Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eCredits trapped in kids' accounts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
eCredits trapped in kids' accounts

Rookie (father) mistake. I set up accounts for my kids and started booking a few trips with them. One of those was for the Artemis I test launch and I knew it would be rescheduled a few times but I just assumed I'd use the eCredits to rebook. I generally keep a small stockpile of eCredits so no harm no foul - but I forgot one thing; these go back to their accounts and not the account of the person that paid for the tickets. Oops.

The closest search result I found was for this thread from 2015 which seems absurd. I assume this is still the policy? That the credits will be permanently linked to their account and can only be redeemed for their travel?

Transfer eCredit to another person?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
That's correct... the credit is only available to the original ticketholder.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I mean, they're still your kids, right?

I guess there's another family trip in your future...

Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:39 pm

Are they on the no-fly list?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:39 pm

I strictly use miles for my kids flights so cancellations all go back to my SkyMiles account for future use. Some people I know with young kids have them all fly domestically using up each others ecredits as young kids do not have to show any ID.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You didn't make a mistake. It doesn't matter if they have their own Skymiles accounts or not. The eCredits will still be in their name and can't be transferred to someone else. It's not actually based on having their Skymiles number on ticket (and you can't place your Skymiles number on someone else's ticket anyway). Having an account just makes it easier to access and track the credits.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 5, 2022 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I strictly use miles for my kids flights so cancellations all go back to my SkyMiles account for future use. Some people I know with young kids have them all fly domestically using up each others ecredits as young kids do not have to show any ID.
The TSA rather often asks kids to state their name when at the TSA travel document check station. While a kid could be trained to lie to the TSA about name and age and relationship, my suggestion is to not be that kind of bad role model guardian/parent.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
As the OP notes, a good reminder to insist on a refund when there's an unacceptable schedule change and not a credit. No reason to give Delta an interest-free loan which will be eventually automatically forgiven.
GUWonder and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:33 pm

I just looked and couldn’t find it, but I could’ve sworn in the last two years there was a discussion about ecredits for kids. I actually think that I responded to the thread, but the search on my mobile didn’t yield what I was looking for. If I recall correctly a parent can use a minor child’s e credit as long as they are traveling together. I don’t think you can transfer them though.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I mean, they're still your kids, right?

I guess there's another family trip in your future...

Yea, it's not the end of the world - they'll send the rocket up at some point. It's just silly to have to spend $1500 on another ticket when I have those credits parked in my kids' accounts which were purchased with a DL branded Amex. C'est la vie.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by photojojo
Yea, it's not the end of the world - they'll send the rocket up at some point. It's just silly to have to spend $1500 on another ticket when I have those credits parked in my kids' accounts which were purchased with a DL branded Amex. C'est la vie.
why don't you simply .... use the credit?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If making one booking with a ticket for the adult + ecredit named child to use that child's ecredit, what happens with the refund (to ecredit) if then only cancelling the accompanying child's confirmed ticket in the booking?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If making one booking with a ticket for the adult + ecredit named child to use that child's ecredit, what happens with the refund (to ecredit) if then only cancelling the accompanying child's confirmed ticket in the booking?
Theu simply separate the child off the reservation. Just like if was fully paid with credit card. The ecredit only gets applied to cost of the child's eticket. If value is more than that cost it doesn't get applied to the adults eticket.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I just looked and couldn’t find it, but I could’ve sworn in the last two years there was a discussion about ecredits for kids. I actually think that I responded to the thread, but the search on my mobile didn’t yield what I was looking for. If I recall correctly a parent can use a minor child’s e credit as long as they are traveling together. I don’t think you can transfer them though.
Correct. In that case the ecredit is still only applied to eticket of the child. If ecredit is more, the balance remains as ecredit, it doesn't get applied to adults eticket.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:11 am

Been there - done this - eventually I've used them but still it's the principal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.