Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta check in bags all the way to India?

Old Feb 25, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I will be traveling from Charlotte NC to Trivandrum India CLT-TRV. Expedia gave me a good rate with

Delta from CLT- JFK
Air India JFK-Delhi
Air India. Delhi- trivandrum

So my question is can I check in my baggage at Delta Charlotte Airport all the way to the final destination TRV? In other words will Delta transfer my checked baggage to Air India? Are they airline partners?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
They are not partners but if this is on one ticket, DL should be able to do it:
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-policy-.html#
Shovad747 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Shovad747
I will be traveling from Charlotte NC to Trivandrum India CLT-TRV. Expedia gave me a good rate with

Delta from CLT- JFK
Air India JFK-Delhi
Air India. Delhi- trivandrum

So my question is can I check in my baggage at Delta Charlotte Airport all the way to the final destination TRV? In other words will Delta transfer my checked baggage to Air India? Are they airline partners?
Are all flights ticketed on a single ticket? (Check to see how many ticket numbers appear on your receipt.)
Shovad747 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are all flights ticketed on a single ticket? (Check to see how many ticket numbers appear on your receipt.)
Yes it’s on a single ticket
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:28 pm

Unless I missed it...Air India isn't a Sky Team/Delta partner. I say it can't/won't be checked thru.
Shovad747 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Unless I missed it...Air India isn't a Sky Team/Delta partner. I say it can't/won't be checked thru.
Even if it's on a single ticket? I thought that it's only necessary for the two carriers to have an interline-baggage agreement in order for bags to be through-checked.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This has zero to do with checking thru. If it's on one ticket bags will be checked through. (As long as they have interline bag agreements)

Even across separate tickets, bags can be checked through if there's an agreement. DL policy on guarantees this for certain close partners.. However most agent will do it with any airline. I frequently check across tickets from DL to AY (FINNAIR).

Originally Posted by guv1976
Even if it's on a single ticket? I thought that it's only necessary for the two carriers to have an interline-baggage agreement in order for bags to be through-checked.
Correct.
Shovad747 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
So when your bag doesn't arrive who will track it and compensate you at your destination. Prepare for the answer "we are still looking and/or waiting for Delta to respond".
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
So when your bag doesn't arrive who will track it and compensate you at your destination. Prepare for the answer "we are still looking and/or waiting for Delta to respond".
It’s one ticket and international at that so that answer is governed by the Montreal Convention.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
While in theory the bags should be able to be transferred if the airlines have an agreement, and especially if on a single ticket, how much of a connection time do you have at JFK? Just thinking worst case you are unable to have DL thru-check at CLT and must reclaim and re-check with Air India at JFK.

Before accepting they can't be checked thru, politely ask for a "Redcoat" in CLT if the first agent declines. My experience is front-line agents often don't know how to manually edit a bag's destination if the computer doesn't automatically do it correctly.

Good luck and please report back to let us know how it went!
MSPeconomist and Shovad747 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The final carrier, even if they never touched the bag. But as this is a single ticket, I think these concerns are presently not warranted.
flyerCO, wrp96, DLASflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Even if across separate tickets, carrier that flew you into final destination. Even if bag sits in CLT, AI would be responsible if DL tagged through to India.

This convention is around because the carrier you checked in with, may not have service at your final destination. Really important also in IRROPS. Even if put on OAL, you file with the OAL, not airline you were supposed to fly.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:24 am

I guess I did "miss it". I used the baggage calculator at Delta.com. Non-medallion, non-Amex card holder gets 2 50lb bags checked free to TRV.
My bad.....
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:33 pm

Where do you go through customs? If you go through customs in DEL, can they check the bags through to TRV?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gruntermen
Where do you go through customs? If you go through customs in DEL, can they check the bags through to TRV?
Yes. Just like when fly into US, bags are still tagged to final destination. This despite needing to clear customs at POE.
Shovad747 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.