Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:34 am

Hmm...this is more than a year old but seems relevant...

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/11/25...iles.html?_r=0

lets just say that AA/USAirways is looking better and better....
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Centurion
Unfortunately Delta has a way to use a computer to see if someone is dead without even looking for an obituary or death notice.
Not for all SkyMiles members.

I routinely get authorization and access from family and friends to use their "loyalty" program accounts for their or their family's benefit as I think it best .... and there is no assertion that their approval is rescinded upon their death.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Burj
Considering the amount of ill will such a move generates...is it really worth it for Delta to make this change?
Sure. I think the evidence is pretty strong now that DL doesn't care about the ill will generated on FT (or in pretty much any forum, except YouTube and Twitter, and only then when the mass media picks up on it).

Consider DL participation in these forums vs their corporate partner SPG. DL reps generally "hit and run" post, usually with nothing more than a link to a policy (not even the text or change itself!). SPG reps, OTOH, actively engage in threads (within reason), and even proactively outreach to posters.

DL is using the failed playbook of "controlled communication, always on message", the proponents of which for some reason never seem to catch on to the fact that the recipients of such messages can see right through them.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
When a PR person posts an announcement of a change without even alluding to what the change is, you know it's going to be spectacularly awful.

Big thumbs down to this move. Not much else to say here, other than to express my shock at the change. Definitely goes against the "we've always got your back" philosophy expressed in the intro to the safety video.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
I heard that several FlyerTalkers have faked their own deaths to avoid transfer fees. These people ruin death for the rest of us.
Chill to this tune L7 - Pretend We're Dead
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
It's so funny.

Delta has repeatedly done this:

-rarely participate on FT overall
-post about a change that is sure to cause strong feelings
-then post about how the policy has not been published or enacted fully or won't happen for a while.
-answer 0-2 questions that are posted or thank FT for the members passion.
-disappear from the 'conversation' and reap the free research that is the FT rants, questions, tirades etc

Basically Delta trolls FT for research.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:40 am

In the meantime...., the award calendar is still broken.

Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Award calendar is basically irrelevant at this point since we know its not going getting touched as far as miles redemption is concerned.
I'd rather have some of the basic functionality and UI of the website fixed first, such as random segments that are SWU waitlisted not showing up in itineraries.

Anyway, this is both a poor and hostile decision to expire miles when a family member dies.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Is Delta really this desperate to clean up some mileage liability off of their books?

Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Best way around this is ensure your spouse or significant other or family member or the executor of estate has your Skymiles information and the ability to login to your account. I doubt Delta knows when you die unless you die on one of their planes so if you wish for your miles to be used to fly others to your funeral when you pass away, then this can be done very easily by allowing someone else to login to your account and make the reservations from your account or transfer miles to other accounts. Where there's a will (no pun intended), there's a way.
Exactly my thought as well.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger

The guide appears to have been updated; d

Quote:

Miles are not the property of any Member.

-
The "new" unfriendly policy might make sense in some instances. However, if a member actually buys miles, rather than earns miles from flying or purchases, how can Delta legally claim that the purchased miles do not belong to the member? The member paid Delta for the miles.

I believe this could be a real problem for Delta if Delta refused to release at least the purchased miles.
-
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
And what about miles earned through Amex CC spend?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by rylan

And what about miles earned through Amex CC spend?
-
Not the same thing as actual purchases of Delta miles directly from Delta.
-
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
In the meantime...., the award calendar is still broken.
Chevy Chase: Our top story tonight: Generallissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
However, if a member actually buys miles, rather than earns miles from flying or purchases, how can Delta legally claim that the purchased miles do not belong to the member? The member paid Delta for the miles.
Maybe they'll claim the member only "leases" the miles, and the lease expires upon death...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.