Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta ATL to CPT Consolidated Discussion Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta ATL to CPT Consolidated Discussion Threads

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
Any projection on when DL will start selling seats on the ATL-CPT flight due to begin November 18th (if I recall correctly).
I'd love to be on it. Please keep updated.
chunmin likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'd love to be on it. Please keep updated.
I will, been following it daily and hope to be on the flight too. Connecting from DTW.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:04 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Oh this is cool...I have been looking for a cheap Delta One sky miles flight from JNB to ATL on Nov 27th. I wonder if they will have deals for CPT to ATL. Fingers crossed.
HohoGAP likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SSF556
Oh this is cool...I have been looking for a cheap Delta One sky miles flight from JNB to ATL on Nov 27th. I wonder if they will have deals for CPT to ATL. Fingers crossed.
Be prepared to have your hopes dashed as it will likely be priced like JNB D1 awards at 300K+ each-way for DL metal from ATL to South Africa. Partner metal J awards to/from South Africa through AMS/CDG are a more reasonable 115K miles (but with very limited availability).
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:34 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by xliioper
Be prepared to have your hopes dashed as it will likely be priced like JNB D1 awards at 300K+ each-way for DL metal from ATL to South Africa. Partner metal J awards to/from South Africa through AMS/CDG are a more reasonable 115K miles (but with very limited availability).
Yea I know been in this game for years….occasionally a 115K one way pops up for JNB out of ATL. Our departing flight on Nov 15th is ATL - JNB nonstop and we got that for 115,000pp. I recently saw 115K pp for JNB to DFW with a stop in CDG for Nov 26, we could not make that work
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Just booked ATL-CPT RT early January, $2500 PS then GUC UG confirmed. Was trying to decide where to use my (probably) last-ever GUCs and came across CPT. Never been or considered before, so any CPT/eastern Cape experts, love to get your input!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by EditingFX
Just booked ATL-CPT RT early January, $2500 PS then GUC UG confirmed. Was trying to decide where to use my (probably) last-ever GUCs and came across CPT. Never been or considered before, so any CPT/eastern Cape experts, love to get your input!
Any reason why you are skipping the western Cape? There is lots to do there. I’d spend a few days in CPT then rent a car and explore the wine area, then the Garden Route. I think January is peak season so you should try to book hotels in advance. Depends on how much time you have and your interests.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there a tentative or confirmed date for when this route will start?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there a tentative or confirmed date for when this route will start?
According to Delta’s press release from July, service is supposed to start Dec 17
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:17 am

I've heard dates in late November (above) and December as route starting dates. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for hiccups booking so soon after the route opens, but need to use the GUCs by 1/31 of course.

As to the Western Cape, I've heard great things about the wine country there, and it may happen, but my tentative route I don't think allows time for it. 17 days total - 2 each way for travel, so 12-13 days on the ground. Thinking 3 days after arrival in CPT, then drive past the northern end of the Garden Route, days of stops on the way, eventually getting to the Addo Elephant National Park for at least an overnight. Then a casual 2 day drive back to CPT (about 8 hr drive). Haven't gotten granular on the planning yet, but with casual travel, not rushing, think adding Western would be a bit much.

I saw a GUC avail on 12/30 ATL-JNB-CPT, and was about to grab it but luckily checked CPT hotel avail for NY's eve/NY's... lol. Fail.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's currently loaded to start Dec 17th (Mo, Th, Sa) as noted in press release.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by EditingFX
I've heard dates in late November (above) and December as route starting dates. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for hiccups booking so soon after the route opens, but need to use the GUCs by 1/31 of course.

As to the Western Cape, I've heard great things about the wine country there, and it may happen, but my tentative route I don't think allows time for it. 17 days total - 2 each way for travel, so 12-13 days on the ground. Thinking 3 days after arrival in CPT, then drive past the northern end of the Garden Route, days of stops on the way, eventually getting to the Addo Elephant National Park for at least an overnight. Then a casual 2 day drive back to CPT (about 8 hr drive). Haven't gotten granular on the planning yet, but with casual travel, not rushing, think adding Western would be a bit much.

I saw a GUC avail on 12/30 ATL-JNB-CPT, and was about to grab it but luckily checked CPT hotel avail for NY's eve/NY's... lol. Fail.
Yes hotel availability might be tight.

There is probably good info in the South Africa forum. Before going over there, realize that aside from Addo, everything you describe is in the Western Cape, which is a province. Addo is in the Eastern Cape, not far I believe from Port Elizabeth (or whatever it’s called now). If you don’t want to drive back to CPT, dropping your car off and flying from PE to CPT might be an option.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
...aside from Addo, everything you describe is in the Western Cape, which is a province. Addo is in the Eastern Cape, not far I believe from Port Elizabeth (or whatever it’s called now). If you don’t want to drive back to CPT, dropping your car off and flying from PE to CPT might be an option.
Ohhh... I assumed that it'd be called Eastern, due to being east of CPT/L'Agulhas. Didn't realize it was a province! Now I see on the map.... live & (hopefully) learn! Yup, saw the PE-CPT option, might decide on that, but figured outbound we'd hug the coastal roads, make it a slow trek, and then return R62, stopping at Oudtshoorn for example. Haven't decided yet if that's too many days for Garden, but also want it to be a relaxing trip.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Thinking about taking this SAN-ATL-JNB-CPT route to Cape town in February. Does anyone know if passengers have to get off the plane and get back on after landing in JNB if they are continuing on to CPT? Even if we have to exit the aircraft, I am assuming we will wait in some holding area instead of going through any security checks or other formalities?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arunhn
Thinking about taking this SAN-ATL-JNB-CPT route to Cape town in February. Does anyone know if passengers have to get off the plane and get back on after landing in JNB if they are continuing on to CPT? Even if we have to exit the aircraft, I am assuming we will wait in some holding area instead of going through any security checks or other formalities?
Everyone should be required to go through security and immigration at JNB. You do both even when connecting to another international flight.

However I thought DL decided against triangle and instead went nonstop. Did this change again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.