Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC Selection Timing/Choice Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Titanium National EE
GUC Selection Timing/Choice Benefits

As an offshoot to the official announcement that Delta was extending e-credits and certificates to expire at the end of 2023, I have an additional question. I requalified for Diamond via MQMs and MQDs (Not CZ) in 2021 for the 2022 Medallion year. The language on Delta's website says that the GUCs are valid for the Medallion year that they are earned which in this case should be January 2922 through January 2023. My question is if I choose the GUCs as my choice benefit will they be extended to the end of 2023 or only valid until the end of January 2023?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is only eCredits were extended to 12/31/2023. New and existing eCerts are not being extended beyond 1/31/2023.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Titanium National EE
xliioper You are correct. I had an eCredit at the top of my list that was extended and my brain filled in the dates of the eCerts to be 12/31/23. Apologies. Back to your regularly scheduled Wednesday. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Mod Note - Removing incorrect information that may cause confusion on GUC expiration

Last edited by ryandc99; Jan 19, 2022 at 11:00 am Reason: removed incorrect/confusing info.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Someone please correct me on this if incorrect, but:

Because all unredeemed upgrades certificates (GUCs & RUCs) have been extended to a January 31, 2023 expiration. And,

Any new upgrade certificate selected after Feb 1st, 2022 will expire at the end of that status year (i.e. Jan 31, 2023 for 2022 status), Then:

There is no longer any benefit to waiting to select Upgrade Certificates (regardless of status year), if ultimately that would be your choice. In the past, it often made sense to wait to select certificates to extend the expiration, but that is no longer possible. Thus the only possible benefit now to waiting to select upgrade certificates is: if you are unsure you would actually use them (because obviously if you can’t, you should pick something else).

Is that correct?

Last edited by kavok; Jan 19, 2022 at 8:15 am
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by kavok
Someone please correct me on this if incorrect, but:

Because all unredeemed upgrades certificates (GUCs & RUCs) have been extended to a January 31, 2023 expiration. And,

Any new upgrade certificate selected after Feb 1st, 2022 will expire at the end of that status year (i.e. Jan 31, 2023 for 2022 status), Then:

There is no longer any benefit to waiting to select Upgrade Certificates (regardless of status year), if ultimately that would be your choice. In the past, it often made sense to wait to select certificates to extend the expiration, but that is no longer possible. Thus the only possible benefit now to waiting to select upgrade certificates is: if you are unsure you would actually use them (because obviously if you can’t, you should pick something else).

Is that correct?
I'm under the same assumption. I am a diamond for 2022 (earned not CZ) and it's my undrestanding that regardless of when I chose the benefits the SWU and RU's will expire 1/31/23. I have all my SWU's since covid hit to burn and selected them for my 2021 choice gift and if they expire on 1/31/23 I'm going to just select other benefits and not reason to delay selecting the choice gifts like prior years.

I'm hoping Delta will extend the expiration to 12/31/23 like they are Ecredits but they don't seem to concerned about the people who were loyal to them during their toughest two years.
JBJ2435 and kavok like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by KP2006
GUC are valid one year from when they are issued - if you have Choice Benefits from 2021, you can request them now and they will expire one year from issue (not when you have to request your choice beenifts by)
No longer correct. See: Delta changes/devaluation to GUC Program -2022 (Only 1 Class of Service Upgrade)

DL site under "2022 Upgrade Certificate Policy Changes": https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

Originally Posted by kavok

Is that correct?
Yep.
kavok likes this.

Last edited by ryandc99; Jan 19, 2022 at 11:01 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:05 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yup select them now and book before Feb 1, I've burned off. my 12 GUCs in the past few months with some hopefully great upcoming trips....best redemption was LAX-JNB-LAX for 2 people on AF!
jamesteroh and DCAhome like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Yup select them now and book before Feb 1, I've burned off. my 12 GUCs in the past few months with some hopefully great upcoming trips....best redemption was LAX-JNB-LAX for 2 people on AF!
I assume the actual routing would be LAX>CDG>JNB>CDG>LAX?
DCNYSFLA and NOLAnwGOLD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.