FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Canceled KLM positioning flight on Delta itinerary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2073654-canceled-klm-positioning-flight-delta-itinerary.html)

altabello Mar 28, 2022 3:36 pm

Canceled KLM positioning flight on Delta itinerary

KLM canceled our positioning flight to AMS, so in order to make our TATL on Delta, we need to get to AMS the day before. How do I go about reserving a hotel and meal vouchers, so expenses will later get reimbursed? Are there limits or specific hotels? Thanks

FabCW Mar 28, 2022 3:43 pm

Could you contact DL/KL and move the whole trip one day earlier?

LikeaGVI Mar 28, 2022 3:53 pm

Wouldn't OP need to contact DL anyhow since their first flight was cancelled? Without doing so I don't believe OP could find their own way to AMS and just board the TATL like normal as the computer would basically show they never started the trip, right? Also calling DL might solve for the OP having to find their own way to AMS and perhaps there are other options on partners like AF to get them to CDG and then on their way TATL, so no need to worry about a hotel.

Goodoldflyer Mar 28, 2022 3:56 pm

Yes, it seems like they should be offering some logistical support here.

altabello Mar 28, 2022 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by FabCW (Post 34115341)
Could you contact DL/KL and move the whole trip one day earlier?

i can fly to AMS the evening before, but not an entire day before, as I won’t be at the starting point until that day, and still have to Covid test. Flight is rebooked by now, but I would like to go about the hotel and expenses correctly, so they are reimbursed. Isn’t there some EURO law that applies, too? Flying through CDG wouldn’t get me to final destination on time to make it home the same day, & the C+ seats aren’t available

Goodoldflyer Mar 28, 2022 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by altabello (Post 34115421)
i can fly to AMS the evening before, but not an entire day before, as I won’t be at the starting point until that day, and still have to Covid test. Flight is rebooked by now, but I would like to go about the hotel and expenses correctly, so they are reimbursed. Isn’t there some EURO law that applies, too? Flying through CDG wouldn’t get me to final destination on time to make it home the same day, & the C+ seats aren’t available

Are you communicating with the airline? Seems like they'd be helping you with arrangements. They could maybe put you on a different airline with similar timing to the flight that got cancelled for your positioning flight.

flyerCO Mar 28, 2022 4:55 pm

I'm confused. Is this one ticket? If so they have to rebook you on flights as close to original that work for you. Your use of "repositioning " is what concerns/confuses me.

No hotels/expenses are due if this overnight is across separate tickets. As for compensation it depends how far out from date we are and if they offer other options that get you in within specific time limits.

If you tell us the date and origin/destination (if separate tickets,, the O/D of both tickets), plus what time you can travel. We likely can figure out something for you.

altabello Mar 28, 2022 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 34115540)
I'm confused. Is this one ticket? If so they have to rebook you on flights as close to original that work for you. Your use of "repositioning " is what concerns/confuses me.

No hotels/expenses are due if this overnight is across separate tickets. As for compensation it depends how far out from date we are and if they offer other options that get you in within specific time limits.

If you tell us the date and origin/destination (if separate tickets,, the O/D of both tickets), plus what time you can travel. We likely can figure out something for you.

all one ticket, contacted Delta and got rebooked to evening flight to AMS on the day before. My question pertains to spending the night in AMS now, and getting reimbursed for that

altabello Mar 28, 2022 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 34115540)

all one ticket, contacted Delta and got rebooked to evening flight to AMS on the day before. My question pertains to spending the night in AMS now, and getting reimbursed for that

SUPERTRAVEL Mar 28, 2022 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by altabello (Post 34116113)

This could have/should have been discussed with Delta during the rebooking phone call.
Call them back.
If they refuse to assist you, do look at the brochure that came with the credit card you used to purchase the ticket(s). Many often have trip interruption coverage of some sort.

xliioper Mar 28, 2022 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by altabello (Post 34115421)
Isn’t there some EURO law that applies, too?

It depends on how far out the cancellation/reschedule was. If it's more than 14 days out they aren't required to do anything for you. EU-261 is fairly complex and you shouldn't just assume they will reimburse whatever expenses you incur simply because there was a flight cancellation.

altabello Mar 28, 2022 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 34116133)
It depends on how far out the cancellation/reschedule was. If it's more than 14 days out they aren't required to do anything for you. EU-261 is fairly complex and you shouldn't just assume they will reimburse whatever expenses you incur simply because there was a flight cancellation.

flight is in 7 days, messaging with Delta got the itinerary changed, but no help or info on hotel, etc. Delta couldn’t provide a phone number to call in Europe

PHXflier Mar 28, 2022 10:38 pm

KLM's mantra is "not possible", so don't get your hopes up on reimbursement for meals or hotel if you have agreed to leaving a day early rather than -say- rerouting. That said, ask the KLM desk upon check-in regarding vouchers; they tend to be quite helpful.

flyerCO Mar 29, 2022 1:12 am

Originally Posted by altabello (Post 34116113)

Unless there were no same day options available (not just that they don't work for you), no hotel needs be provided..

altabello Mar 29, 2022 1:40 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier (Post 34116227)
KLM's mantra is "not possible", so don't get your hopes up on reimbursement for meals or hotel if you have agreed to leaving a day early rather than -say- rerouting. That said, ask the KLM desk upon check-in regarding vouchers; they tend to be quite helpful.

Thanks for the heads up, the "not possible" seems to be the standard line. At some point, they tried to reroute me to Santiago instead of SLC, so I gave up on KLM and tried to rebook through Delta, which isn't going totally smooth, either. As for vouchers, where and when do I ask? On the first flight, before the overnight? Or in AMS? Would it be best to book a certain airport hotel to increase my chances? If we didn't go a day earlier, we wouldn't be able to get home after the TATL