Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Canceled KLM positioning flight on Delta itinerary

Canceled KLM positioning flight on Delta itinerary

Old Mar 29, 22, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barrheadlass View Post
I thought premium select was better than comfort plus. I hope I like it too!
I think you’re confused about the various classes of service and their marketing names.
Old Mar 29, 22, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by altabello View Post
After a long night of messaging and no sleep, I finally got an agent on the phone this morning (this will be huge cell phone bill...). Any rerouting would have ended up NOT being in C+ with adjacent seats, or with more layovers, so we'll end up paying for the hotel in AMS. GRRRR! After I fixed it with the phone agent, the messaging service changed it again, so it's not one PNR anymore, and we'll have to get the luggage and re-check it in the morning. I can't believe they did that, without asking me!!! I have lost my confidence to believe in a successful journey.
They can still check bags through. Having one PNR doesn’t matter. If when tag prints, it doesn't show actual final, point out to agent you have 2 PNRs.

Also each airline has there own PNR even for same trip..
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 29, 22, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Thanks for the heads up, the "not possible" seems to be the standard line. At some point, they tried to reroute me to Santiago instead of SLC, so I gave up on KLM and tried to rebook through Delta, which isn't going totally smooth, either. As for vouchers, where and when do I ask? On the first flight, before the overnight? Or in AMS? Would it be best to book a certain airport hotel to increase my chances? If we didn't go a day earlier, we wouldn't be able to get home after the TATL
Ask re. vouchers on every occasion before you need the hotel: e.g., upon check-in and at the AMS transfer desk. You may not be successful, but at least you tried.... If it did not work, then you can always send in the hotel bill to Delta (assuming you have a 006 ticket) after the fact, with an explanation, and they may throw some miles or a Delta credit at you.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 30, 22, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
Ask re. vouchers on every occasion before you need the hotel: e.g., upon check-in and at the AMS transfer desk. You may not be successful, but at least you tried.... If it did not work, then you can always send in the hotel bill to Delta (assuming you have a 006 ticket) after the fact, with an explanation, and they may throw some miles or a Delta credit at you.
Google EC261 - it's the European regulations around flight cancellations and delays - it applies to EU airlines, and non-EU airlines on departure from the EU. You're always eligible for overnight hotel (weather is no exception) and quite possibly a cancellation payout (starts at 250 euros, goes up to 600). The operating airline, in this case KLM, is responsible for payment.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 30, 22, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
After a long night of messaging and no sleep, I finally got an agent on the phone this morning (this will be huge cell phone bill...). Any rerouting would have ended up NOT being in C+ with adjacent seats, or with more layovers, so we'll end up paying for the hotel in AMS. GRRRR! After I fixed it with the phone agent, the messaging service changed it again, so it's not one PNR anymore, and we'll have to get the luggage and re-check it in the morning. I can't believe they did that, without asking me!!! I have lost my confidence to believe in a successful journey.
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
Google EC261 - it's the European regulations around flight cancellations and delays - it applies to EU airlines, and non-EU airlines on departure from the EU. You're always eligible for overnight hotel (weather is no exception) and quite possibly a cancellation payout (starts at 250 euros, goes up to 600). The operating airline, in this case KLM, is responsible for payment.
This is true if airline can't fly you same day. However in OP case they could, they just preferred to to leave day before.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 22, 6:29 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
I disagree. They don't owe him here. He's choosing to go a day early. That's fine, and they're accommodating that request, but I'm not surprised they're not offering a hotel to go along with that. You're recommending that he go with the "bug them until they bribe you to go away" strategy. It wastes everyone's time (including your own), and creates a lot of stress over some minor amount of compensation.

I say look at the big picture and enjoy your time in Italy and Amsterdam with your companions, instead of wasting even more hours and stress trying to score $130 of credits. At some point you have to weigh the value of the compensation against your time and aggravation during your time in Europe.
MSPeconomist and altabello like this.
Old Mar 30, 22, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Barrheadlass View Post
Too short? I land ther at 6 a.m. and am hoping there won’t be any delays !
two hours is way more than enough at CDG. If you read posts here, you would think that nobody has ever successfully connected in CDG with less than four hours but my median time from gate to gate is 15 minutes arriving from the US and connecting to schengen, probably less going the other way.
Old Mar 30, 22, 2:17 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
This is true if airline can't fly you same day. However in OP case they could, they just preferred to to leave day before.
I thought OP said getting to AMS the day before was the only way to make the transatlantic flight?
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 30, 22, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
I thought OP said getting to AMS the day before was the only way to make the transatlantic flight?

There was some question about that over the term "positioning flight", and it was never really cleared up. If it were all on one itinerary, it seems that the airline should have been able to make everything happen on the appointed day. It's unclear why this wasn't the case.
strickerj and altabello like this.
Old Mar 30, 22, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My read was that if OP wanted to fly same-day, they’d have to take a later TATL, but since it’s one booking the airline should have been able to accommodate. But that would obviously get them into the US much later (and possibly not to final destination until the next day, OP alluded needing to get to SLC.)
Frankly I’m not sure why some consider that an acceptable excuse for not providing a hotel. But actually, OP changing to a later TATL may well provide for the €600 cash comp for the delay.
strickerj and altabello like this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
I think that's enough time, and often (but not always) the flights from the U.S. get there early.
The problem with AF flights getting into CDG early (say, 0530 local time), is that there is a skeleton staff of border police at the checkpoint between T2E and T2F (the Schengen zone departures terminal), and a full complement of border police does not arrive until 0600. There can be long lines to get through immigration if you get there at 0530.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
The problem with AF flights getting into CDG early (say, 0530 local time), is that there is a skeleton staff of border police at the checkpoint between T2E and T2F (the Schengen zone departures terminal), and a full complement of border police does not arrive until 0600. There can be long lines to get through immigration if you get there at 0530.

Good to know, if your flight arrives at that time of day.
FabCW likes this.
Old Mar 31, 22, 2:34 pm

Thank you! I’m landing at 6 so hope will go well. I appreciate everyone’s comments and didn’t mean to hjact the thread!
Old Mar 31, 22, 2:52 pm

yep. I have definitely experienced this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 6:35 am

You're stil almost certain to emerge from immigration earlier if you arrive at 5:30 than at 6:00, even if you have to stand in line for a few minutes, so I'm not sure I'd call this a "problem."

Search this Thread