Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 21A
An experience I haven’t seen mentioned here — seems in some cases RUC application doesn’t require re-ticketing?

Called in a couple months ahead to apply on a flight that had confirmable OL space for self and companion. Reservation changed to OL, no reticketing. Decided to leave it and see if it comes up in the queue.

T-24 rolls around, still same ticket number. Expected an error, but to my surprise, no issues checking in on app or at kiosk. Boarded and took FC seats with original ticket number on BP. I also happened to notice that the SDC screen in the app allowed confirmed changes to other flights with FC availability, and standby for those without. Did not need to SDC so can’t confirm it would have worked.

Initially I thought this might have been a “bank error in my favor,” but the morning after the flight, the two RUCs were closed. Flight posted to SkyMiles with original ticket number, receipt shows FLWN, so no indication there was ever a reissue or another ticket number.

No idea what might be happening on the back-end here — revalidation? — and why it would be applicable in some situations while others still require reticketing.
Has anyone else experienced the above scenario recently? I called in last week to apply RUCs for a trip in August. EF showed plenty of Z availability for all four legs, the phone agent confirmed that and processed everything pretty quickly. After the call both of us are showing OL and have seats in F, however we were not re-ticketed. I'm just wondering if I should call in and request to be re-ticketed, and if so, now or wait until I hit a snag at OLCI? I really don't want to lose our seats.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just had a ticket that did not get reissued, and blocked OLCI. Called this morning and it took a merciful 12 minutes (including initial hold) to resolve.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Magnum75
Has anyone else experienced the above scenario recently? I called in last week to apply RUCs for a trip in August. EF showed plenty of Z availability for all four legs, the phone agent confirmed that and processed everything pretty quickly. After the call both of us are showing OL and have seats in F, however we were not re-ticketed. I'm just wondering if I should call in and request to be re-ticketed, and if so, now or wait until I hit a snag at OLCI? I really don't want to lose our seats.
Won't lose seat, but ticket must be reissued. If it can't be done by departure time, then risk is that flight departs without you.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is known issue. Nothing but hope agents agrees to go by website.
They won't. I just had this issue with a trip booked for August. DL.com showed upgrades available on all four segments with an RUC. Had to be waitlisted on one. When I asked about the discrepancy, the agent said the correct booking code wasn't available. I read her the buckets directly from the certificate and she disagreed and said it only works in OY. She also told me even if it says "available" that doesn't mean it's available. I wasn't going to debate this with her.

It was the shortest flight of the four segments, but still annoying.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
They won't. I just had this issue with a trip booked for August. DL.com showed upgrades available on all four segments with an RUC. Had to be waitlisted on one. When I asked about the discrepancy, the agent said the correct booking code wasn't available. I read her the buckets directly from the certificate and she disagreed and said it only works in OY. She also told me even if it says "available" that doesn't mean it's available. I wasn't going to debate this with her.

It was the shortest flight of the four segments, but still annoying.
This kind of stuff really annoys me about Delta. That and the difficulty with calling to get upgrade carts handled correctly in the first place.
DCAproducer and Minnyappleus like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:52 pm
21A

Won't lose seat, but ticket must be reissued. If it can't be done by departure time, then risk is that flight departs without you.
Not sure I really agree this is a major risk — check-in agent would resync it if queue didn't do it and you didn’t call. I guess the flight could depart without you if you didn’t arrive with enough time to wait in the special services line, with lines as they are nowadays!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 21A
Not sure I really agree this is a major risk — check-in agent would resync it if queue didn't do it and you didn’t call. I guess the flight could depart without you if you didn’t arrive with enough time to wait in the special services line, with lines as they are nowadays!
The problem is the TA may not know how to reissue. They must then call their support desk. The wait can be just as long as for passengers.

I showed up over 1 1/2 early for flight out of OAK. Missed flight due to taking so long to get through by TA.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Have a JFK/SEA flight confirmed and reissued for about 5 months from now. Flight went from D1 to FC.

Requested a new routing of JFK/LAX/SEA in D1. Agent says I have to re-clear upgrade, even though ticket was reissued in OX. Also says I'm not eligible for downgrade compensation since I was booked in main-cabin and used an upgrade to get there, and that "whether it's D1 or FC, its still just and upgrade so you weren't downgraded".

I'm so tired of this constant bull*hit
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Have a JFK/SEA flight confirmed and reissued for about 5 months from now. Flight went from D1 to FC.

Requested a new routing of JFK/LAX/SEA in D1. Agent says I have to re-clear upgrade, even though ticket was reissued in OX. Also says I'm not eligible for downgrade compensation since I was booked in main-cabin and used an upgrade to get there, and that "whether it's D1 or FC, its still just and upgrade so you weren't downgraded".

I'm so tired of this constant bull*hit
Yeah HUCA is used more and more.. only hope, DL is actually starting to train all these new hires, starting August (been told by multiple DL employees). Even they are tired of having to argue with new hires at their support line.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:35 am
21A

The problem is the TA may not know how to reissue. They must then call their support desk. The wait can be just as long as for passengers.

I showed up over 1 1/2 early for flight out of OAK. Missed flight due to taking so long to get through by TA.
Ah I see, indeed makes sense. I mentioned in some prior posts that I’d had some experiences where the agent could hook the existing ticket and print the BP without reissuing (or calling for support). I wonder what makes this possible in some cases and not others, or if always possible under airport control but not all agents are trained in how to do it.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA Plat 2 MM, Marriott Ambassador & LTP, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Wow - reissues SUCK. So I booked a ton of complexity - and none of it worked without a few calls (well 3 to be exact). One example
o/w LGA-MSP for me (my RUC)
o/w MSP-LGA for my (my RUC)
r/t LGA-MSP (outbound my RUC, return her RUC).

This all done initially with one agent.
Turned out she picked the right class for 1 segment (OL) but picked (OK) for the rest. Did not reuse any. second call said its all ok, does not need reissue, don't worry. Then disconnected. Third call, agent moved all to OL, and then reissued them both - that third call took about 30 mins.
Minnyappleus likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Magnum75

Yes, I can confirm this happened to me on a flight back in June.

Had confirmed RUC applied months in advance. Never reticketed, so I called in about 3-4 days in advance to ask. Agent said everything was fine and didn't need to be reticketed, so rather than arguing, I just decided to wait until T-24 to have an issue with checking in, and then I would call again.

Surprisingly, I was able to check in and board the flight with no problems. All on the original ticket number. It was not reissued.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by businesstino
Yes, I can confirm this happened to me on a flight back in June.

Had confirmed RUC applied months in advance. Never reticketed, so I called in about 3-4 days in advance to ask. Agent said everything was fine and didn't need to be reticketed, so rather than arguing, I just decided to wait until T-24 to have an issue with checking in, and then I would call again.

Surprisingly, I was able to check in and board the flight with no problems. All on the original ticket number. It was not reissued.
In this situation, were you able to select a seat via online/app in F soon after the agent applied the RUC?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In this situation, were you able to select a seat via online/app in F soon after the agent applied the RUC?
Yes, the agent selected a seat for me (she asked my preference on the phone), but I was able to change it on the seat map immediately following the call as well.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Work trip out to SFO in a few weeks. Only flying Delta one way (need to take United direct to get home).

Both RDU - MSP - SFO and RDU - ATL - SFO were available for RUC confirmation at booking. Decided to go via ATL (even though MSP had the A321, ATL gets in 2 hours earlier and since I have to work the next day that won out -- I don't mind the 739 in F).

Got straight through to someone this AM via text and was transferred to ticketing desk who was able to process without any issue and correctly cleared it into OL and it appears to have reticketed correctly already (surprisingly so -- really ended up with a good agent this AM). No complaints this time around, now down to 2 RUCs left (plus 4 for the 2022 Medallion year that I haven't officially selected yet).

Will keep an eye on day of departure to see if an SDC to RDU - JFK - SFO is in the cards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.