Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:36 pm

Deceased Father and Skymiles Transfer

My father passed away a few years ago. He had some NWA miles which I saved by linking to a Delta account (around 9,000 miles). My mom would like to combine these miles with her account. Is this possible?

Will the miles be forfeit since it was originally under NWA?

What is the procedure and what documents are needed? Copy of death certificate okay or need original?

How long does it typically take to transfer the miles over in such a case?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
As long as the NW account was still active and the miles hadn't expired it should be possible.

Contact DL and be prepared to provide them with a copy of the death certificate. Once they have a copy of the certificate it should be a matter of days for the miles to show up.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:54 pm

On page 25 of Delta'a 2010 Membership Guide

Upon the death of a Member, the Administrator or Executor of the Member’s Estate may designate one or more other Members to receive a transfer of the mileage credit in the deceased Member’s account. Only whole number amounts of miles may be transferred. The required form and other instructions for requesting a transfer of mileage under these circumstances is available on www.delta.com/skymilesaffidavit
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz Gold
I remember when my father passed in '02 filling one of those forms out.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
I have a cousin who is the executor of her deceased boyfriend's estate, and she would like his Skymiles transferred to her SkyMiles account. He has no children, and his parents do not travel. She can provide the death certificate, and I assume she may have some kind of documentation where she is listed as the executor of his estate. He did not have a will. Think Delta will be okay with transferring his miles to her account? Is there a time limit for transferring miles from deceased Skymiles members? Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:07 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Change - SkyMiles transfer upon death policy program update

As of March 20, 2013, we have updated our policy with regard to transfer of miles upon the death of a member. Please see the SkyMiles Member Guide section regarding Restrictions on Transfer for more information.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
As of March 20, 2013, we have updated our policy with regard to transfer of miles upon the death of a member. Please see the SkyMiles Member Guide section regarding Restrictions on Transfer for more information.
Were people asking to transfer a fraction of a mile?

It is nice that DL may be willing to transfer miles from one account into several different accounts.

Is there any reinstatement fee for the miles DL claims expire upon the death of the member with an account?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:32 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Hey, just noticed the guide has not been updated online. I will let you know when it is available.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
This is the update that would officially inform:

Delta will not allow transfer of miles upon death (Guessing, as DL posted that as a policy few weeks ago in a public statement on a newspaper article) My response plan is to live forever
*Sarcasm Warning*
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Wow, I really hope they don't prevent miles to be transferred in case of death, think about how many miles we are sitting in and if I were to die tomorrow I would like to see my family get and use these miles as they were earned and paid for and NEVER expire. Make sure if you know you are going to die, to transfer your miles beforehand or make sure family has your password first.

Delta, this costs you nothing don't understand why this is necessary. Those miles could be used by family members for travel to my funeral, etc,
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Mileage Transfer Policy Update

So what will happen to the miles when someone dies, they just vaporize?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Delta giveth and Delta taketh away.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Delta giveth and Delta taketh away.
One more chance to screw the customer.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:28 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
DwayneSkyMiles, since the guide hasn't been updated online would you mind posting the text of the update here?

Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Were people asking to transfer a fraction of a mile?
Maybe they were getting requests to split miles evenly into two or more other accounts, and the total amount didn't divide evenly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.