Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Difficult to reach diamond this year without Delta help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM

My company still is not wanting us to travel international. April is approaching...... I do have 5 or 6 1st class tickets to Mexico this year. Issue is many domestic business tickets where I use to pay $500 or more are $300. Going to be very difficult to make Diamond. Delta needs to review how many Diamonds that have been Diamonds for years are not going to be close in 2022. I do like American Airlines new program. Seems to be easier to achieve.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I’m facing the same situation. Tons of MQM but will be short of spend.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by puntamita
My company still is not wanting us to travel international. April is approaching...... I do have 5 or 6 1st class tickets to Mexico this year. Issue is many domestic business tickets where I use to pay $500 or more are $300. Going to be very difficult to make Diamond. Delta needs to review how many Diamonds that have been Diamonds for years are not going to be close in 2022. I do like American Airlines new program. Seems to be easier to achieve.
Sounds to me like you might want to keep an on perhaps a MQD Partner run, doing something on AM/KLM/CDG, which can net a sizeable amount of MQD for the actual $$ spent, if its good deal (ie 3-5 times $ to actual Delta MQD allocation.) Just make sure its on a AM/KLM/AF ticket (even if its on DL metal)
Just a thought
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rizrizriz
Sounds to me like you might want to keep an on perhaps a MQD Partner run, doing something on AM/KLM/CDG, which can net a sizeable amount of MQD for the actual $$ spent, if its good deal (ie 3-5 times $ to actual Delta MQD allocation.) Just make sure its on a AM/KLM/AF ticket (even if its on DL metal)
Just a thought
Ticket stick doesn’t matter. It can be on a DL (006) ticket, it just needs to have a AM/KL/AF flight number.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:35 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by rizrizriz
Just a thought
Who tickets it doesn't matter, you need AM/KL/AF/VS flight numbers. The sweet spot seems to be Economy Delight fares on VS (which book into Comfort+ on Delta-operated flights), which earn 25% of mileage flown as MQDs.

Most people have a ton of MQMs due to rollover. The MQD thresholds are set at $0.12/MQM; I suspect if the average fare is much lower than that we'll see some help from DL. If you are paying $300 for a one-way ticket in domestic First, you need to fly more than 1600 mi on that one way to cost less than $0.12/MQM (and be consistently flying this far for this little).
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
My company still is not wanting us to travel international. April is approaching.......
Are you sure this isn't a permanent change in your company's travel policy?
DrMilano, smartytravel and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Same bucket here. Travel has yet to pick up, but have more than enough MQM. Best case 2-5 trips by the end of the year, but no where near enough to get the PM/DM MQDs. Trying to find some partner MQD runs but not much luck lately.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Ticket stick doesn’t matter. It can be on a DL (006) ticket, it just needs to have a AM/KL/AF flight number.
Originally Posted by VFR
Who tickets it doesn't matter, you need AM/KL/AF/VS flight numbers. The sweet spot seems to be Economy Delight fares on VS (which book into Comfort+ on Delta-operated flights), which earn 25% of mileage flown as MQDs.
This is so interesting. I've booked tons of partner flights - both revenue and mileage - and always had a DL flight number. How does one book a partner flight on 006 stock with partner flight numbers? Would *so* prefer that as an option...
Keith2004 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Only on FT could you see a thread "Tickets aren't expensive enough!"

You could always call DL and upfare to a higher fare bucket or buy-up to F, if your company policy allows you to buy F out of pocket after tickets have been initially purchased.
indufan, cre95, BamaGirl and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm pretty sure that anything ticketed via Delta, no matter what carrier it is on, will earn miles per the Delta rules (i.e., dollars spent). If you're trying to take advantage of the different Skymiles earning rules for partner airlines, you have to book through the other airline but provide your Skymiles #. That's how it's always worked for me, anyhow.
mot29 and Keith2004 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I'm pretty sure that anything ticketed via Delta, no matter what carrier it is on, will earn miles per the Delta rules (i.e., dollars spent). If you're trying to take advantage of the different Skymiles earning rules for partner airlines, you have to book through the other airline but provide your Skymiles #. That's how it's always worked for me, anyhow.
yes you have to ticket on the partner stock. If on 006 then DL knows the price and MQDs are for the cost. If ticketed oN AF, KL or other partner stock, DL doesn’t know the price and MQDs are mileage based.
Thats how I’ve earned on AF, KL, VN, MU, VS, VA, CZ, RO.
Will need to find something for the fall otherwise I fall back to SM gold as a 2MM.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:11 pm

I am not understanding how your personal difficulty hitting the DM threshold means that Delta needs to review anything.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Originally Posted by mot29
yes you have to ticket on the partner stock. If on 006 then DL knows the price and MQDs are for the cost. If ticketed oN AF, KL or other partner stock, DL doesn’t know the price and MQDs are mileage based.
Thats how I’ve earned on AF, KL, VN, MU, VS, VA, CZ, RO.
Will need to find something for the fall otherwise I fall back to SM gold as a 2MM.
Some version of the bolded statements was true at one point, but for several years now the marketing carrier is all that matters (at least for common cases like AF/KL)

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

"Any eligible flight that is not Delta-marketed will earn miles according to these partner airline rules. For certain partners, earn will be determined based on marketing and ticketing carrier."

I have not dug through all the dropdowns to find the ones where ticketing carrier is still a factor.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
Some version of the bolded statements was true at one point, but for several years now the marketing carrier is all that matters (at least for common cases like AF/KL)

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

"Any eligible flight that is not Delta-marketed will earn miles according to these partner airline rules. For certain partners, earn will be determined based on marketing and ticketing carrier."

I have not dug through all the dropdowns to find the ones where ticketing carrier is still a factor.
Zorak is correct. TICKET STOCK DOES NOT MATTER. The only thing that matters for increased RDM, MQM, and MQD earn is the Marketing flight number. I has NOTHING to do with what airline ticket stock issues the ticket. There is absolutely no question about that and has been discussed ad-nausem here on FT. If you have a Delta issued 006 ticket that has an Air France or KLM flight number in it, (ie AF1411 or KL1212, etc) you will earn based on mileage flown, not $$ spent.

To further clarify...if you have a mix of DL flights and AF/KL/other flights, earn for EACH flight could use different systems. So you fly on a 006 ticket ATL-JFK-CDG...ATL-JFK on DL flight number and then JFK-CDG on AF flight number (AF metal OR DL metal) you will earn for the ATL-JFK segment based on DL $$ rules and for JFK-CDG based on mileage flown (with MQD calculated as an equation of miles flown as well, not $$ spent).
VFR, aacar, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Zorak is correct. TICKET STOCK DOES NOT MATTER. The only thing that matters for increased RDM, MQM, and MQD earn is the Marketing flight number. I has NOTHING to do with what airline ticket stock issues the ticket. There is absolutely no question about that and has been discussed ad-nausem here on FT. If you have a Delta issued 006 ticket that has an Air France or KLM flight number in it, (ie AF1411 or KL1212, etc) you will earn based on mileage flown, not $$ spent.

What does this mean, precisely? Does it mean you need to purchase the ticket from Air France or KLM? I've seen people discuss this here, but I've never quite understood the nuance there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.