Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Using SDC on RUC

Hi - thanks for all the really useful information. I was reading the SDC with RUC thread, but I don't know what "KM" refers to that we are supposed to direct agents to when trying to SDC into a F seat when using a ticket where a RUC has been applied and confirmed. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
For RUC's they don't reissue the ticket (be aware when you check-in, you'll likely have to call), but with GUC, they need to reissue the ticket so it is pulled/closed. I'm very frustrated by trying to figure out which ones I have left, if any too.
Spoke with an agent on the Diamond line yesterday who said that IT are working on an improvement to see which RUC's have pulled and be table to track them to a record locator. If true, this will be super helpful.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Roadbob
Hi - thanks for all the really useful information. I was reading the SDC with RUC thread, but I don't know what "KM" refers to that we are supposed to direct agents to when trying to SDC into a F seat when using a ticket where a RUC has been applied and confirmed. Thanks!
Knowledge Management
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Originally Posted by bgriff
I had this issue checking in yesterday for a flight today. No hold to get through on the Diamond line, but the agent I spoke to had a 1.5 hour hold to get through to someone on the internal ticketing line ... fortunately she handled it and called me back when done, but not the best use of Delta's resources all around.
I've had the same issue 3 times in the last month or so. Each time I called in and it took the agent quite a long time to get the ticket reissued. The last time she called me back about 2 hours later to confirm it was reissued. Each time they said it should happen automatically, but for some reason they're not getting done by check-in time. Would definitely not leave it to handle at the airport.
Minnyappleus likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Makes you wonder how one can be waitlisted for domestic FC with an RUC. How do they get suddenly processed at the gate without involving the Reissue Dept?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Makes you wonder how one can be waitlisted for domestic FC with an RUC. How do they get suddenly processed at the gate without involving the Reissue Dept?
I have no idea what the actual process is for gate-cleared RUCs, but GAs seem to have wide latitude to override seat assignments -- I have one particular memory where they started boarding and hadn't run upgrades yet, and I asked nicely as we were boarding since I was 1st for 1 seat and the GA said "oh, I forgot" and did some typing to assign me the F seat -- since I was at the scanner I got to see the process, and it popped up a dialog to the effect of "customer is only ticketed in coach, are you sure?" and they clicked yes. I didn't get the impression that was the usual upgrade process

tl;dr it's certainly plausible that once it goes to gate control that the process and systems are different.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Each time they said it should happen automatically, but for some reason they're not getting done by check-in time.
I have NEVER had an RUC or GUC process automatically. Always have to call to get it updated/fixed/reissued before being able to check in. I start to wonder if “it should happen automatically” is just fake CS jargon to pseudo-apologize for a system that seems a bit inefficient.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:51 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by RobertS975
It used to be somewhat common that upgrades processed at the gate would not trigger the certificate closure process, and you'd be able to re-use the cert, although this hasn't happened for me in years so I assume they've tightened up some part of that process. But yes, my impression has always been that agents at the airport have quite a bit of latitude.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could have sworn I read somewhere on FT the other day that RUCs don't need re-ticketing, only GUCs. Is that correct?
I just applied my very first RUCs yesterday, 2 pax, the outbound is waitlisted and the return is confirmed. Agent was very efficient (and only ~5m hold time). Doesn't look like the ticket has been reissued for the confirmed segment.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I could have sworn I read somewhere on FT the other day that RUCs don't need re-ticketing, only GUCs. Is that correct?
No, that's wrong. RUCs need to be reissued but it usually doesn't happen until the last week or so before departure (automatic reissue). You will have a detached ticket if this isn't fixed before check-in.
ijgordon and simonsuo like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:41 am
21A

Originally Posted by findark
No, that's wrong. RUCs need to be reissued but it usually doesn't happen until the last week or so before departure (automatic reissue). You will have a detached ticket if this isn't fixed before check-in.
Not always. I posted a couple of data points above of flying without ever reissuing the ticket (RUC closed after flight). In one case, the revalidation was done in a way that allowed self-service check-in to work; in the other, it wasn’t, but an airport agent was able to print the BP.

With that being said, I haven’t seen a lot of other data points on this, so we don’t have enough of a pattern to know if this is always possible or only under certain conditions. As with everything related to this highly manual process, it probably depends greatly on the exact actions taken by the agent that originally confirms/applies it.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Fair enough. I've had 8 RUCs reissued automatically before travel, and one that wasn't which blocked check-in. YMMV.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Please forgive the ignorant question. I've been Delta PM/DM for the better part of 15 years and to-date, have never had reason to use RUC's/GUC's, so my knowledge of them is pretty limited. Especially with the new rules.

I am looking at an award trip CVG-SJU next winter/spring and at the moment, the DL site is showing only GUC upgrade space available on the ATL-SJU leg. From my understanding, RUC's SHOULD work for Caribbean destinations, correct?

Is it simply too far in the future for RUC availability to be loaded, or should I just use GUC's for the trip since that availability is open now?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by dv70
Please forgive the ignorant question. I've been Delta PM/DM for the better part of 15 years and to-date, have never had reason to use RUC's/GUC's, so my knowledge of them is pretty limited. Especially with the new rules.

I am looking at an award trip CVG-SJU next winter/spring and at the moment, the DL site is showing only GUC upgrade space available on the ATL-SJU leg. From my understanding, RUC's SHOULD work for Caribbean destinations, correct?

Is it simply too far in the future for RUC availability to be loaded, or should I just use GUC's for the trip since that availability is open now?
That flight is eligible to be waitlisted using RUCs but Delta has not made RUC space confirmable at this point; it's possible it may become confirmable at a later date, but also possible Delta expects to sell all the F seats on that flight and a waitlist request would ultimately just give you higher priority on the airport upgrade list.

GUCs can now be used to confirm an upgrade to any Delta First Class seat (no capacity controls) so that message is always going to show unless the first class cabin is completely sold out. So, you could use GUCs to confirm the upgrade if you wanted, if you don't think you'll have any better use for those GUCs (which, considering you haven't used them for 15 years, perhaps is the case).
ijgordon and williwaw like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
That flight is eligible to be waitlisted using RUCs but Delta has not made RUC space confirmable at this point; it's possible it may become confirmable at a later date, but also possible Delta expects to sell all the F seats on that flight and a waitlist request would ultimately just give you higher priority on the airport upgrade list.

GUCs can now be used to confirm an upgrade to any Delta First Class seat (no capacity controls) so that message is always going to show unless the first class cabin is completely sold out. So, you could use GUCs to confirm the upgrade if you wanted, if you don't think you'll have any better use for those GUCs (which, considering you haven't used them for 15 years, perhaps is the case).
Thanks for the explanation, I really appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.