Wiki Posts
Search

understanding MQD earn on partners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
understanding MQD earn on partners

Hi all - I need a bit of help understanding how DL processes MQD on core partner airlines. It seems a bit too good to be true.

I recently paid $840 for a JFK-ICN-MNL r/t booked on KE flight numbers into Q class. According to DL's website, the MQD calculation when flying on partner-marketed flights (not a DL flight number) is a percentage of the mileage rather than having anything to do with the price. JFK-MNL r/t is slightly over 17,000 miles, and Q class on KE earns 10% MQD of mileage. Does that really mean then that my $840 ticket earns $1,700 MQD?

Seems pretty great! Thanks!
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes. This is a common status running strategy on Delta.
Kerrirdh, DrMilano and ebayj like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Sure does. AF, KL, and VA purchases got me MQDs for DM several years.
Kerrirdh and ebayj like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:11 am

Two roundtrips SEA to DXB in business class (via CDG) bought through Air France has nearly netted me the $15k needed to maintain my diamond status. And they've been shockingly cheap - $2700 RT. Each trip earned me about $7000 MQDs.
Kerrirdh and ebayj like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:21 pm

This sounds amazing!

Did you book on Delta website? Say AF operated flight?

or would you have to book on AF website?
thanks

edit I need 2267 MQD’s for medallion silver
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Either site works. You just need to make sure they're AF flight numbers and your DL Sky Miles number is attached to the reservation.

OPS
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:54 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mattya9
Either site works. You just need to make sure they're AF flight numbers and your DL Sky Miles number is attached to the reservation.
How would you get delta.com to book a 006 ticket with AF flight numbers and not DL codeshare numbers?

I just used airfrance.us to book AF/KL flights with my DL FFN attached, since I didn't think DL would sell the AF-numbered flights. Related, I have a AF/057 ticket and the KL-operated flights have KL and not AF flight numbers, DL will still recognize these flights for credit, right? This is my first time booking international flights on a non-DL ticket, since it should get me enough MQD to reach Gold Medallion for the first time.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zmb
How would you get delta.com to book a 006 ticket with AF flight numbers and not DL codeshare numbers?

I just used airfrance.us to book AF/KL flights with my DL FFN attached, since I didn't think DL would sell the AF-numbered flights. Related, I have a AF/057 ticket and the KL-operated flights have KL and not AF flight numbers, DL will still recognize these flights for credit, right? This is my first time booking international flights on a non-DL ticket, since it should get me enough MQD to reach Gold Medallion for the first time.
Yes, because both AF and KLM are SkyTeam members. Otherwise, you need to avoid codeshares.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zmb
ITA Matrix + the userscript is one way:

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK
zmb likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! What if I book, via KE.com, a DL flight that's marketed with a DL flight number connecting to a transpac KE flight? Would that KE-marketed, DL-metal (and the associated KE-marketed and KE-metal transpac flight) earn MQD according to distance, or because part of it is on DL-metal, that leg would earn MQD like it was Delta (spend not distance)?
Old May 5, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ZKrunk
Thank you all! What if I book, via KE.com, a DL flight that's marketed with a DL flight number connecting to a transpac KE flight? Would that KE-marketed, DL-metal (and the associated KE-marketed and KE-metal transpac flight) earn MQD according to distance, or because part of it is on DL-metal, that leg would earn MQD like it was Delta (spend not distance)?
You earn per flight, not ticket. All that matters is marketing.
ebayj likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
It is true. And let's just keep this between us. No need to broadcast this fact.
ebayj likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You earn per flight, not ticket. All that matters is marketing.
......and, just to be clear, "marketed by" means the two letters before the flight number, i.e., whether or not the flight is booked and purchased as a codeshare.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL MM DM, AA Plat, BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Does anyone have a reliable way to estimate how DL calculates the miles flown on partner marketed flights? The earning notes so "as determined by DL in its sole discretion", so how do I know what's the figure to multiply by .4 when booking a J fare directly with AF, for instance, since those earn 40% MQDs.
As an example, BOS-CDG-BOM on DL.com (codeshare with AF) is $2700, with the MQDs being about $2K of that. Great Circle Mapper tells me that route is 7799 miles, so 40% MQDs would be just over $3100 - a neat trick. But is that an accurate way to estimate?
I'd be grateful for any insights.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by anotherATLelite
Does anyone have a reliable way to estimate how DL calculates the miles flown on partner marketed flights? The earning notes so "as determined by DL in its sole discretion", so how do I know what's the figure to multiply by .4 when booking a J fare directly with AF, for instance, since those earn 40% MQDs.
As an example, BOS-CDG-BOM on DL.com (codeshare with AF) is $2700, with the MQDs being about $2K of that. Great Circle Mapper tells me that route is 7799 miles, so 40% MQDs would be just over $3100 - a neat trick. But is that an accurate way to estimate?
I'd be grateful for any insights.
I've been using Milecalc.com to estimate and the MQDs that come back usually come within $1-2 of the estimate.
anotherATLelite and ebayj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.