with wine, they just make runs every little while with the red/white and just constantly top up everyone who has a wine glass unless they are acting crazy
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:16 pm

Never been cut off, but have been asked if I was driving when we arrived. It’s only happened to me on longer flights. I don’t pound drinks, but over the course of a transcon it might seem like many rounds. Practically speaking, a PDC, a predinner cocktail and few glasses of wine on a flight with a 6-7 hr block time isn’t that much alcohol. I’m probably not even buzzy and I’m not very large (~5-9/150lbs).
Statman, volabam, Kerrirdh and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I was sort of cutoff on an MSP-CVG flight. Was served a PDB (Rum & Coke) during boarding. Then we taxied to the deice pad and sat there for about 20-30 min to get deiced. FA came around while we waited asking if we wanted anything so I ordered another Rum & Coke. Once drink service occurred at cruise altitude, ordered another Rum & Coke. Just before descending, FA came around again, asked if I wanted anything. I said I’d have one more Rum & Coke. She abruptly told me I had had enough already (I was watching a movie on my IPad in a solo seat on a CRJ-900, not talking to anyone so I know I wasn’t giving off any vibes of being even remotely intoxicated). I knew well enough not to argue when booze was involved (lest there be police waiting for the flight on landing) so I just said “okay” and I either asked for a water or ginger ale.

A few minutes later the FA came back and offered me one more Rum & Coke just as we started our descent.

I don’t know if she was concerned that I had had too much (in her mind) or if she was worried maybe I was driving after arriving and she didn’t want to be responsible for over-serving me (I wasn’t driving on arrival but I do realize an FA can’t know or verify that).

Only other flight wasn’t a denial per say but I was carded onboard several years ago, nearly 10 years after hitting the legal drinking age.
Kerrirdh and volabam like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Never.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:45 pm
WGM

Programs: DL PM
Never told I was cutoff, but had service get slower. On the last leg of a mileage run last summer in F LAX-BNA, FA brought a fresh Vodka and tonic every time she came by. After 7 on a <4 hour flight, I cut myself off. And she still offered me another shortly before landing.
volabam, photojojo and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have had to cut the FA off before. They kept putting too much gin into my gin and tonic. Finally they gave me a couple of bottles of both gin and tonic water and said I was on my own.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Not I, but my buddy recently had 4 doubles of whiskey on a LAX/CVG redeye, after he could not find his row returning from the lav and I had to assist - I cut him off.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have had to cut the FA off before. They kept putting too much gin into my gin and tonic. Finally they gave me a couple of bottles of both gin and tonic water and said I was on my own.
Def had to do this many times. They just keep pouring the wine and the pours seem to get bigger and bigger as the flight goes on.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:42 pm

No but I might have been asked….
“will this be your last one”
which of course the answer is yes
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
About 5 years ago-
Delta Comfort LGA-FLL
Myself and two friends immediately ordered doubles because we knew it would take a while for the FA’s to come back. Were met with resistance and only served one mini each. Later when we asked for refills the FA disappeared to the front galley without an answer. Next thing we know the captain comes by and asks us how we are doing. After talking to us he seemed befuddled about the nature of the flight attendants issue because we were clearly not troublemakers or intoxicated. He told us to have a nice flight and a different FA came over apologized and gave us more drinks.
volabam and Statman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.