Search

Book AF flights via DL or AF?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Book AF flights via DL or AF?

I'm a DL Diamond. I found an AF return fare through DL's website for the same price as if I book on AF. It's economy light so I'm assuming that basic economy. DL shows it as an E-fare and earning 0 EQM. I don't know what the fare code is from AF's website. If it's an E-fare as well, DL's partner website shows me earning 100% EQM. So if you were me, where would you book the airfare?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 12:14 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Economy Light on AF/KL can book into most fare classes. I believe you will earn according to the fare class, but I haven’t seen a hard data point on that.

On AF/KL operated flights I believe you will also get free seat selection.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR
Economy Light on AF/KL can book into most fare classes. I believe you will earn according to the fare class, but I haven’t seen a hard data point on that.

On AF/KL operated flights I believe you will also get free seat selection.
In other words, I should book on AF? DL does show 0 EQMs. AF's website doesn't show the fare code on a mobile browser. Any other way to check? What about IRROPs? Will AF/KL take care of this DL Diamond?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 2:22 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Remember earnings is about the marketing airline (AF vs DL coded flight number) and the booking class. Economy Light I believe is stuff like V class which earn miles and can use GUCs (I've done that recently) so helpful if it has AF flight numbers.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Remember earnings is about the marketing airline (AF vs DL coded flight number) and the booking class. Economy Light I believe is stuff like V class which earn miles and can use GUCs (I've done that recently) so helpful if it has AF flight numbers.
In general, as a DL Diamond, should I book AF flights through AF or DL? I don't remember if it has AF numbers or not, but the DL page does show 0 EQMs earned...I'm definitely not booking that unless the flight is free!
Old Mar 12, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What matters is marketing carrier (and thus fare), and not which site you book it on. Delta.com will almost always use DL marketing for AF operated flights (unless you use some trickery with ITA Matrix and ITA Powertools browser extension to force AF marketed). For DL marketed flights, BE fares will book into DL 'E' booking class and earn no miles or MQMs. For AF marketed flights, there is no dedicated fare booking class for their equivalent "Economy Light" fares as they just book into one of their regular economy coach fare classes and earn like regular AF coach classes (miles/MQDs are based on distance instead of cost).

Delta BE fares and AF Economy Light fares will both have a 'B' in the second to last letter of their fare basis codes. The difference is that DL fares will always book into 'E' class (even though the first letter of the fare basis code is a coach class), while with AF Economy Light fares, the booking class will be the same as the first letter of the fare basis code. The AF website displays fare basis codes when booking flights there. Note that when booking on AF website, it can and will show DL marketed fares on DL operated flights. So you are not always "safe" when booking on AF if flights happen to be on DL metal. These are DL marketed flights and thus book into DL fare classes. The XHJP97B2 fare below is a DL fare and will book into DL 'E' class and earn no miles/MQMs.

lsquare, beachmouse, VFR and 1 others like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 12, 2022 at 7:21 am
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
What matters is marketing carrier (and thus fare), and not which site you book it on. Delta.com will almost always use DL marketing for AF operated flights (unless you use some trickery with ITA Matrix and ITA Powertools browser extension to force AF marketed). For DL marketed flights, BE fares will book into DL 'E' booking class and earn no miles or MQMs. For AF marketed flights, there is no dedicated fare booking class for their equivalent "Economy Light" fares as they just book into one of their regular economy coach fare classes and earn like regular AF coach classes (miles/MQDs are based on distance instead of cost).

Delta BE fares and AF Economy Light fares will both have a 'B' in the second to last letter of their fare basis codes. The difference is that DL fares will always book into 'E' class (even though the first letter of the fare basis code is a coach class), while with AF Economy Light fares, the booking class will be the same as the first letter of the fare basis code. The AF website displays fare basis codes when booking flights there. Note that when booking on AF website, it can and will show DL marketed fares on DL operated flights. So you are not always "safe" when booking on AF if flights happen to be on DL metal. These are DL marketed flights and thus book into DL fare classes. The XHJP97B2 fare below is a DL fare and will book into DL 'E' class and earn no miles/MQMs.
I just checked and it seems that all AF-marketed and AF-operated flights earn 100% MQMs for all economy flights. I don't really care about RDMs all that much. It sounds like I should just book through AF directly!
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
I just checked and it seems that all AF-marketed and AF-operated flights earn 100% MQMs for all economy flights. I don't really care about RDMs all that much. It sounds like I should just book through AF directly!
One other thing to consider is IROPS or cancelations. As a Delta Plat I found it much easier dealing with Delta than AF. It took me close to 6 months and a DOT complaint to get a refund from AF for a flight they canceled. In general Delta was much faster, and no argument.
lsquare and mayhem like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.