Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Agent insists I need a GUC but I thought RUC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agent insists I need a GUC but I thought RUC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
If there is Z-fare, GUCs get instant upgrades on any domestic flight. RUC still need upgrade availability.
Slightly incorrect:

- if it’s a domestic D1 flight, Z needs to be available for immediate GUC usage
- if it’s a domestic FC flight, a GUC can be used for any remaining FC seat regardless of fare. Upgrade inventory would be needed for RUC.

So the indicators above mean:
- First available with upgrade certificate: RUC space available
- First available with Global Upgrade Certificate: No RUC space available and if you want instant upgrade, you need a GUC

Global Upgrade Certificates will now have access to all Domestic First Class and Delta Premium Select seats upon request. This means any Domestic First Class and Delta Premium Select seats not yet sold will be available to be cleared immediately upon request.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Slightly incorrect:

- if it’s a domestic FC flight, a GUC can be used for any remaining FC seat regardless of fare. Upgrade inventory would be needed for RUC.

- First available with Global Upgrade Certificate: No RUC space available and if you want instant upgrade, you need a GUC

Global Upgrade Certificates will now have access to all Domestic First Class and Delta Premium Select seats upon request. This means any Domestic First Class and Delta Premium Select seats not yet sold will be available to be cleared immediately upon request.
When did this change take place? Or has it always been this way and I just never knew it because DL only recently is showing upgrade space available on delta.com?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:07 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
It's almost like they set out to concoct the most complex scenario possible, making it very difficult to train agents effectively (particularly junior hires who are still trying to get their feet wet). I even had a "supervisor in Atlanta" misquote the rules to me a few weeks ago when the frontline agent wouldn't apply a GUC to a domestic F itinerary.
volabam likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
When did this change take place? Or has it always been this way and I just never knew it because DL only recently is showing upgrade space available on delta.com?
Feb 1st 2022

The UC section of the website has all the information and there is a separate, longer thread on here entitled UC usage after 2/1/2022.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I view all the "one time exceptions" as face saving measures by agents who don't want to admit to a customer than they're wrong. IMO an honest response and brief apology would make a much better impression but airline/airport employees like to pretend that they're always right even when they're clearly wrong.
I disagree on this. I spent some time doing call center customer service and when we made an exception (that actually was an exception) we made sure to say it and note that it was said in the call notes so that when people tried to pull the “well, they did it for me last time, why can’t you” we can clearly see and reference to them that they were told it was a one time exception.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: Skymiles

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I view all the "one time exceptions" as face saving measures by agents who don't want to admit to a customer than they're wrong. IMO an honest response and brief apology would make a much better impression but airline/airport employees like to pretend that they're always right even when they're clearly wrong.
I disagree on this. I spent some time doing call center customer service and when we made an exception (that actually was an exception) we made sure to say it and note that it was said in the call notes so that when people tried to pull the “well, they did it for me last time, why can’t you” we can clearly see and reference to them that they were told it was a one time exception.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Slightly incorrect:

This is also incorrect (or maybe just imprecise). For domestic FC, RUC uses Z inventory not upgrade inventory. So if Z is available, RUC can be used. GUC for domestic is similar to SDC—last seat availability.

refer to the new RUC/GUC thread for more detail.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPJIN
the fact that your company made actual execptions and documented it doesn't have anything to do with the well-known practice of delta agents of giving people changes etc that they are actually entitled to and yet telling them that they're only doing it as an exception.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
This is also incorrect (or maybe just imprecise). For domestic FC, RUC uses Z inventory not upgrade inventory. So if Z is available, RUC can be used. GUC for domestic is similar to SDC—last seat availability.

refer to the new RUC/GUC thread for more detail.
this is not correct, RUC upgrade inventory does not use Z.

Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
In this case, there is most likely Z availability but no published fare in Z at this time of day. If you post date it can be confirmed.
DLATL777 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
In this case, there is most likely Z availability but no published fare in Z at this time of day. If you post date it can be confirmed.
Yes Z inventory can be positive but not "active" for a given request. Whatever variables in a given search may not qualify the user to dip into the Z bucket of inventory, but its there.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Could it be that only one segment can be upgraded with a RUC?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:58 pm

I just had a situation today happen where the website said "First Available with Upgrade Certificate" (vs First Available with Global Upgrade Certificate), So, I purchased a domestic contiguous 48 state MC ticket, called in to apply a RUC, and was told no, a GUC is required. This also happened to be a flight with one segment using a widebody 767 but not on a D1 route (City A-B-C, with B-C being the 767). After finally getting in touch with a supervisor, I was told there is a website issue where if one segment has Z/OL availability, delta.com will show "First Available with Upgrade Certificate", but in reality these are not always bookable with a RUC because the other segment may have no Z/OL inventory. Sure enough, when I search delta.com for the same flights, A-B was available with Upgrade Certificate, but B-C was ONLY available with GLOBAL Upgrade Certificate, and yet A-B-C still showed "Fist Available with Upgrade Certificate" even though the B-C segment had no Z/OL space (according to the supervisor I was on the phone with while doing all this checking).... Looks like for now it is not enough to find a A-B-C routing that says "First Available with Upgrade Certificate", you ALSO need to check A-B and B-C separately and make sure they BOTH also have "First Available with Upgrade Certificate" and neither one can have First Available with GLOBAL Upgrade Certificate.

Armed with the above, I picked a new A-B-C routing where A-B, B-C both were First Available with Upgrade Certificate, and sure enough was able to immediately apply my RUCs for the A-B-C route. I am not sure how accurate this is, but it is at least one data point that might save someone the HOURS on hold time I spent today. Poor programming on delta.com (if this turns out to be accurate and confirmed by more people checking examples and posting results here).
volabam and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Similar to postings in the RUC thread, many agents don’t know the right fare class to check for RUC usage. Obviously the new rules complicated things.

I had an agent put me on the WL when it showed RUC available. Another call to another agent fixed the issue…
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I had an agent put me on the WL when it showed RUC available. Another call to another agent fixed the issue…
I think there's a very new bug right now with the website showing RUC available when it's not. I don't have enough data yet, but I'm suddenly seeing WAY more availability than I've ever seen before, and when I try it out, phone agents have said "oh I thought it was available but it's not."

My guess is that if any one segment has availability, it's now showing the magic "First Available with Upgrade Certificate" words. I've got a couple of tickets I'm working on, I'll report back if I figure anything out.
dburns likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.