Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seats "unavailable" but not "occupied"

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
In addition to 10B/C, 14D/E are traditionally blocked for gate assignment on the 739s. They also block off rows 36 and 37 in the back.
Do you know why they may block 2a/j and 3a on the A330?
Old May 20, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Keith2004
I flew HNL-ATL last night on the 333 and 2A was never filled by the GA again (D1 went out with 1 empty seat and 17 people still on the list). It didn’t look like it was reserved for any crew members as the caterers placed an amenity kit, bedding, and water bottle at the seat.
Old May 20, 2021, 5:12 pm

There is something a bit weird going on for sure. I've seen tickets which have been reissued for whatever reason (schedule change, voluntary change, booked using multiple eCredits, etc) get into a state where DL won't offer even paid upgrades, even though the same upgrades are available on a separate ticket for the exact same flight, same fare class, etc.

I've also noticed that DL blocks many seats in the back of the plane when the seatmap is viewed from a No- or Low-status account, but the entire plane is available to choose from as a PM or higher.

These are all main cabin revenue tickets. Very strange - it's basically the opposite of AS' saver seats being only in the very back.
cmd320 and dmarge18 like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by kabanaman
I'm seeing this as well, they are blocking 3 seats in F for an upcoming flight on Saturday, but these same 3 seats are showing as available for purchase when doing a search on this flight. And there is no option to purchase upgrade to these seats either.

Flight is already within the upgrade window for DM/PM's, i'm assuming no one will clear for a complimentary upgrade ahead of time.

Is Delta blocking these seats in hopes of a revenue ticket purchase before flight time? Pre-pandemic they would usually block out 2 F seats from early upgrades, looks like it's 3 now :/.
Update on my previous post - i am now within the 72 hour comp upgrade window for my upcoming flight as a GM - before the 72 hour window Delta had blocked out 3 seats in F with X's over them per my previous post and no option to purchase upgrade.

Comp upgrade did not clear, and now that in the 72 hour window, Delta is now showing these 3 F seats as open (white on the seat map instead of an X) and they are now allowing me to purchase an upgrade to F..

Funny they won't clear the upgrade but will offer me an option to purchase it - i feel that since there are 3 seats in F available the upgrade should have cleared.

This is why i've started booking alot of tickets directly in F if F is seems like its filling up on booking and the price difference is reasonable. Can't really rely on comp upgrades much anymore unless plane is empty, and anything can happen at the gate so i don't rely on gate upgrades much either.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Keith2004
Not sure if it's still the case, but 2A was a common air marshall seat. Perhaps they didn't want to have to boot someone from their seat if they allowed them to sit there.
Old May 21, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Not sure if it's still the case, but 2A was a common air marshall seat. Perhaps they didn't want to have to boot someone from their seat if they allowed them to sit there.
Air Marshals no longer get F and have to sit in Y.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-ma...economy-seats/
Keith2004, cmd320 and dmarge18 like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:38 pm

My theory is that the blocked seats are a contingency plan in case Delta decides to do equipment swaps and allocate some of the widebodies between domestic hubs towards international routes that may open up through out the summer. Imagine it'd have a ripple effect on many routes so there's likely a desire not to allow too much overbooking.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:00 pm

So for BE tickets, before covid, once check in starts, I used to be able to change seats at any time before boarding. But the past couple of times I travelled on Delta, at check-in I was assigned a seat and there were no seats available to choose from. I checked multiple times between check in and boarding. Is it due to seats blocking or BE can no longer change tickets after check in?
Old May 23, 2021, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gbdbld
So for BE tickets, before covid, once check in starts, I used to be able to change seats at any time before boarding. But the past couple of times I travelled on Delta, at check-in I was assigned a seat and there were no seats available to choose from. I checked multiple times between check in and boarding. Is it due to seats blocking or BE can no longer change tickets after check in?
The official rule for BE AFAIK is that BE passengers cannot select or change seats.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The official rule for BE AFAIK is that BE passengers cannot select or change seats.
My experience was once it’s T-24 you can select all remaining seats. That’s why I asked if anything changed now. But never mind answered my own question. I have a flight in 8 hours and just refreshed seat map again and saw a single available seat. Changed to that successfully. So you can still select/change it after check in but seems like they block many seats now.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that with more families traveling for leisure now and using BE fares, DL might feel that it avoids hassles at the airport, stress for GAs, and potential delays if they were to block more seats to accommodate families traveling together in BE. Just blocking the last two rows of coach isn't realistic, especially on large aircraft or leisure routes.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that with more families traveling for leisure now and using BE fares, DL might feel that it avoids hassles at the airport, stress for GAs, and potential delays if they were to block more seats to accommodate families traveling together in BE. Just blocking the last two rows of coach isn't realistic, especially on large aircraft or leisure routes.
Yeah I think that’s the most likely case. Because just a few minutes before check in started, I checked the seat map as pretending to buy a new ticket and still tons available. Then at T-24 they well all unavailable.
Old May 24, 2021, 6:42 am

Some information here about 'post April' seat blocking - https://news.delta.com/delta-expands...s-all-aircraft
Looks more like a way to control overbooking by taking some seats out of inventory.

For example instead of overbooking for ~160 seats on a 737, they will only allow overbooking for ~130 seats and some/all of those blocked seats can be opened up if overall sold tickets on that flight are in 130-160 range.
Seat blocks are not lifted if sold tickets are less then 160 and as blocked they are not available for upgrades.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeet
Some information here about 'post April' seat blocking - https://news.delta.com/delta-expands...s-all-aircraft
Looks more like a way to control overbooking by taking some seats out of inventory.

For example instead of overbooking for ~160 seats on a 737, they will only allow overbooking for ~130 seats and some/all of those blocked seats can be opened up if overall sold tickets on that flight are in 130-160 range.
Seat blocks are not lifted if sold tickets are less then 160 and as blocked they are not available for upgrades.
That "news" is from 2020 when DL was limiting capacity due to Covid. The recent seat blocking doesn't look to have anything to do with that.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
That "news" is from 2020 when DL was limiting capacity due to Covid. The recent seat blocking doesn't look to have anything to do with that.
Oops! sorry about the wrong link.
But the information in post regarding 'soft blocks' still holds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.