Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:54 am
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by Zorak
I've seen this before. Trying to repro the ATL-IAH screenshot shown above, it only appears if you specifically select First Class when doing the search, then you only see First Class and Refundable First Class columns in the results.

I'm pretty sure though, that this does not actually mean anything special beyond "there is a refundable first class fare available" + DL IT in terms of how the message is constructed. It does not mean you can convert a non-refundable fare to a refundable one by using a RUC.
That's exactly how I had it appear (select FC for search). I have to do some mileage argument tonight on the phone so I'll ask at the end of the call if this means anything or is just a glitch.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You cannot make a non-refundable ticket refundable by applying an RUC; this is 100% a website display thing. Not completely sure how it happens though.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting, since my flight shows OL for both the first class segment and the domestic D1 segment. Hasn't been reissued yet so maybe it'll change when they do that.
My re-issued ORD-SLC-HNL (FC on ORD-SLC and D1 SLC-HNL) shows OL for both segments
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I want to make sure info I've been told and info I've repeated since was told is correct. (Or if agent I just talked with is correct)

Domestic D1 route. (JFK-LAX)

If D1 upgrade space is available either a GUC or RUC can be used. Agent insist there is now different upgrade buckets for D1 on domestic D1 routes. One bucket for RUC, one for GUC. The last time I talked with an agent they told me if system shows D1 available on domestic D1 route, a RUC can still be used, but system will tell agent a RUC can't be used. (Due to fact it is searching for upgrade inventory as if flight was domestic First class)

Can someone verify?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I want to make sure info I've been told and info I've repeated since was told is correct. (Or if agent I just talked with is correct)

Domestic D1 route. (JFK-LAX)

If D1 upgrade space is available either a GUC or RUC can be used. Agent insist there is now different upgrade buckets for D1 on domestic D1 routes. One bucket for RUC, one for GUC. The last time I talked with an agent they told me if system shows D1 available on domestic D1 route, a RUC can still be used, but system will tell agent a RUC can't be used. (Due to fact it is searching for upgrade inventory as if flight was domestic First class)

Can someone verify?
Agent was correct - for domestic D1 routes, RUCs book into OX (which corresponds to OY inventory), and GUCs book into OK (which corresponds to Z inventory).

There are some reports above of agents booking into OL for domestic D1, that is a mistake (unless something changed).
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Note I've had two different agents book domestic D1 into OL with a RUC in the past couple weeks. Gong to call to get ticket reissued tomorrow so will report back how that goes.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:54 pm

just tried to use 4 RUC's while booking a trip, i had just selected them so they weren't in my account yet but agent booked the trip accordingly

i'm booked into first class but they said i just need to call back later to have the RUC's "pulled". what if I just didn't?

seems like it might error out as i get closer to the trip?

Last edited by ja70; Aug 9, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ja70
just tried to use 4 RUC's while booking a trip, i had just selected them so they weren't in my account yet but agent booked the trip accordingly

i'm booked into first class but they said i just need to call back later to have the RUC's "pulled". what if I just didn't?

Ticket will never be reissued and thus you won't be able to checkin.

There's two things you need to board a plane. A reservation which holds a seat for you, and a ticket which pays for that held seat. If that ticket shows payment only for a coach seat, you won't be allowed to board if you hold a seat in First Class.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ja70

I may or may not know somebody who had the same thing, but the agent didn't tell this person that this person needed to call back, instead saying they will do it tomorrow themselves. The agent never did it and the person got 2 free RUCs essentially.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I may or may not know somebody who had the same thing, but the agent didn't tell this person that this person needed to call back, instead saying they will do it tomorrow themselves. The agent never did it and the person got 2 free RUCs essentially.
Have they flown yet? Ticket must be reissued to fly in F.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Have they flown yet? Ticket must be reissued to fly in F.

Yes the person has. The person could not check in online the first time, but thought nothing of it because sometimes that just happens, but counter check in went fine.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes the person has.
It is most likely agent didn't correctly attach RUC. Ticket has to be reissued to checkin. If no one did anything, your friend wouldn't have been able to checkin. Possible agent at checkin overrode system. Agent can do that.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:56 pm
21A

Yes the person has. The person could not check in online the first time, but thought nothing of it because sometimes that just happens, but counter check in went fine.
Check the next day and see if the RUCs have closed. I’ve posted about this above; it’s less common, but there does exist a process where they can be attached without reissue, in which case they close a day or so after you fly and the ticket is lifted. This is similar to how, when you pay for a seat map/single leg upgrade, you can see on the receipt a new EMD for the upsell amount is attached, rather than reissuing the original ticket. It is true that to check in a reservation with an upgrade, that upgrade must be supported by a method of payment, but that payment can be on a different document number than the original ticket.

(This is also what happens when you use them to bump your priority at the gate, since the gate clearance process is just seat assignments/departure control and doesn’t involve any kind of ticket reissue.)
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:16 am

So I'm new to this, I just got plat. Before I got plat, I booked a JFK-SFO RT flights - that no longer say available upgrade certs (when I search the flight). I was wondering if this is something I should call to waitlist or it's something I can wait for a medallion upgrade? (I already moved from MC to C+ given the new plat status). And I know JFK-SFO is a hot route (this one actually has 20+ D1 seats and tons of MC seats available still so seems like a quieter flight). I also wonder like for future reference, is there a way I can like request w/ RUC and if I happen to be able to clear Medallion upgrade, then it saves my RUC or is there no way to like "try both" it's either one or the other?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am still pretty new to this. Also considering DL starts to classify some Hawaii flights with D1 instead of F. Anyway, I'm looking at my itinerary below after I called the platinum line moments ago today. The flight HNL-SEA itself sells F/C+/Y only, not D1. Yet I have OX instead of OL. Should I worry about that? Also, whenever I want to change my seat, it asks me for another hundred of dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.