Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just a recent experience using RUC. Labor day FCA-SLC-LAX, showing available both segments on the website, call the PM line, waited a few minutes, the agent sounds very experienced and gets it taken care and upgraded in a minute or two. Before I let her go, I also mentioned my OGG-LAX still waiting, and there was only 1 seat left showing GUC only when I checked a day or so earlier. However, she said the upgrade is in the process (it was around T4 at the moment), and she needed to go to the ticketing desk, and I got the last F seat left. Again, super-fast, maybe 2 minutes total.
When I checked my wallet, 1 RUC shows closed, not sure which of my reservation trigger the closed one because the last one I used didn't close until after my flight.
But hey, I got my upgrades, don't care when the RUC closed.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by simonsuo
Just a recent experience using RUC. Labor day FCA-SLC-LAX, showing available both segments on the website, call the PM line, waited a few minutes, the agent sounds very experienced and gets it taken care and upgraded in a minute or two. Before I let her go, I also mentioned my OGG-LAX still waiting, and there was only 1 seat left showing GUC only when I checked a day or so earlier. However, she said the upgrade is in the process (it was around T4 at the moment), and she needed to go to the ticketing desk, and I got the last F seat left. Again, super-fast, maybe 2 minutes total.
When I checked my wallet, 1 RUC shows closed, not sure which of my reservation trigger the closed one because the last one I used didn't close until after my flight.
But hey, I got my upgrades, don't care when the RUC closed.
Closed means the ticket has been reissued. Once that happens it closes the RUC.
simonsuo and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:07 am
21A

An experience I haven’t seen mentioned here — seems in some cases RUC application doesn’t require re-ticketing?

Called in a couple months ahead to apply on a flight that had confirmable OL space for self and companion. Reservation changed to OL, no reticketing. Decided to leave it and see if it comes up in the queue.

T-24 rolls around, still same ticket number. Expected an error, but to my surprise, no issues checking in on app or at kiosk. Boarded and took FC seats with original ticket number on BP. I also happened to notice that the SDC screen in the app allowed confirmed changes to other flights with FC availability, and standby for those without. Did not need to SDC so can’t confirm it would have worked.

Initially I thought this might have been a “bank error in my favor,” but the morning after the flight, the two RUCs were closed. Flight posted to SkyMiles with original ticket number, receipt shows FLWN, so no indication there was ever a reissue or another ticket number.

No idea what might be happening on the back-end here — revalidation? — and why it would be applicable in some situations while others still require reticketing.
businesstino likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I used an RUC last night to upgrade a flight this next Thursday. I booked the flight, then called the Diamond line to apply the certificate. I was not offered a call back but the wait for an agent was only about 3-4 minutes. In this time of relative shortage of competent airline employees, the inordinate amount of time it took this agent to process the upgrade was astonishing! I was on the phone, mostly on hold, for another 40 minutes !

" Let me see if the upgrades are available. Please hold." That took 4 minutes.

"They are available. Let me grab them for you." I had the computer open... as soon as I refreshed, the status showed FC, no seat selected.

"Please hold while I pull a certificate and process it". That was over 30 minutes! She came back a couple of times to reassure me that we were in the queue.

When she finally came back to say "all set", I asked if the delay was the re-issue desk, and she said it was. I knew that by getting it done now, it would save time on travel day and allow online checking. But as I have posted previously, the entire process of applying an RUC is ponderous. It is wasteful of our time and the reservation agent's time. Ideally, we should be able to manage these RUC upgrades by simply checking a box in the MANAGE UPGRADES section of the booking process.
Old May 1, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Can you waitlist with a RUC and request the complimentary upgrade to F/D1 on a domestic route?

Recently waitlisted RUCs SFO-JFK and JFK-SFO, each on a separate PNR. SFO-JFK appeared to waitlist correctly (upgrade status: upgrade waitlisted visible online) however on JFK-SFO the "upgrade waitlisted" was visible but the complimentary upgrade request box for D1 was unchecked. Messaged today and was told that you cannot waitlist a RUC and request for the complimentary upgrade which is counter to my experience for the past several years and this post.

Have the rules changed post 2/1/22 or did I just get a misinformed agent?
Old May 1, 2022, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by JAeX
Can you waitlist with a RUC and request the complimentary upgrade to F/D1 on a domestic route?

Recently waitlisted RUCs SFO-JFK and JFK-SFO, each on a separate PNR. SFO-JFK appeared to waitlist correctly (upgrade status: upgrade waitlisted visible online) however on JFK-SFO the "upgrade waitlisted" was visible but the complimentary upgrade request box for D1 was unchecked. Messaged today and was told that you cannot waitlist a RUC and request for the complimentary upgrade which is counter to my experience for the past several years and this post.

Have the rules changed post 2/1/22 or did I just get a misinformed agent?
You can do both now. It used to be the case that it was one or the other, but it's been several years since that changed.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You can do both now. It used to be the case that it was one or the other, but it's been several years since that changed.
I did not check the complimentary box. Checked in and was not able to get on the upgrade list. Called in and they were not able to get me on the list. If waitlisting using RUC, should you be on the upgrade list? Or is it a separate list?
Old May 1, 2022, 2:38 pm

I am always told the RUC upgrade list trumps the Medallion upgrade list regardless of the status of the Medallion.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
I am always told the RUC upgrade list trumps the Medallion upgrade list regardless of the status of the Medallion.
they pull from different inventory (before the gate, at least).
Old May 1, 2022, 3:07 pm

Is this a different list than the upgrade list in the app? This means it is not required to be on the upgrade list in the app?

UPDATE: Called in a second time and was able to get on the list.

Last edited by prodigy; May 1, 2022 at 11:36 pm
Old May 2, 2022, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Utskicat
No, Z and OY are used in different situations. Z is for FC and OY is for Domestic D1. I think the agents don't know the new rules yet, in some cases at all.

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)
What does DPS stand for?
Old May 2, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I applied an RUC using a chat agent and it was pretty straightforward. I double checked that the ticket had been sent over for reissue and the agent confirmed that he had (I got the email a few minutes later).

Going forward I'm going to submit all RUC requests via the chat. The last two RUCs I've used, the phone agent failed to reissue the ticket and I had to call to check-in.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What does DPS stand for?
DPS = PS, which is DL'S PE cabin. Technically PS is like calling D1 just 1.
RobertS975 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:05 pm

Can RUC be used for upgrades between domestic US to Hawaii?
Old May 6, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Can RUC be used for upgrades between domestic US to Hawaii?
yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.