IROP help in ATL

Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
IROP help in ATL

Due to Mech issue in AMS our flight to ATL is delayed ~3 hours so we arrive at 7:30pm and we will miss a connection to HSV. The later flights are full (8:45pm and 11pm) so I was rebooked on 9am flight next morning but are standby on Monday evening flights. We will have to check one bag (that we don’t immediately need) but will now carry on other bags to be more flexible.

We are thinking about trying to get on that 8:45 but if not just renting a car and driving the 3 hours to HSV. Waiting around for the next option at 11-something and then possibly having to find a hotel and then return the next morning just in not appealing.

My question (unless someone has a better option) is what would happen to the checked bag? If we land late in ATL and have no chance on the 8:45 I guess I could just depart the airport with it but in the event we seek out the standBy option and it doesn’t clear do I ask them for the checked bag or just let it fly to HSV the next day and pick it up when I drop the car off???
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RhinoDL
Due to Mech issue in AMS our flight to ATL is delayed ~3 hours so we arrive at 7:30pm and we will miss a connection to HSV. The later flights are full (8:45pm and 11pm) so I was rebooked on 9am flight next morning but are standby on Monday evening flights. We will have to check one bag (that we don’t immediately need) but will now carry on other bags to be more flexible.

We are thinking about trying to get on that 8:45 but if not just renting a car and driving the 3 hours to HSV. Waiting around for the next option at 11-something and then possibly having to find a hotel and then return the next morning just in not appealing.

My question (unless someone has a better option) is what would happen to the checked bag? If we land late in ATL and have no chance on the 8:45 I guess I could just depart the airport with it but in the event we seek out the standBy option and it doesn’t clear do I ask them for the checked bag or just let it fly to HSV the next day and pick it up when I drop the car off???
You’ll have to pick up the checked bag at immigration. So when re-checking there is a Delta counter. You could make the choice their to either get off the final leg or take the connecting. I would call to see if they can get on the earlier flights and keep checking.

I believe in this situation Delta would cover the hotel since it’s a mechanical issue.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:56 am
Original Poster

I called as soon as we could this morning and the only other ‘option’ was a flight that departed i80 min from the call time so that IMHO was not an actual option.

For us it is either catch the 8:45pm flight via clearing standby to HSV OR start the drive; a hotel in ATL isn’t really an option as that would be a 12+ hour delay from original time as opposed to just 4-5 hour delay if we drive. I just don’t know what to do about the checked bag If we don’t get the standby flight.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RhinoDL
I called as soon as we could this morning and the only other ‘option’ was a flight that departed i80 min from the call time so that IMHO was not an actual option.

For us it is either catch the 8:45pm flight via clearing standby to HSV OR start the drive; a hotel in ATL isn’t really an option as that would be a 12+ hour delay from original time as opposed to just 4-5 hour delay if we drive. I just don’t know what to do about the checked bag If we don’t get the standby flight.
Bag will go onto HSV even if you don't. Unlike international flights, domestic don't have positive passenger matching. Thus the bag will likely end up there before you .
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Bag will go onto HSV even if you don't. Unlike international flights, domestic don't have positive passenger matching. Thus the bag will likely end up there before you .
How do you figure? OP will have to pick up their bag at immigration
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by atldiamond
Never said they wouldn't. Has no bearing on bags going on tonight's HSV flight or tomorrow's due to passenger standby.
RhinoDL likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by atldiamond
If OP re-checks the bag at after immigration in ATL, the bag will probably make the first flight whether or not he does.
RhinoDL and flyerCO like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Coming from the EU, don't forget that Delta is required to provide a hotel during the delay (EC261 Duty of Care provisions). Also, because it is a mechanical delay, you would be entitled to EC261 compensation of 600 Euros if you are delayed into HSV by 4 hours or more. So it might be worth your while to just get the hotel, and then take the confirmed HSV flight the next morning. If you bail at ATL and make your own way, I don't know if you would still be entitled to the compensation (someone else who knows more details about EC261 would have to confirm or deny).

Last edited by wrp96; Mar 7, 2022 at 6:46 am
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Unless delayed to where 8:45 is not an option my plan was to check bag after clearing customs; and then hope stand-by clears; if not get rental and start driving. Thanks for confirmation the bag would make its way to HSV irrespective of my plans.

Staying at hotel is just not an option when only 3 hours from home, I’m sure for some that is a good trade but I’d rather be home.
wrp96 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd take an airport hotel, but pick it myself, and then ask for EC261 reimbursement and compensation. I wouldn't want to drive several hours in a rental car late at night after a delayed TATL flight. The car could also have a steep one way charge and AFAICT EC261 wouldn't force DL to reimburse the rental car costs.
wrp96, flyerCO, beachmouse and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wrp96
Coming from the EU, don't forget that Delta is required to provide a hotel during the delay (EC261 Duty of Care provisions). Also, because it is a mechanical delay, you would be entitled to EC261 compensation of 600 Euros if you are delayed into HSV by 4 hours or more. So it might be worth your while to just get the hotel, and then take the confirmed HSV flight the next morning. If you bail at ATL and make your own way, I don't know if you would still be entitled to the compensation (someone else who knows more details about EC261 would have to confirm or deny).
As long as they confirm him on the next days HSV flight he qualifies. EC261 would only be denied if they could confirm (not standby) on flight getting in within 4 hours. He doesn't have to stick around hoping standby clears..
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
1. EC261 duty of care should apply, so hotel and meals must be reimbursed by DL. But I can understand not wanting this so close to home.

2. There is an argument for EC261 delayed arrival compensation, but that is likely something DL will contest, depending on the cause for delay.

3. OP will have to wait for the bag regardless of what course of action is taken subsequently.

4. Both 1 and 2 will fall apart if OP decides to drive, and I don't see DL paying for the rental car.

5. The old question about travel insurance arises.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
There are now 2 seats available on the 11pm. Some RM contingency work may be going on due to expected storms in ATL this afternoon
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IThe car could also have a steep one way charge
Any evidence of this? Frequently there is no charge at all and many times it is nominal. Not sure how you define "steep" but I have only seen one significant charge in years of doing one-way rentals. Somewhat more frequently is that one-way isn't available at all.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by indufan
Any evidence of this? Frequently there is no charge at all and many times it is nominal. Not sure how you define "steep" but I have only seen one significant charge in years of doing one-way rentals. Somewhat more frequently is that one-way isn't available at all.
While I agree this use to be the case (nominal fee), I've seen lots more since COVID hit. Lack of supply, need to increase revenues, etc all play in.

Can also be the case, no fee is charged if vehicle needs to go back to original location. I've saved on OW fees a lot this way. In fact a location may not have RT rentals, but have OW car rentals available.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.