Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Why not just keep the account open and use the miles? They won't know he passed away and if you put the award tickets in your name how would they be the wiser? Yes you couldn't earn miles in his name or use his elite status, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't spend the miles.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:39 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by lov2fly
If I remember correctly NW World Perks are NOT transferable upon death.

Check closely in the T & Cs on the NW web page. My Father in law passed away two years ago and we were not able to do anything with almost 200K miles.

Unless this has changed, you may want to wait until the merger then transfer the miles.

Good luck

L2F
If you have all his information, try to get the password reset if you don't know it or just book the awards from the account if you do.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by yngdiego
Why not just keep the account open and use the miles? They won't know he passed away and if you put the award tickets in your name how would they be the wiser? Yes you couldn't earn miles in his name or use his elite status, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't spend the miles.
There aren't enough for an award. My Mom has 82K DL miles which is why I'd like these NW miles to be merged into hers. I hate to see them go to waste. NW seems to be the only airline that doesn't allow miles to be inherited. Maybe I can get my Dad's DL account reopened or start a new one in his name. I have all of the information needed.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
If I remember correctly, years & years ago DL had a similar restriction on transferring miles to heirs. Someone sued over it and the courts declared that the miles were a tangible asset that by law had to be transerred to the heirs.

In my FIL's case, they sent me an affidavit to sign which reads in part:

I am the duly authorized Executor or Administrator of the Estate (the "Estate") of the deceased member of the Skymiles program listed below (the “Decedent”): Member Name: __________________________________ SkyMiles Number: ______________________________ 2. I have attached a true and correct copy of the death certificate for the Decedent and documents sufficient to reflect my appointment as Executor or Administrator of the Estate. 3. I hereby designate the SkyMiles Member(s) listed below to receive the mileage in the Decedent’s SkyMiles account in the amounts as set forth below: Name: ____________________________________ Delta SkyMiles account number: ____________________________________ Number of SkyMiles*: ___________________________________ Name: ____________________________________ Delta SkyMiles account number: ____________________________________ Number of SkyMiles*: ____________________________________ Name: ____________________________________ Delta SkyMiles account number: ____________________________________ Number of SkyMiles*: ____________________________________ [

So, only the executor can authorize the transfer and he/she can put them into whichever account they want as far as Delta is concerned.

It went on to say that you had to attach a copy of the death ctf and will or other instrument naming you as the executor or administrator.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Smile

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Consider spending the miles. Take Cash and Add Miles! Look under the rewards section of the NWA website. 20,000 miles + $89 can get someone a domestic ticket. Use your huskey voice. Dad can still buy you a ticket to go visit Mom. or .... well you get the idea...
I think this, in concept, is your best shot. And it could turn out to be your only shot. And, as also noted here, it's not all bad.

Now, since it's very likely that the stipulations cited in other comments are still current, the better part of wisdom may be to augment the account, and then burn it -- without committing a costly faux pas with WorldPerks. If you try to force the situation, you're going to draw some very bad attention to it (e.g., NW summarily closes the account, ironically, because they probably wouldn't make you prove that).

Study the WorldPerks webpages. There are several ways to get miles assigned to the account without your father having to do anything. (I think of, particularly, linking your or several persons' credit cards to it for dining.) With bonus offers coming around often, it shouldn't be too hard to earn the difference needed for a free trip.

Be sure you do something frequently enough to keep the account alive until you're there, and then use it up ---- on yer ma. Mission accomplished.

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 20, 2008 at 11:12 am
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
OK, on the other hand, way, way back when Delta picked up a big chunk of Pan Am, they created my - ahem - second Delta account (pre-"Skymiles") out of my Pan Am account. I didn't do a thing to make it happen. Again, just make sure to do what's necessary to keep it alive, in whichever guise.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Red face the dead still spend

Marylou:

That's the form I filled out and sent to DL to get my father's miles into my mother's account. I am the executor of both of them.

I guess I could make an anonymous call to NW and see if they do the same thing. If not, maybe I can sign up my deceased father for a preapproved credit card (he still gets the offers even though he's dead) and bulk up the miles that way. Use the miles, then cancel the credit card. if I need a male voice to talk to someone my husband can make the calls for me.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:26 pm

If Northwest finds out the person is deceased they immediately cancel the account. That is what happend to my sister a few years ago when her husband died and she called about transferring the miles, so whatever you do, do not call Northwest, either use them, add to them and redeem them.
Cindi
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: NWA Silver Elite, Starwood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, National Exec Elite
FF miles after death

I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything. What happens with skymiles after the account holder dies?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:00 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
I am not sure where this has been discussed on FT but it has been. I do know that people have used deceased relatives FF miles without notifying the airlines if they knew the pin number.

As for transferring a deceased person's FF miles into another account, some airlines charge an administrative fee and , I believe, some don't. You need a copy of the death certificate and some document that states a person is authorized transfer the miles legally. Some people use the estate's executer to do this and they spelled it out on paper prior to dying.

Hopefully, someone will find the FT thread for you.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:20 pm

That is why its important not to save up for years withour using them...
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Transfer upon Death of Member
Upon the death of a Member, the Administrator or Executor of the Member’s Estate may designate one or more other Members to receive a transfer of the mileage credit in the deceased Member’s account. Only whole number amounts of miles may be transferred. The required form and other instructions for requesting a transfer of mileage under these circumstances is available on delta.com/skymilesaffidavit.
Quote from Page 26 of .PDF
http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...emGuide_US.pdf
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL MM
No fees?

I issued tickets out of my Mom's account for me and my family in May. She passed away in June and I forgot that the tickets were issued out of her account. I ended not canceling the trip and having the miles put back, but I forgot they were from her account and not mine! So, not only did I have to pay $100 to put the miles back, they went to her account.

If I have the executor of the will fill out the affidavit it looks like I can have the miles transferred to my account.

Thanks for asking the question.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Broog useless comment, not only because it means nothing for the thread, but every serios FT member will tell you that "He who dies with the most miles wins!"
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Only whole number amounts of miles may be transferred.
You mean my wife will not get that last half mile? !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.