Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What Happened to my Free Inflight Messaging

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite and Lifetime Platinum

Over the last four months and 60 flights I have been unable to access the free inflight messaging. When I connect to the deltawifi page it only ever offers me the pay options. I see and talk to others on my same flights using the messaging option, and family/friends have shown me their phones with the free messaging choice while mine only offers pay tiers. Has anyone else experienced this, or can you offer a potential solution?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by charliechill
Over the last four months and 60 flights I have been unable to access the free inflight messaging. When I connect to the deltawifi page it only ever offers me the pay options. I see and talk to others on my same flights using the messaging option, and family/friends have shown me their phones with the free messaging choice while mine only offers pay tiers. Has anyone else experienced this, or can you offer a potential solution?
This is odd. I haven’t encountered any issues accessing Free Messaging while in the air.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Screenshots? Are these Gogo or Viasat equipped aircraft?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I haven't had issues with free messaging... I've had issues with getting consistent wifi/connection but thats a different issue all together
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
IME the messaging is there for Gogo but not Viasat.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:52 am

Viasat Problems

I've had difficulty with free messaging or any actual SMS messaging on Viasat. My phone will rarely switch over to "wifi calling" (provider = t-mobile) even if I pay the $5 for access. So I can get RCS (chat) messages (from friends with Android phones/providers that support RCS), but I cannot get standard SMS. When I land, I'll often get a bunch of SMS all at once.

Maybe they have messaging working for pure internet-based chat platforms like iMessage and RCS, but something seems to be broken with standard wifi calling which allows regular SMS.

I do not have the same issue on gogo (which also provided me browsing on my t-mobile plan).
CPMaverick and SuperG1955 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by dave456
I've had difficulty with free messaging or any actual SMS messaging on Viasat. My phone will rarely switch over to "wifi calling" (provider = t-mobile) even if I pay the $5 for access. So I can get RCS (chat) messages (from friends with Android phones/providers that support RCS), but I cannot get standard SMS. When I land, I'll often get a bunch of SMS all at once.

Maybe they have messaging working for pure internet-based chat platforms like iMessage and RCS, but something seems to be broken with standard wifi calling which allows regular SMS.

I do not have the same issue on gogo (which also provided me browsing on my t-mobile plan).
I do not think SMS was ever intended to work. The stated supported messaging platforms are iMessage, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've noticed that on gogo my facebook messenger doesn't work - I can receive messages but never can send.
Haven't had issues on viasat with free messaging.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
IME the messaging is there for Gogo but not Viasat.
I was on two Viasat-equipped flights yesterday and both had the free messaging option beneath with the $5 flight pass. Used the flight pass on my laptop and the free messaging on my phone!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by charliechill
Are you by chance logged into your Gogo account? I have had this issue when logged into my account, but either using another browser or logging out and clearing cookies fixes it.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I had no SMS on 2 Paid Viasat flights yesterday.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seems to be some issue with them filtering/blocking the ability to send SMS over wifi. Not sure why that is not working.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rylan
Seems to be some issue with them filtering/blocking the ability to send SMS over wifi. Not sure why that is not working.
sounds like deployment or rollout of a less-than-fully-tested technology “enhancement”
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I do not think SMS was ever intended to work. The stated supported messaging platforms are iMessage, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.
Well that is a step backwards from Gogo which fully supported SMS over wifi via carriers such as T-Mobile that support it. It worked on Gogo via Delta for years and was advertised by T-Mobile and also Delta.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by dave456; Jan 21, 2022 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
The one time I've used it recently it worked (Viasat equipped) but my GoGo subscription wouldn't work on that one flight where I used it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.