Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Flyers, how do you make up for SkyTeam's Weaknesses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Flyers, how do you make up for SkyTeam's Weaknesses?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcstudent
....For Australia, with the loss of Virgin, there's no question that there's no reason to fly DL vs. Qantas/AirNZ......
Virgin Australia VA was never in Skyteam, but was(is) a DL ff partner. VA is going to be a UA freq flyer partner (but not in Star Alliance).
There are Skyteam airlines that fly into AU/NZ. including DL LAX-SYD.
In AU no domestic Star or Skyteam airlines.
In NZ no domestic OW or Skyteam airlines

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 6, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
I've taken the advice of some long time travelers here, and de-coupled myself from being limited by a "loyalty" program. I think experiencing other airlines (outside of Skyteam) really allows you to judge what you are getting from Delta. You won't know until you have experienced it. I use to think Delta's old A330 business class going to Europe was the best product ever, until my expectations were ruined by Singapore FC. Now, I compare everything to Singapore FC.

I've ended up paying and choosing the airline that offers the best hard/soft product for the schedule that best suits myself. I would choose international carriers over domestic US majority of the time when flying business/FC, going to Asia/Europe. For example, I would personally choose Air France or Turkish to Europe, over Delta anyday. For Asia, I've had great experiences on Korean, but will back track to fly Singapore (I haven't flown them since COVID). I wasn't too impressed by Cathay. I haven't done JAL, but they have great reviews.

Best of luck to your flying experiences!
You simply cannot compare Asian carriers to European carriers. It's a nonsense comparison. It'd be like saying "I flew in Etihad's apartment so if my experience on other carriers isn't as good as that, then I'm unhappy." They literally have 4 routes - at least at that time, so it's not like you can build that into an itinerary. (I'm one of the strange ones who went to UAE just to fly in that plane specifically &#128521.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I don't care for the Asian style of service, which I would describe as fawning and overly deferential, tending to focus on passengers who look like wealthy male businessmen. They can seem too young to deal with situations firmly/assertively when needed. Some FAs giggle at times that are unprofessional or inappropriate.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just about no matter where you go, *Alliance is the strongest and Oneworld next. Those alliances have better airlines and better lounges than what you can access with DL and Skyteam. The main drawback for *Alliance is United is the domestic partner in the US. Oneworld has two choices - AA and AS. Except for route network AS is better than DL. I switched from DL to AA six years ago and haven't regretted it. I've maintained DM status with Delta ever since because of a ton of rollover MQMs and the value of GUCs. Airlines like JAL, Cathay, Qantas and Qatar have great business class and PE and great business class and first class lounges not to mention using Oneworld miles for international first class awards.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by salsa
Just about no matter where you go, *Alliance is the strongest and Oneworld next. Those alliances have better airlines and better lounges than what you can access with DL and Skyteam. The main drawback for *Alliance is United is the domestic partner in the US. Oneworld has two choices - AA and AS. Except for route network AS is better than DL. I switched from DL to AA six years ago and haven't regretted it. I've maintained DM status with Delta ever since because of a ton of rollover MQMs and the value of GUCs. Airlines like JAL, Cathay, Qantas and Qatar have great business class and PE and great business class and first class lounges not to mention using Oneworld miles for international first class awards.
*A for Australia?

I would also disagree with your statement about lounges. In the USA, DL SCs are much better that UA/AA/AS lounges. For international travel, it can depend on whether you have access to special premium lounges. I'll take an AF/KLM lounge over the standard business class LH or BA lounges. [I'm not going to go through a long list of less major alliance members.]

Also, often the best lounge is one that is *open* and will admit you.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
*A for Australia?

I would also disagree with your statement about lounges. In the USA, DL SCs are much better that UA/AA/AS lounges. For international travel, it can depend on whether you have access to special premium lounges. I'll take an AF/KLM lounge over the standard business class LH or BA lounges. [I'm not going to go through a long list of less major alliance members.]

Also, often the best lounge is one that is *open* and will admit you.
The major lounge benefit of OW internationally (and maybe *A too but it's been a while) is that you can get access to the best lounges by virtue of EXP status - or at least you used to be able to several years ago. I've been pretty unimpressed with the business AF lounge in CDG and KLM lounge in AMS in terms of food and drink offerings pre-covid. Though I do like the lounge area in the back of the KLM lounge, but it doesn't compare to Qantas at LAX (and I imagine SYD, but didn't get a chance to experience that lounge when I was there) or Cathay at HKG.

Domestically, I agree, UA and AA aren't close to DL. The hot dog carts! The beyond burgers at LAX! Meanwhile, UA, so I've heard, was offering essentially what the FAs bring around in those baskets on the plane.
salsa likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
My biggest issue and concern was in South America where I would fly LATAM which was OW at the time. Now that Delta has partnered with them I am good. I don't go to Australia for work, and the rest of Asia DL still does a decent job, not as good when it was NorthWest, but decent. I may have an extra connection, IE SIN, but overall it is good enough.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
The major lounge benefit of OW internationally (and maybe *A too but it's been a while) is that you can get access to the best lounges by virtue of EXP status - or at least you used to be able to several years ago. I've been pretty unimpressed with the business AF lounge in CDG and KLM lounge in AMS in terms of food and drink offerings pre-covid. Though I do like the lounge area in the back of the KLM lounge, but it doesn't compare to Qantas at LAX (and I imagine SYD, but didn't get a chance to experience that lounge when I was there) or Cathay at HKG.

Domestically, I agree, UA and AA aren't close to DL. The hot dog carts! The beyond burgers at LAX! Meanwhile, UA, so I've heard, was offering essentially what the FAs bring around in those baskets on the plane.
It depends if you're comparing First Class lounges with Business. OW F lounges are great, but they're F not J lounges. Also OW seems to be going away from giving F lounge access. QR (Al whatever?), AA(Flagship Diningĺ, BA (concord room) all don't grant access to their F lounges unless flying their own metal in F.

Have you been to New KLM lounge? Sounds like you're talking about old one.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by salsa
How have you managed to maintain DL DM status after switching to AA 6 years ago unless you live outside USA or spend $250k on credit card??
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It depends if you're comparing First Class lounges with Business. OW F lounges are great, but they're F not J lounges. Also OW seems to be going away from giving F lounge access. QR (Al whatever?), AA(Flagship Diningĺ, BA (concord room) all don't grant access to their F lounges unless flying their own metal in F.

Have you been to New KLM lounge? Sounds like you're talking about old one.
Yeah, it's their first lounges, that's my point, Delta DMs don't get that, only business lounges. I'm not comparing skyteam lounges to OW lounges - comparing what lounges elites can get into. I remember the BA first lounge not being available, but others are (were). But if that's all going away anyway, then I agree that my comparison is irrelevant for decisions going forward.

I don't think I've been to the new one, didn't know there was one. I think the last time I was in AMS was maybe 3-4 years ago.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
On the bright side, Kenyan and SAA just announced they’re joining forces. Not sure if that would add SAA to ST though.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by airmotive
On the bright side, Kenyan and SAA just announced they’re joining forces. Not sure if that would add SAA to ST though.
Watch out for Kenyan coded SAA operated (codeshare) flights--they won't earn anything with DL unless SAA joins SkyTeam.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Please explain why you might qualify for 360, just curious
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
*A for Australia?
UA: SFO-SYD, LAX-SYD, IAH-SYD, SFO-MEL
NZ: LAX-AKL-AU, SFO-AKL-AU, ORD-AKL-AU
VA: Domestic connections that UA can link from the AU hubs

DL: LAX-SYD

The IAH flight by itself is a major draw to people on the east coast who don’t want to trek to LAX/SFO.

So yes, *Alliance to Australia

Last edited by Beetles; Jan 7, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Beetles
I was hesitant to start crediting my Delta flights to Flying Blue (AF/KLM), but I soon discovered that its a lot easier redeeming for partner awards. If you’re doing a decent amount of international in J then Platinum status won’t be hard to reach under the XP qualification system. Qantas is an earning/burning partner with Flying Blue as well, as is Japan Air Lines. Malaysia Airlines also works with Flying Blue. So three One World airlines in addition to the Skyteam partners.

https://www.flyingblue.us/en/earn-sp...s/presentation

https://www.flyingblue.us/en/programme/xp
This seems like an ingenious solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.