Wiki Posts
Search

Status - Earned vs Unearned

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.7MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Status - Earned vs Unearned

As an earned DM member, supposedly having a higher upgrade priority over those with unearned status, we assume this is benefit is being extended if we know we earned the status. Though, how do you really know? I was wondering if DL will or should show via some new indicator of your "Current" status (e.g. Diamond Medallion +), to provide the confidence your status is correctly being taken into consideration for promise of higher upgrade priority.

I guess some form of check on this if you were given the option to select Choice Benefits. Since being able to select these is based on "earning" status, it would seem their system already can determine the difference and thus would be easy to show a different status. In the end, likely a moot point since there is no way to be assured Delta IT made the appropriate coding changes to the upgrade algorithm.
audidudi and puntamita like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ability to select 2022 Choice Benefits would be one check as you noted. But you can also view your prior year earnings and details on the website on the "My Skymiles" webpage by clicking the "View Prior Year Details" link where you can effectively see where you ended up as far as "earned" status.

https://www.delta.com/acctactvty/myskymiles.action

Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL
As an earned DM member, supposedly having a higher upgrade priority over those with unearned status, we assume this is benefit is being extended if we know we earned the status. Though, how do you really know?
if you're asking if the upgrade list is actually being ordered as they say it is, there's no way to know short of asking all the other passengers for all of their status and ticket details, which of course, was exactly the situation before this new split between earned and extended medallions.
AndyKehn and SuperG1955 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe a separate boarding lane for earned status is in order!
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I mean a similar situation can be said now on AA, in theory we have a rolling 12 month set of converted "Loyalty Points" but there's no way to know one's own rolling balance let alone everyone else on the plane / upgrade list, it's a true trust game and I know of that, we have little, but, alas.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:12 pm

No way to know except suing Delta if you miss an upgrade and forcing them to go discovery. Then you can get the computer algo and see if it's working as advertised. In other words, who cares?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did we ever know whether ANY of DL’s Upgrade prioritizations were being applied properly? There are like 6-7 published priorities/tie-breakers tough I’m sure rarely more than a few end up used for any given person. Seems pointless to get worked up.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I think I was prioritized - received a complementary gate upgrade to 764 J cabin (SFO to JFK) on a deep discounted fare.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.7MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
No way to know except suing Delta if you miss an upgrade and forcing them to go discovery. Then you can get the computer algo and see if it's working as advertised. In other words, who cares?
Great suggestion! Sounds like the route to take. Thinking class action, HA! Who cares? Well me, enough to simply pose the question to others on a like minded forum. "Who cares" can be applied to just about everything on a forum for discussion of things related to a specific airlines frequent flyer program on a forum designed for such subject matter.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
How did we ever know whether ANY of DL’s Upgrade prioritizations were being applied properly? There are like 6-7 published priorities/tie-breakers tough I’m sure rarely more than a few end up used for any given person. Seems pointless to get worked up.
Who got "worked" up?
defrosted likes this.

Last edited by DeltaFFATL; Mar 8, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
This whole process has been confusing. I must have earned my status because I can select a choice benefit, except that was probably with rollover I wouldn't normally have got so did I really earn it?

My point is I stopped trying to figure it all out and the chips fell where they fell. It isn't like I could do anything about it. To op's point it would be nice to know. Although I want to say they said it that way in the email I got. However I doubt Delta wants to create two tiers for every teir in their program.

Regarding the upgrades, there is too much in play to know if it really has an impact anyway. Even if they proved it was being considered no way to know if consistently that helped secure an upgrade. As long as just one other earned medallion at the same level as you is on the flight it doesn't really matter when you are 2 of 53 for 1.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm assuming you see a 2022 Choice Benefit (indicating you earned status during 2021 calendar year)? It should be fairly obvious if you earned it or not if you look at "View Prior Year Details" page on "My Skymiles" webpage (link above) and met the Plat requirements during 2021.
MSPeconomist and HohoGAP like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I believe fare class still trumps "earned status" for complimentary upgrades, and that this must be lower down on the list of factors. I have unearned DM status this year and was #1 out of roughly 85 passengers on an upgrade list recently (SLC-ATL) when traveling on a Y fare (due to agent mistake when rebooking me after a schedule change). If earned status were the top factor, there's no way I would have been upgraded with that many elites.
defrosted likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Once you select your Choice Benefit(s) the Choice Benefits line is removed from the selection menu.

Agree that looking at the Prior Year is the best way to tell
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I believe fare class still trumps "earned status" for complimentary upgrades, and that this must be lower down on the list of factors. I have unearned DM status this year and was #1 out of roughly 85 passengers on an upgrade list recently (SLC-ATL) when traveling on a Y fare (due to agent mistake when rebooking me after a schedule change). If earned status were the top factor, there's no way I would have been upgraded with that many elites.
Unless maybe the earned DMs were upgraded prior to the gate and you were simply at the top of the heap of the unearned DMs (based on Y fare). My guess is that there are not that many earned DMs out there. While MQMs have been rolling over, MQDs have not and is likely significantly culling the herd of earned DMs. And the $250K Amex spend DM MQD Waiver is out of reach for most folks compared to $25K one.
VacationMode likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 9, 2022 at 12:39 pm
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xliioper
Unless maybe the earned DMs were upgraded prior to the gate and you were simply at the top of the heap of the unearned DMs (based on Y fare). My guess is that there are not that many earned DMs out there. While MQMs have been rolling over, MQDs have not and is likely significantly culling the herd of earned DMs.
Possible, but that particular flight had 0 F seats about a week out when I checked. Only one seat opened up that I saw, which was during boarding when someone didn't check in and the GA released the seat. It seems like there would have been at least one earned DM with 85 names on the upgrade list, but we'll never know for sure.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.