Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Called in this morning to use RUCs on a flight next week ATL-LIR and was surprised that that the outbound cleared. Not sure if this was new rules or not. The return is presently "GUC only" so waitlisted there.

As an aside, I am still a skeptic on the "ghost reservation" process for waitlisting. If you can check-in on-line it is fine. But in the 3 times I had to airport check-in with this, all 3 times the TA proudly announced after several minutes they fixed the issue by deleting the ghost reservation. And my waitlist was gone. Hopefully on my return "Fly Ready" actually works and I can check-in on-line.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:02 pm

Posted this in the other thread, which apparently this is now the main post 2/1 thread - looking for some advice

I am looking at GUC/RUC availability from LAN and have tried a bunch of random dates/places and have noticed no GUC/RUC availability.

For example Mar 28, LAN>DTW>LAX>KOA DL5439,DL2528, DL1077 has no availability, but then Mar 28 DTW>LAX>KOA Same flights has first available with a GUC.

Same thing with June 7th, LAN>DTW>ATL>JNB DL5071,DL520,DL200- but DTW>ATL>JNB on the same flights show First available DTW>ATL and PS and Delta One available for ATL>JNB

This holds true for about the last 20 searches I have made. I don't remember this being an issue before but I have only used RUCs twice in the past. Only thing I can think of is because the LAN>DTW has no first class so it doesn't show the RUC or GUC to be available

Any ideas on this? Would a phone agent be shown different availability?

Hoping it is just a bug with the implementation of the new rules... any thoughts would be appreciated...

2nd Question- Previously always held on to selecting the RUC till I had a trip in mind, now I would prefer to have them in my account (So I don't have to wait a day for the certificate to populate), does any one see a downside to selecting the RUC/GUC now? All '22 RUC/GUC will be valid until Jan 31 2023. Only downside I could see is if Jan 31st rolls around and I didn't use it, I could of selected something that would have some last minute value (20k miles etc)

Cheers!
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Had an RUC applied before 2/1 just clear on SFO - JFK (so D1) and then they went ahead and cleared it on JFK - RDU (had waited to apply that one until the big one cleared).

Cleared into OX for both legs

EDIT: Note website only showed "upgrade available with GUC" the whole time

Last edited by Duke787; Feb 3, 2022 at 7:27 pm
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Tried to apply an RUC to a simple itinerary last night showing “upgrade certificate available”, but was told no because OY=0 for the segment despite that indication. Sigh.

Is the new policy confirmed to be that both OY and Z are both eligible for RUC use? If so, is that documented anywhere?

If this is yet another example of needing to just keep beating my head against the HUCA wall, I can, but I also don’t want to adamantly push if the policy isn’t 100% confirmed to have changed.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by flyingabe
Posted this in the other thread, which apparently this is now the main post 2/1 thread - looking for some advice

I am looking at GUC/RUC availability from LAN and have tried a bunch of random dates/places and have noticed no GUC/RUC availability.

For example Mar 28, LAN>DTW>LAX>KOA DL5439,DL2528, DL1077 has no availability, but then Mar 28 DTW>LAX>KOA Same flights has first available with a GUC.

Same thing with June 7th, LAN>DTW>ATL>JNB DL5071,DL520,DL200- but DTW>ATL>JNB on the same flights show First available DTW>ATL and PS and Delta One available for ATL>JNB

This holds true for about the last 20 searches I have made. I don't remember this being an issue before but I have only used RUCs twice in the past. Only thing I can think of is because the LAN>DTW has no first class so it doesn't show the RUC or GUC to be available

Hoping it is just a bug with the implementation of the new rules... any thoughts would be appreciated...

2nd Question- Previously always held on to selecting the RUC till I had a trip in mind, now I would prefer to have them in my account (So I don't have to wait a day for the certificate to populate), does any one see a downside to selecting the RUC/GUC now? All '22 RUC/GUC will be valid until Jan 31 2023. Only downside I could see is if Jan 31st rolls around and I didn't use it, I could of selected something that would have some last minute value (20k miles etc)

Cheers!
If I was you I would call and ask to have the RUCs/GUCs applied to those flights and see if they work.
Also, common opinion is to select the RUCs/GUCs now, for the reasons you noted.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Has anyone seen where searches with single class CRJ200 flights don't show any availability? Looking ATW-PDX and Delta downgraded the MSP/DTW flights to all CRJ200 in March again and those single stop flights don't advise availability. Searching say the MSP-PDX only I can then see.

Prior to 2/1 it would usually, though not always, show availability. Nice to have the tool, frustrating with all the bugs. Bigger issue is from posters above; calling in when seeing availability per site then told no. Will keep dreaming we can just apply these online someday.

Also, did see it with certificate availability and not GUC on a flight with D as the fare bucket. March 15

Last edited by whooperatw; Feb 4, 2022 at 6:34 am Reason: Additional comments
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whooperatw
Has anyone seen where searches with single class CRJ200 flights don't show any availability? Looking ATW-PDX and Delta downgraded the MSP/DTW flights to all CRJ200 in March again and those single stop flights don't advise availability. Searching say the MSP-PDX only I can then see.

Prior to 2/1 it would usually, though not always, show availability. Nice to have the tool, frustrating with all the bugs. Bigger issue is from posters above; calling in when seeing availability per site then told no. Will keep dreaming we can just apply these online someday.

Also, did see it with certificate availability and not GUC on a flight with D as the fare bucket. March 15

While there is only D open on married segments, EF shows there is Z open on the individual flight segments. Suspect system is looking at individual segments instead of married inventory to determine RUC availability.
Utskicat likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 4, 2022 at 7:58 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by whooperatw

I posted basically the same thing above, but flying out of LAN. I would just search ATL (or first connection) onward for availability and call an agent. Doesn't look like any one confirmed this worked, but all of the flights I searched out of LAN that didn't offer first class to DTW showed no RUC or GUC availability. Looks like the system sees no first available on the CRJ200 (because it doesn't have any) and then fails to show the upgrades for flights after that
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
I'm confused about Wiki entries which lists Premium Select as eligible for RUC upgrades. Maybe I missed it, but I have seen nothing from DL about RUCs being valid for upgrades into Premium Select (website still only lists FC and Domestic D1).
Sorry I missed this post yesterday. I replied to your same question in the GUC thread, but I will duplicate the answer here since its more applicable in the RUC thread...

I assume you are talking about the bolded lines here in the booked fare class table:

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

I totally agree these don't make sense. But its listed in the table that apparently DL agents use. So maybe its there for some sort of future plans? Another inconsistency is in the other chart about what availability you need for what situation, there is an option for aircraft with MC+ and DPS but no FC or D1. That configuration doesn't exist either. @Zorak said in the old thread that has now been closed that he though he has seen FC recliner 757's flown to KEF sold as Y and PS in the past. But looking at the schedule now its sold as Y and FC. So I dunno...

Note: I added a note to these 2 lines in the WIKI questioning why these scenarios exist as these aircraft configs don't exist on RUC routes.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
Tried to apply an RUC to a simple itinerary last night showing “upgrade certificate available”, but was told no because OY=0 for the segment despite that indication. Sigh.

Is the new policy confirmed to be that both OY and Z are both eligible for RUC use? If so, is that documented anywhere?

If this is yet another example of needing to just keep beating my head against the HUCA wall, I can, but I also don’t want to adamantly push if the policy isn’t 100% confirmed to have changed.
No, Z and OY are used in different situations. Z is for FC and OY is for Domestic D1. I think the agents don't know the new rules yet, in some cases at all.

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:27 pm

In response to all of the comments about availability showing on DL.com and agents not granting, I'm pretty sure they 100% in the wrong because they just don't know the new rules. If we have a hard time getting our head around the new complexity and care so much to try to understand since they are OUR hard earned benefits, how much harder is it for these agents to understand. They have made it too complex. It has RM fingerprints all over it..."Let's make this reportable and tiered and not think about the ability for agents to reasonably follow a rocket science manual to reissue it"
BenA likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by Utskicat
In response to all of the comments about availability showing on DL.com and agents not granting, I'm pretty sure they 100% in the wrong because they just don't know the new rules. If we have a hard time getting our head around the new complexity and care so much to try to understand since they are OUR hard earned benefits, how much harder is it for these agents to understand. They have made it too complex. It has RM fingerprints all over it..."Let's make this reportable and tiered and not think about the ability for agents to reasonably follow a rocket science manual to reissue it"
HUCA already appears to be working. Had 2 different flights where availability was showing online yet the agent the other night told me there was no availability. Called in tonight and the agent was able to apply the RUCs and my flight was rebooked into OL class (Domestic F from MC using an RUC).
Utskicat likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum+1MM, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AntimonyER
For RUCs, it must say "First Available with Upgrade Certificate". If it says "First available with Global Upgrade Certificate", RUCs won't clear. If it says the first statement, try calling again. I believe some agents only look at the OY availability field (as that is the way it has been for years), and if it is 0, they say its not available, but now Z will work too.
I've had that come up using RUCs on DEN-JFK and the return: website said available; called in and agent actually said they were applied; checked back online a few days later and not confirmed but only waitlisted. Then called back a few days after that and a different agent, with much time on hold, reissued the ticket with both legs clearly in First. I think it may take a while for all the new hires, who in my experience have been very friendly on the phone, to learn all the nuances ... I imagine the process to actually apply RUCs for the agent on the phone is not just a simple mouse click or two but likely a more complex interface with their computer system.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
What countries are defined as Northern South America for RUC purposes?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyingabe

Cheers!
The downside would be if you change your mind (for instance, no trips where GUC/RUC usage would make sense and upgrade space is available) and later decide you want to pick a different choice benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.