Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone cutoff for drinks while in flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone cutoff for drinks while in flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I had a seatmate cutoff LGA/DTW a few years ago. He asked for a double vodka on the rocks for a PDB and downed it during boarding and asked for another one. He asked for a third and the FA said we were getting ready to take off and she'd take care of him in the air and he had had another double and she asked him if he was driving and he said no and she brought him the third and when she handed it to him said that was it. He was in the skyclub when I was and was drinking then and he had six minis of vodka on a short flight plus whatever he drank in the skyclub When we landed at DTW it was at one of the end gates and we deplaned the same time and when I went up to grab the tram he was going in the skyclub so not sure if he was going to drink at DTW or not.

He didn't appear drunk at all. I would have had trouble walking having that much alcohol in such a short time period.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Practically speaking, a PDC, a predinner cocktail and few glasses of wine on a flight with a 6-7 hr block time isn’t that much alcohol. I’m probably not even buzzy and I’m not very large (~5-9/150lbs).
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health)...

Originally Posted by NIAAA
  • NIAAA defines heavy drinking as follows:
    • For men, consuming more than 4 drinks on any day or more than 14 drinks per week
    • For women, consuming more than 3 drinks on any day or more than 7 drinks per week
indufan likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kale73
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health)...
But what if they are an "X"?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bonoman
But what if they are an "X"?
I suppose that’s a question best addressed by AA (.org, not .com).
SchindHaughton likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kale73
I wonder what their opinion would be about this 8 bottles of Dom from LAX-BKK on SQ in F

I once had an FA in F on Emirates who agreed with me that the only acceptable answer to "More champagne?" was yes. That was a fun flight.
Statman, SCChris, Metanoia and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I’m pretty sure I’ve told this story on here before, but I’ve been cut off exactly once. We were flying NRT-DTW on the upper deck of the 747, so my wife and I were across the aisle from each other. After the typical sparkling wine PDB, we took off and the FAs came around for pre-dinner service. I ordered a Woodford and was served a double without asking. When they brought dinner, they did the second drink service and I ordered another Woodford, again not asking for a double. The FA poured me a double but also informed me that this would “have to be all for awhile.” I was planning to finish my movie and dinner and go to sleep anyway, but it didn’t feel good to be scolded for ordering too many drinks (I’d ordered 2 on a TPAC). Meanwhile, the same FA was topping off my wife’s wine glass each trip by our seats.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I only had one FA try to cut me off; I had three bloody Mary's on a DSM-DCA (SkyWest) flight, and the FA didn't want to serve me a fourth, but I convinced her I was taking the Metro home, and she relented.

When I first figured out how to get upgraded to F on Delta in the 1980s, the flights I was on turned out to be "Delta drinkathons", with 2 or 3 PDBs, and then full drink and meal service after that. One could easily enjoy 8-10 or more adult beverages in a 2 hour period.

Before the pandemic circa 2017-18, Delta was getting really cheap with PDBs, only letting FAs serve one per passenger, even during 3-4 hour delays. And the FAs were snippy with you if you asked for a second. I was on diversions to RIC and CHS, and both times the FAs refused to serve any drinks, even non-alcoholic beverages, in F while we were on the ground.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
shortly after DL introduced the canned cocktails I was flying LAX-HNL. it was already a leisure trip, it was the first REAL trip after being vaccinated, so I was indulging a little. I didn't get told I was being cut off but the FA just stopped asking if I wanted anything else.

I also think that because I was drinking one of everything like a kid sampling the soda fountain for the first time, it seemed a little reckless.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I have also had to cut the FA off before, 6 rum and cokes was plenty on a 2 hour flight...

Only time I can think of being 'cutoff' was when I was flying with my 5 year old in F. The FAs were hanging out in the front galley eating on a 2.5 hour flight on a CR9. My son was done with his meal and wanted the tray off his table. I brought it up to the galley to hand it to them (they had already picked up everyone else's) when his napkin fell on one of the FA's meal tray...I apologized profusely but got quite a stare down and was not served anything the rest of the flight...
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
The only time I ever got "cut off" it had more to do with an annoyed FA. It was either SAN-PHL or PHX-PHL redeye on US back around 2001-2. We had pre departure drinks and that was the last time they came around on their own the entire flight. I was in the window seat and my seatmate fell asleep. I would normally have just walked up to the galley and requested a drink but I didn't want to wake them. So after about 30 minutes i paged them, they gave me a "what?!" when they showed up and l got my drink.

After another 30 minutes I hit the button again and he showed up substantially more annoyed and huffing at me (which I was somewhat surprised by). I asked for another and got it, but I still had the first dirty glass.

After 30 minutes and still not seeing anyone check up on us I hit the button again. This time he was still two seats away with sleeping pax, quite visibly pissed, and sharply blurts out "WHAT?!" again. I ask for my third and got it, and I now have two dirty glasses still sitting with me.

I was the only person in F who had been served the whole flight at this point.

I'm now ready to take a nap/sleep but I've got three glasses on my tray so I hit the button again to have them removed. This time you can hear him stomping up from behind and he just reaches in, grabs my glasses and tells me I'm cut off.

To this day I still think there was a bit of elitism/ageism involved. I was a very young looking 25 and I was dressed down due to the line of work I was returning from. They probably thought I was just some college kid trying to get drunk.

Last edited by photojojo; Apr 5, 2022 at 10:50 am
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I had kind of a reverse experience. Flew AA F Bos-Sfo and had a great FA constantly refilling my glass with white wine. I was in Y on the return the next day; the FA from my outbound flight was working the flight, recognized me and brought a bottle of wine (discretely in a bag with a cup) back to me in coach. My row was empty so no one was aware.
dcmike and Statman like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Unrelated to Delta, but I was on EK in F, and once we were in the air asked for a glass of Dom. After a few minutes, I went back to the bar and they said "we'll bring your bottle from first." I said sure. Ended up sitting and talking to the FAs and another passenger or two in the bar. At one point the FAs were asked to be seated for turbulence. One of the FAs said, "if you stay back here at sit with your seatbelt on, we can stay here with you, and grabbed the bottle to our seat..." basically asking me to stay so they didn't have to go to crew seats. They were filling my glass as we chatted. After one FA came and sent the other to crew rest, I stayed a bit longer. Eventually, the F purser came back and said, "If you'd like a meal and shower before we land, you should come up front."

I ordered a meal, and as I sat in my F seat, realized that I was, in fact, hammered. Toe-up smashed. Ate the food, took a shower, went back to my seat and passed out until landing.
On the way off, the FA greeted me from the bar and said, "that was one of the best flights we've had in a long time. But are you okay to get to your next flight, you drank 4 bottles of Dom." I had absolutely no idea. It was roughly $1K of champaign (retail) and over 8 hours, but still.

Needless to say, I went straight to the lounge and found the quiet room and "slept" soundly for my 4 hour layover, where I greatly wished they had cut me off!
Metanoia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.