Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Comfort+ Passenger 'jokes' being Covid Positive - Would you notify FA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort+ Passenger 'jokes' being Covid Positive - Would you notify FA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Yep we are all masked up. But why would you fly if you are covid positive?
My neighbor's relatives knowingly flew over Christmas with Covid. They were vaxxed, but were determined to fly to see relatives in another state.
Yes--Idiots are still flying.

When one prints a boarding pass, doesn't the website ask you "have you been sick? Fever?Cough?" Then stay home! This person was obvioiusly sick. What a jerk.
gretchendz and photojojo like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
For 20 months now, if one of us sneezes the other says "covid!" at each other. In the privacy of our own home though.
In our house, it's, "Uh-oh, you got the 'Rona!"
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by RRROOO
When one prints a boarding pass, doesn't the website ask you "have you been sick? Fever?Cough?" Then stay home! This person was obvioiusly sick. What a jerk.
id never be able to fly during allergy season if this were the standard.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
id never be able to fly during allergy season if this were the standard.
Clearly this is only a Covid issue, no one is talking about allergies :facepalm:.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:41 pm

I postponed all travel till the last week of February pending that all is back to what it was pre Omicron.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by jcmalcolm
You need to settle down. If you're so sensitive about what others do, wear, or say, on an airplane just stay home.
The person coughing may also have TB also, or nothing. TB is at epidemic proportions in some places around the world. Some of those folks are likely on your flights. And, there is no effective vaccine.
If someone is overheard making a direct threat to the safety of the aircraft, yes you should report immediately it. Having or not having covid isn't anywhere near that category.
An airplane above 10,000 feet is a pretty safe place.
Senseless paranoia over something that won't harm you is plain silly.
Agree with a lot of what you said but the BCG vaccine for TB is fairly effective in preventing severe disease. Most of the areas left with severe TB outbreaks are the ones with religious/ideological opposition to vaccines.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: LH, DL
Might be a policy/proceedure to deal with this...

Originally Posted by Gig103
... photographed ... texting "we're coming home a day early because we tested positive". From the plane...
Because it is never just about me (who travels assumming all are COVID+) I would likely show a FA the photograph, after giving the passanger the first chance to come clean.
My friend, a captain for a German passanger airline, related how the situation of a passenger receiving a positive test result during a flight was managed. It was well done.

There might be empty seats or a part of the airplane with better ventilation so passengers can be moved.
Mask wearing by the passengers with COVID, those around & FA would likely be better.

As far as for a person being sarcastic after a fit of coughing, I would not inform the FA. But if sitting next to him, without drama/emotion just nonchalantly mention how uncomfortable the statement made me feel.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Clearly this is only a Covid issue, no one is talking about allergies :facepalm:.
How would you know? I'm stuffed up, runny nose and have a persistent cough from chest congestion.

I board your flight - is it COVID or is it allergies?

I go to check in and HAVE these symptoms but know it's allergies not COVID - do I answer yes and not fly, or no and fly?

Don't be naive - folks everywhere are making these decisions, and "click OK to fly" is the default, regardless of the checkin instructions.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Agree with a lot of what you said but the BCG vaccine for TB is fairly effective in preventing severe disease. Most of the areas left with severe TB outbreaks are the ones with religious/ideological opposition to vaccines.
Not true. I live in South Africa, where nearly 400,000 cases of active TB were identified in 2019. Not caused by opposition, caused by lack of any working TB vaccine. 80 percent of the population has latent TB. Doctors in the US have not recommended any sort of vaccine for long-term prevention of TB (I asked). It doesn't work. I've also worked for the USG for years in West Africa and TB vaccine was never one of those many provided by US docs.
cur, ProjectRebooter and PDog like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Ah, lets see. They tell us that Vaccines work and they tell masks work and they tell us boosters work. So What's the problem?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:58 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by mridley2
I would assume everyone on the plane is covid+. Mask up.
Masks keep others safe from you. And masks only work when everyone is doing it and there is tons of ventilation. Like planes.

I would advise op not to be a snitch. I had a sinus infection for 3 days and everyone thought it was rona. Not everything is rona. I also have allergies and I would feel disrespected and tbh amused if people reacted this way in the cabin. It the 2022 version of people re-seating themselves because they're next to a middle easterner in middle eastern garb doing middle eastern prayers. Remember all that idiocy 20 years ago?

Last edited by cur; Jan 7, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The problem is that this is a domestic US flight where you're not required to be boosted or vaccinated. TBH vaccine and boosters need to be mandatory for domestic US flights. It will happen this year.
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Ah, lets see. They tell us that Vaccines work and they tell masks work and they tell us boosters work. So What's the problem?
CO FF and ProjectRebooter like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
The problem is that this is a domestic US flight where you're not required to be boosted or vaccinated. TBH vaccine and boosters need to be mandatory for domestic US flights. It will happen this year.
It won't, and it shouldn't. My neighbor has a blood disorder and his hematologist told him not to get the vaccine until more studies are done on his clotting condition. My BIL has been infected and recovered and now has T-Cells able to develop antibodies as needed, so an artificial antibody boost is irrelevant to his safety or that of others.

There has never been a requirement to prove up any vaccine status ever to fly domestically - varicella, measles, viral meningitis, HPV, DTAP, etc. It's always been a self-measured risk (getting in a metal tube with several hundred other folks).

Anyone who wants to wear a mask can wear one, two or three in any variety from cloth to N100. Anyone who wants a vaccine and booster can get one. There's zero need tor any enforced requirements - it's all personal choice and safety now.

Last edited by thatmikereed; Jan 7, 2022 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:39 pm

I always assume everyone on board has it; I wear a tightly fitting mask, point the air nozzle at my face, and make sure to limit my non-mask exposure.

Earlier this week the guy in front of me in the check in line stated that his wife and daughter were back at the hotel because they had just tested positive and asked if there was any issue with him flying, they told him nope and handed him a ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wouldn't say anything. Let it go.

The guy is a tool no doubt about that though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.