Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Policy? Flight Attendants giving "Red Warning Cards" to unruly passengers!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Policy? Flight Attendants giving "Red Warning Cards" to unruly passengers!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Red cards? What's next, two minutes for holding, 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.... Lol

Frankly, it's about time and I too will be looking forward to the national no-fly list.
psusaver likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
With or without a parachute?

Do you want my inside voice or my outside voice?

I suppose they can wait until the plane lands, and put the person on the "no fly list", or arrested, if that's indicated.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
I recently posted on a BA thread about the lack of personal responsibility so many are suffering from, and lamenting how parents are failing to teach children about the notion of developing strong moral character. I reread this thread and it makes me sad for all of us that we have descended so low that FA's now need to hand out red cards, and have clients met by police at the jet bridge, because of a pax's abhorrent behaviour. Passengers have become so self-entitled about everything - where they should sit (see self-upgrading pax), how they should dress, how they should behave on a plane towards other pax and cabin crew, and how they should eat and drink on board - that so many treat flying commercial as if they were alone on a private jet.
The mask issue is just the most recent irritant, but there were plenty of examples of this abhorrent behaviour before COVID, and it seems to mirror the general breakdown in personal responsibility in society at large.
It is shameful that on top of the myriad responsibilities of cabin crews, they now need to learn how to use zipties and duct tape to subdue unruly passengers. We're losing our decency and our own self-respect, and I suspect we haven't even seen the bottom yet.
So the question is: is it time to set common definitions of what abhorrent behaviour will generate a specific response? i.e. what offense will generate a temporary ban? A permanent ban? Would such rules work on FOTSG pax?
The bigger question is can we install pain points that are effective enough to keep people from misbehaving?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
I recently posted on a BA thread about the lack of personal responsibility so many are suffering from, and lamenting how parents are failing to teach children about the notion of developing strong moral character. I reread this thread and it makes me sad for all of us that we have descended so low that FA's now need to hand out red cards, and have clients met by police at the jet bridge, because of a pax's abhorrent behaviour. Passengers have become so self-entitled about everything - where they should sit (see self-upgrading pax), how they should dress, how they should behave on a plane towards other pax and cabin crew, and how they should eat and drink on board - that so many treat flying commercial as if they were alone on a private jet.
The mask issue is just the most recent irritant, but there were plenty of examples of this abhorrent behaviour before COVID, and it seems to mirror the general breakdown in personal responsibility in society at large.
It is shameful that on top of the myriad responsibilities of cabin crews, they now need to learn how to use zipties and duct tape to subdue unruly passengers. We're losing our decency and our own self-respect, and I suspect we haven't even seen the bottom yet.
So the question is: is it time to set common definitions of what abhorrent behaviour will generate a specific response? i.e. what offense will generate a temporary ban? A permanent ban? Would such rules work on FOTSG pax?
The bigger question is can we install pain points that are effective enough to keep people from misbehaving?
I observed an passenger (WN or AS) watch a movie/TV without headphones on a flight. It was loud enough that I could hear it faintly despite wearing QC35s. Two different FAs addressed her 3 different times throughout the flight, and she simply ignored their request that she use headphones or do something else.

It seems like a no-brainer item of common courtesy to me… but courtesy just isn’t as common any more. Your observations about entitlement and “i’m going to do whatever I want” are spot on… and not just on airlines. It’s just that the airplane is a confined space and the boiling point is lower.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
They should give a yellow card as a warning, and then a red card comes with ejection from the plane.
"We're changing your seat. Your new seat assignment is on the wing."
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:51 am

What you’re probably referring to is the “Notice Of Violation” Card. There is one onboard every aircraft though they are not red, they’re white. They are given to passengers who are in violation of a FAR and always done with in coordination with the flight deck. It basically says you may be breaking one of the following laws (list of laws) and the potential punishments that could result. If you get one of these you can almost be assured that someone in Atlanta is making phone calls.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:11 am

Looking like the seat poaching thread is locked, but made me think of an incident I had recently. I boarded the a/c and someone is in my seat in C+. I politely said, "pardon me, but I have been assigned seat x" to which she responds "pick a different seat." There is only one seat left in the cabin and its a middle seat and I am not giving up my aisle seat that she is occupying (I am assuming the middle seat is hers...and I was right). I asked her if she minded double checking her seat and she says 24A. I tell her that seat is a few rows back. Now she says 18A, (which is occupied and happens to be the gate assignment). She starts off about how seats are no big deal, and then passengers around me start joining my side and encouraging her to move to her assigned seat. I motioned over to the FA to make sure she was aware that there was a difficult pax, at which point the pax decided to move to her assigned middle seat (while saying some pretty nasty things about me). Words don't hurt and she was just making herself look crazy. Two other people got to deal with her the rest of the flight and I wasn't stuck in a middle seat and there were no further incidents. Definitely got me thinking about game plans for what I was going to do if she went bonkers though.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Genius! Whether you're pro on con on the mask laws, it ends debate on something that isn't up for debate.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
She starts off about how seats are no big deal...

What's funny is how the seat assignments are often "no big deal" to the folks who are in someone else's seat.
Statman, rylan, Hoyaheel and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by twitch76
I observed an passenger (WN or AS) watch a movie/TV without headphones on a flight. It was loud enough that I could hear it faintly despite wearing QC35s. Two different FAs addressed her 3 different times throughout the flight, and she simply ignored their request that she use headphones or do something else.

It seems like a no-brainer item of common courtesy to me… but courtesy just isn’t as common any more. Your observations about entitlement and “i’m going to do whatever I want” are spot on… and not just on airlines. It’s just that the airplane is a confined space and the boiling point is lower.
I was on a flight where the couple behind me loudly played a drunk rendition of the happy birthday song over and over, including during the safety demo, which no one in the first half dozen or so rows could hear. It apparently was a video from the guy's birthday party the previous week.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
Looking like the seat poaching thread is locked, but made me think of an incident I had recently. I boarded the a/c and someone is in my seat in C+. I politely said, "pardon me, but I have been assigned seat x" to which she responds "pick a different seat." There is only one seat left in the cabin and its a middle seat and I am not giving up my aisle seat that she is occupying (I am assuming the middle seat is hers...and I was right). I asked her if she minded double checking her seat and she says 24A. I tell her that seat is a few rows back. Now she says 18A, (which is occupied and happens to be the gate assignment). She starts off about how seats are no big deal, and then passengers around me start joining my side and encouraging her to move to her assigned seat. I motioned over to the FA to make sure she was aware that there was a difficult pax, at which point the pax decided to move to her assigned middle seat (while saying some pretty nasty things about me). Words don't hurt and she was just making herself look crazy. Two other people got to deal with her the rest of the flight and I wasn't stuck in a middle seat and there were no further incidents. Definitely got me thinking about game plans for what I was going to do if she went bonkers though.
Waste of time. I don’t even acknowledge the person sitting in my seat. I simply let the FA handle it.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Waste of time. I don’t even acknowledge the person sitting in my seat. I simply let the FA handle it.

That's probably the optimal approach.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:29 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
That just causes more embarrassment to a clod like me that mixes up boarding passes on connections. I gladly move as soon as I learn of my mistake
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
That just causes more embarrassment to a clod like me that mixes up boarding passes on connections. I gladly move as soon as I learn of my mistake

Just look at the one you used to board the plane.

I keed. Yes, sometimes this does happen.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Hi do you have a picture of these? I had no clue these even existed until yesterday, but I am sure it was colored red/maroon. Maybe red because its Delta branded? Is this federal offense?
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
What you’re probably referring to is the “Notice Of Violation” Card. There is one onboard every aircraft though they are not red, they’re white. They are given to passengers who are in violation of a FAR and always done with in coordination with the flight deck. It basically says you may be breaking one of the following laws (list of laws) and the potential punishments that could result. If you get one of these you can almost be assured that someone in Atlanta is making phone calls.
yellow card right after the whistle sound from the FA on the overhead sound system
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
They should give a yellow card as a warning, and then a red card comes with ejection from the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.