Wiki Posts
Search

Award space in J on KLM SFO-AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Award space in J on KLM SFO-AMS?

As an SFO based flyer, I have tried for years to find partner award space on KLM SFO-AMS in J. I have never once seen a single seat. I always end up having to go through SEA or SLC to get to Europe in J. It's annoying and a major reason I often consider switching to United, even though I absolutely hate them.

I'm wondering, has anyone *ever* seen space open up on this route? Any tricks?

Edited to add: SFO-CDG is also never available. No way to fly to Europe in J with skymiles from SFO.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Feb 3, 2022 at 12:03 pm
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Only using KL FlyingBlue points back in the day... I think I saw it in 2011 when I had that currency.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
As an SFO based flyer, I have tried for years to find partner award space on KLM SFO-AMS in J. I have never once seen a single seat. I always end up having to go through SEA or SLC to get to Europe in J. It's annoying and a major reason I often consider switching to United, even though I absolutely hate them.

I'm wondering, has anyone *ever* seen space open up on this route? Any tricks?

Edited to add: SFO-CDG is also never available. No way to fly to Europe in J with skymiles from SFO.
This was going back to 2016 (and booked in 2015) but I did book 2 J tickets for CDG-SFO on AF with DL miles. I don’t recall if options on KLM via AMS came up, but I wanted to get an A380 so I went with AF there. When I booked, I could get either CDG-SFO-SEA or CDG-LAX-SEA. I opted to go via SFO to avoid dealing with LAX.

I didn’t book it since I was able to get a ticket out of AUS but I was playing with different cities and for a trip in Summer 2020 (that I booked pre-COVID and was unable to take), I did see some space on AF J out of SFO to CDG then onward in Europe.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This has not been my experience and I'm also SFO based. I've exclusively redeemed GUCs on AF and KL (mostly KL because of the better fare code eligibility) since earning DM 5 or so years ago.

Without knowing your specific circumstances I'll say the following has helped me in redeeming GUCs:
  1. Flexibility on dates, routing, destination
  2. EF subscription
  3. Patience with DM desk and lots of HUCA as KL GUC redemptions can be tricky since it involves GTS and some many agents are not well versed in the process.

In the past month I've redeemed GUCs for SFO-AMS-DUS and SFO-AMS-BKK-AMS-SFO on KL later this year.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JAeX
This has not been my experience and I'm also SFO based. I've exclusively redeemed GUCs on AF and KL (mostly KL because of the better fare code eligibility) since earning DM 5 or so years ago.

Without knowing your specific circumstances I'll say the following has helped me in redeeming GUCs:
  1. Flexibility on dates, routing, destination
  2. EF subscription
  3. Patience with DM desk and lots of HUCA as KL GUC redemptions can be tricky since it involves GTS and some many agents are not well versed in the process.

In the past month I've redeemed GUCs for SFO-AMS-DUS and SFO-AMS-BKK-AMS-SFO on KL later this year.
GUC books into Z, not O on KLM.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They can open up near end-of-schedule. KL SFO-AMS has space in business on December 28th - not really seeing anything else on KL. AF SFO-CDG availability is considerably better including a number of dates in July/August. The non-stop filter is set for below so only dates with AF SFO-CDG non-stop partner award availability show. There is some connecting partner availability on SFO-AMS in the summer involving either SFO-LHR-AMS (SFO-LHR on VS) or SFO-CDG-AMS.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 3, 2022 at 11:44 pm
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:25 pm

We booked coach tickets with Flying Blue miles and scored a last minute cash upgrade for ~$750:to business on SFO-AMS. Was worth it. Not what you are asking, but its an option I suppose.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
We booked coach tickets with Flying Blue miles and scored a last minute cash upgrade for ~$750:to business on SFO-AMS. Was worth it. Not what you are asking, but its an option I suppose.
Well, if you want to take your chances on KL DoD upgrade offers, there's plenty of availability on SFO-AMS non-stop in coach with DL Skymiles as well.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 4, 2022 at 7:27 am
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
Well, if you want to take your chances on KL DoD upgrade offers, there's plenty of availability on SFO-AMS non-stop in coach with DL Skymiles as well.

Unless its a heavy travel day, there's generally always one open seat on any KLM flight. Mainly because everyone knows you can do DoD upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.