Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skylounge and minors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Delta Skylounge and minors

Now that the Delta Skylounge has a staffed bar, are minors allowed in assuming you have guest privileges ? (specifically DTW lounge)
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty sure you still need to be 18 years or older (which is not a minor) to enter on your own with staffed bars if that is what you are asking.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
A little confused as to your question?

Can they get in on their own? Probably not but that would most likely be because an unaccompanied minor would not just be wondering around the airport trying to get into airport lounges.

If you mean can you bring a minor, of course you can. No different than any restaurant with a bar.

I have brought a minor into the DTW SkyClub both when it was self service alcohol and just yesterday now that they serve it to you.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
Pretty sure you still need to be 18 years or older (which is not a minor) to enter on your own with staffed bars if that is what you are asking.
I'm guessing minor herr means 21, since talking alcohol.

Staffed bar location will let under 21 in alone.

FWIW, never seen unaccompanied minor (under 21) turned away at an unstaffed bar location.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Aydyn
Now that the Delta Skylounge has a staffed bar, are minors allowed in assuming you have guest privileges ? (specifically DTW lounge)
"SkyLounge"? I am sorry sir, this is a Crown Room.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would help to know the OP's age and proposed means (international SkyTeam business class itinerary? membership? Reserve card? DM? AmEx regular Plat/Centurion charge card? guest pass? pay with money for access?) of access. What does "guest privileges" mean if he/she is presumably asking about access when traveling alone.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
There may be rules that prohibit a minor from sitting at the bar (i.e. the high chairs at the counter where drinks are served), but that is different from club admission.

The official rule is kids age 2+ are each charged full price to enter, under 2 are free, and sometimes kids are subjected to the normal guest policy of no more than 2 guests*. Note that many memberships (including Amex) will allow spouse plus all minor kids… so if for example you have three kids (all under 18), all three kids plus spouse could get in under what would normally be a two guest limit.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm guessing minor herr means 21, since talking alcohol.

Staffed bar location will let under 21 in alone.

FWIW, never seen unaccompanied minor (under 21) turned away at an unstaffed bar location.
Once in ATL my 18 year old was redirected to a lounge that had a bartender.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by defrosted

If you mean can you bring a minor, of course you can. No different than any restaurant with a bar.
I live in a state where it isn't quite that simple. For example, to sit in the center section of an Applebees you must be 21.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there are (or used to be) some restrictions in CA about minors not being allowed in bars after 5 pm.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
According to the admittance requirements: https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/house-rules
  • Individuals must be at least 18 years of age for Club Membership or access without a responsible, supervising adult.
  • Must be 21 years of age to access Clubs with a self-service bar, unless accompanied by a responsible, supervising adult who is also a Club member. Local age restrictions apply in non-US locations.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
I live in a state where it isn't quite that simple. For example, to sit in the center section of an Applebees you must be 21.
Do all Applebee's in state do this? I highly doubt its a state thing, rather local or overzealous manager..
(at least for standard Applebee's setup)

It may also be they've licensed the center section as a bar to allow alcohol sales same as actual bar (hours, etc can be different for an actual bar license than a restaurant with liquor license)

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 22, 2022 at 6:04 am
Old Mar 25, 2022, 5:56 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Not sure about DTW, but at JFK where I'm sure the universal SkyClub rules all apply, have seen many people trying to get their kids/minors in and moan when they get denied.

Skyclubs are not family friendly - kids and minors don't belong in there. Last thing passengers need are kids crying/running inside a lounge when they have enough of those on the plane.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Not sure about DTW, but at JFK where I'm sure the universal SkyClub rules all apply, have seen many people trying to get their kids/minors in and moan when they get denied.

Skyclubs are not family friendly - kids and minors don't belong in there. Last thing passengers need are kids crying/running inside a lounge when they have enough of those on the plane.
Well that is a completely inaccurate over generalization if I ever heard one.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gertjaars

1)has nothing to do with question at hand (solo under 21 access)
2)why were they denied? Had nothing to do with alcohol. They likely were trying to get kids in free and not entitled
3)SC have plenty of kids in them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.