Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 22, 11:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: tardyturtle
Wiki Link
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Im not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.








Print Wikipost

Old Jul 29, 22, 8:02 am
  #436  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
If you have a surly agent it may not help but if you have a nice but uninformed agent, sometimes you can do a bit of training yourself, if you feel like it, by gently saying things like "You know that's weird, I swear I've been able to upgrade an entire connecting itinerary with a single RUC before, are you able to double check on that?" When that works it's probably a better chance of actually improving service than whatever may happen with emails or surveys sent after the fact, sadly. But I also agree it shouldn't be the customers' responsibility to have properly trained phone agents...
True. Also, it might be that you're not right about something, in spite of reading flyertalk. So it's always possible you learn something yourself.
Goodoldflyer is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:00 am
  #437  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 80
I have never taken the RUCs as a benefit before. I typically just pay for first and they seemed like a PITA to me. I always just took miles. I decided to take them recently just to give it a try. I just tried to use my first one for an upcoming JFK - DEN flight. It was super smooth (kind of a weird flight time so that helped), already showing in first in the app and only a 2 minute phone wait time to speak with the loveliest agent.

I feel so lucky I think Mega Millions might be in the cards for me too tonight.

Anyhoo, just wanted to share a non-misery story. Happy Friday!
sonkie23 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:40 am
  #438  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: SJC/SFO/OAK
Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Posts: 1,603
Originally Posted by sonkie23 View Post
I have never taken the RUCs as a benefit before. I typically just pay for first and they seemed like a PITA to me. I always just took miles. I decided to take them recently just to give it a try. I just tried to use my first one for an upcoming JFK - DEN flight. It was super smooth (kind of a weird flight time so that helped), already showing in first in the app and only a 2 minute phone wait time to speak with the loveliest agent.

I feel so lucky I think Mega Millions might be in the cards for me too tonight.

Anyhoo, just wanted to share a non-misery story. Happy Friday!
Yes! On average, I've had very good luck with these, even on fairly elite heavy routes like ATL-SFO. I particularly like the new feature by which you can see - at booking - whether or not they are immediately available. Even when they aren't, I typically end up getting upgraded anyway. My only criticism/suggestion would be to make this process easier - specifically not having to call in and have them do it. I'd prefer just doing it all myself.
rrz518 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 7:01 pm
  #439  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Delta
Posts: 12
I AM LOST!!! Where can I get info/clarification on what you all are talking about in regards to the classes?
I don't know where to find that info.
I have quite a few upgrade certificates that I most likely will not be able to use this year!
Thanks for the info,

I am a Diamond-Dummy
walkswithdogs is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 7:48 pm
  #440  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver
Posts: 200
I think this is what he means - now on some flights (usually the ones with very a lot of open space) will tell you right away that RUC can be used without waitlist.
See below


Disclaimer: don't burn an RUC on a SFO-LAX flight
Fes426 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 7:57 pm
  #441  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: At an Airport
Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Posts: 362
I wrote in asking DL to reverse the expiration date from 1/31/23 to one year after requesting the certificates; it's been very difficult to use them and still some haven't been able to return to normal travel since covid. Would be nice if others agree to write in asking for the reversal at least for this year. Was really bummed when they did the expiration date change to 1/31
dldmfll is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 9:08 pm
  #442  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Posts: 825
Originally Posted by dldmfll View Post
I wrote in asking DL to reverse the expiration date from 1/31/23 to one year after requesting the certificates; it's been very difficult to use them and still some haven't been able to return to normal travel since covid. Would be nice if others agree to write in asking for the reversal at least for this year. Was really bummed when they did the expiration date change to 1/31
I asked in a new thread if anyone had luck using them after the date. No one replied there yet. Wondering if folks have data points of agents being willing to book a ticket after the expiration date as a courtesy.
Pianoman109876 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:28 am
  #443  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post
I asked in a new thread if anyone had luck using them after the date. No one replied there yet. Wondering if folks have data points of agents being willing to book a ticket after the expiration date as a courtesy.
No. They've extended them enough. At a certain point, it makes it hard to use the new ones. Sort of like rolling over status for everyone.

If everybody has status, nobody has status.
Goodoldflyer is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:36 am
  #444  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
No. They've extended them enough. At a certain point, it makes it hard to use the new ones. Sort of like rolling over status for everyone.

If everybody has status, nobody has status.
what he's talking about is not extending them but going back to the time where you could wait until December 2022 to call in for your 2022 earned RUC and have them until December 2023 (so you got less time actually, a true year, but it was a rolling year)

also i have to say everybody having status has still given me a lot of status i never had before, even if it is slightly less status than the same status name used to mean.
Pocatello likes this.
flyerfirsts is online now  
Old Aug 2, 22, 7:04 am
  #445  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Posts: 825
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
No. They've extended them enough. At a certain point, it makes it hard to use the new ones. Sort of like rolling over status for everyone.

If everybody has status, nobody has status.
How does my possessing of a certificate make yours more difficult to use? Unless we're both competing for the same exact upgrade space, doubtful. I've been seeing Delta release MORE upgrade space (particularly on JFK/SFO-LAX routes) lately.
Pianoman109876 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 7:41 am
  #446  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post
How does my possessing of a certificate make yours more difficult to use? Unless we're both competing for the same exact upgrade space, doubtful. I've been seeing Delta release MORE upgrade space (particularly on JFK/SFO-LAX routes) lately.
If expired certs are allowed, it devalues the unexpired ones, and also medallion status, as a seat that would go to an individual with status or a cert may go to someone with an expired cert. And there are a LOT of certs due to expire in Jan 2023, from the last several years.

Same upgrades, more people eligible.

Based on your assumption that there is plenty of upgrade space, then medallion members (including you as a platinum medallion member) will be eligible for upgrades.


.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Aug 2, 22 at 7:49 am
Goodoldflyer is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 8:16 am
  #447  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Posts: 1,264
Originally Posted by sonkie23 View Post
I have never taken the RUCs as a benefit before. I typically just pay for first and they seemed like a PITA to me. I always just took miles. I decided to take them recently just to give it a try. I just tried to use my first one for an upcoming JFK - DEN flight. It was super smooth (kind of a weird flight time so that helped), already showing in first in the app and only a 2 minute phone wait time to speak with the loveliest agent.

I feel so lucky I think Mega Millions might be in the cards for me too tonight.

Anyhoo, just wanted to share a non-misery story. Happy Friday!
I also had a great experience yesterday applying RUCs to a flight for myself and companion.
This was through messaging, and the agent proactively re-issued the tickets (flight is 8 weeks away) without me even having to ask.
sonkie23 likes this.
MarkCron is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 8:33 am
  #448  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
If you have a surly agent it may not help but if you have a nice but uninformed agent, sometimes you can do a bit of training yourself, if you feel like it, by gently saying things like "You know that's weird, I swear I've been able to upgrade an entire connecting itinerary with a single RUC before, are you able to double check on that?" When that works it's probably a better chance of actually improving service than whatever may happen with emails or surveys sent after the fact, sadly. But I also agree it shouldn't be the customers' responsibility to have properly trained phone agents...

I called in to apply an RUC to JFK-SJO with a layover in ATL. Prior to the phone agent putting me on hold to apply the RUC, I asked if only one is needed. She confirmed yes only one is needed. She came back and asked which leg I wanted to apply the RUC. Confused, I said I thought only one was needed? She put me back on hold and the flights were upgraded. Prior to hanging up, I asked her to confirm that only one RUC was needed/used and she confirmed. Felt like I was going in a circle with her but we'll see when the flight date comes!
xjaehyun is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:18 am
  #449  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 24,082
Originally Posted by xjaehyun View Post
I called in to apply an RUC to JFK-SJO with a layover in ATL. Prior to the phone agent putting me on hold to apply the RUC, I asked if only one is needed. She confirmed yes only one is needed. She came back and asked which leg I wanted to apply the RUC. Confused, I said I thought only one was needed? She put me back on hold and the flights were upgraded. Prior to hanging up, I asked her to confirm that only one RUC was needed/used and she confirmed. Felt like I was going in a circle with her but we'll see when the flight date comes!
Was it a through fare?
flyerCO is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 1:56 pm
  #450  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Was it a through fare?

Single PNR so it should stay as one RUC being used. Coke cans and I want to say winglets helped me out with that before I called Delta.
xjaehyun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread