Search

32" LCD Monitor as carry-on item

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
32" LCD Monitor as carry-on item

Hi,

I am flying on an international DL equipment flight and want to take a 32" monitor. The monitor itself is 27"x16"x2" (45" total). I know this isn't the standard 22x14x9 in dimensions but adds up to the same 45"

Is this possible on Delta? By the way, I am Platinum and flying Premium Select...
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
If you had a bag with those dimensions you might be fine but a monitor by itself will attract a lot of attention. No one here can definitively tell you what would happen.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by rkaggarwal
I am flying on an international DL equipment flight and want to take a 32" monitor. The monitor itself is 27"x16"x2" (45" total). I know this isn't the standard 22x14x9 in dimensions but adds up to the same 45"
A possible wrinkle is whether this can fit in TSA's x-ray machine.
Delta is more lenient than most airlines. I've seen a lot of weird stuff fly. Usually, if it makes it to the gate, it flies. It will probably fit in the overhead bin, but will probably have to occupy the entire bin by itself so that other people's luggage doesn't crack the screen. Might be an issue with the gate agent, but who knows?

OP, what route are we talking about?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:26 pm

Surely a monitor would need to be in some sort of case to protect the screen, right? I would imagine a monitor alone has a high chance of being damaged in an overhead bin just due to shifting during takeoff and landing or turbulence even if you have the entire bin to yourself.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is it still in its original box? Otherwise I give this a limited chance of success.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
large-size bubble wrap, securely taped in all directions … adds about an inch to each dimension
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Flying DTW to ICN
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: UA GS
I think it would be too bulky bringing it on board. Can you check it?

I've checked mine a few years ago. Put it in its own suitcase with pillows and it was fine. How much is it worth to you?

Last edited by ICN1K; Jan 25, 2022 at 4:03 am Reason: saw it was carry on
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
FWIW, I flew with a large projector in the original packaging. Carry on only and domestic. No issues. It was about the size of a standard carry on.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: DL,EK
When I moved back to the US from Prague, I checked my 27" display on DL. It was in the original box and I had it in a custom canvas bag that I had made to the right dimensions (the bag was about $80 as I recall). It made it home just fine. Without a box, I think you will destroy the screen.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:34 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I’ve flown with this exact size monitor, using its original box to protect it (which conveniently even included a handle). Nobody asked any questions, and it fit easily thru the TSA belt and in the overhead bin.

If you’ve thrown away your original box, might be worth dropping by a local electronics store and seeing if they have any that fit yours in the recycling. I would not just carry the monitor loose, it’ll likely get damaged.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:19 am

Given the low price of monitors nowadays, just buy one when you get there....
​​​​​​Less hassle and worry!
ICN1K and DenverBrian like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rkaggarwal
Flying DTW to ICN
Let me get this straight...you're taking electronics TO Asia?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Let me get this straight...you're taking electronics TO Asia?
So Korean Companies such as LG/Samsung has a strong monopoly in South Korea's electronic market. Due to local regulations and etc the prices for similar/same product are MUCH higher in South Korea.. I usually take tons of electronics to Korea (I fly DL/KE) from NYC area - I didn't have any issues on local/international part.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Anyone else love the idea of OP sitting in coach in a bulkhead and plugging in a 32" monitor and watching a movie much to the jealousy of everyone else with a seat back monitor.
tardyturtle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.