Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One - LHR - JFK underwhelming!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Delta One - LHR - JFK underwhelming!

Apologies if this sounds like a rant! I usually fly United Polaris business transatlantic(Europe/ India) and trans-pacific (Asia), I recently flew Delta One (business class) from London to New York and found the experience a little underwhelming - esp. when I compare to similar experiences in United

- No pre-departure beverage (limited to a water bottle already in the seat)
- No Amenity kit - I specifically requested the FA, and they claimed that they did't have any. I requested at least for an eye-mask, but again didn't have any
- Underwhelming quantity of food - all in one tray (same as United, post-Covid)
- What bothered me the most was the FA's were indifferent. There was one really good FA, but after the meal service he went on his break, and the remaining two in the front galley were really indifferent and with a don't care attitude. I am sure this is not the average experience of most, but I got stuck with a bad group of FAs. Is there a way to send feedback to the DL management on the FAs serving the Delta One cabin?

I wanted to find out if the above experience is similar to most of you, in which case, I have reset my expectations when I have to fly DL. Thanks and Safe Travels!
Carfield and TastyPlaneEats like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
You shouldn’t be surprised , that is the overwhelming consensus what it’s like to fly DL now.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM
We flew DL One LHR - JFK the last week of December and noticed a few of your problems...

We were offered a pre-departure beverage. We were given Premium Select Amenity kits. My daughter and I had the middle two and intended to put down the divider but ours was broken and wouldn't stay down. The friends in front of us also tried to put theirs down and it was also broken. The flight crew didn't seem to care and just said sorry. I took out my duct tape and taped it down! I thought the meal service was fine and the quality was better than expected but do prefer when they would do dessert separately.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Fly Virgin on that route.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:44 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by sharktums
We flew DL One LHR - JFK the last week of December and noticed a few of your problems...

We were offered a pre-departure beverage. We were given Premium Select Amenity kits. My daughter and I had the middle two and intended to put down the divider but ours was broken and wouldn't stay down. The friends in front of us also tried to put theirs down and it was also broken. The flight crew didn't seem to care and just said sorry. I took out my duct tape and taped it down! I thought the meal service was fine and the quality was better than expected but do prefer when they would do dessert separately.
The real question here is why were you carrying on duct tape.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:49 pm

Makes me bumming I purchased Delta one for our Hawaii honeymoon next month... First time flying anything but economy

Last edited by h0und10; Jan 5, 2022 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by cur
The real question is why don't you carry duct tape?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by cur
Could be for standard domestic F class for the guy sitting next to you who won't shut up
hikouki, dw, smartytravel and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cur
Random guess: because he's American. (And as such may also carry a ready supply of ketchup.)

(Disclaimer: I'm one too.)
Monoboy and gretchendz like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cur
In case the flight attendants run out -- from restraining dangerous passengers.
hikouki, imnotalawyer and FabCW like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by h0und10
Makes me bumming I purchased Delta one for our Hawaii honeymoon next month... First time flying anything but economy
You will love it. A lot of people here are jaded. 😋
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

If this is your first time flying anything but economy, you will love flying Delta One (especially if you have lie flat seats). I find that those who regularly fly business quickly get spoiled and forget how much better it is than Economy. I have flown business only on a few airlines and even the ones that had the least when it came to service were still amazing compared to what I am accustomed to.
FabCW, roberto99, ExArkie and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by kbooks66
If this is your first time flying anything but economy, you will love flying Delta One (especially if you have lie flat seats). I find that those who regularly fly business quickly get spoiled and forget how much better it is than Economy. I have flown business only on a few airlines and even the ones that had the least when it came to service were still amazing compared to what I am accustomed to.
That is the good news! I have nothing else great to compare it too!
and yes it will be lie flats. A333 8.5 hours!
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL 3MM DM / UA 1K / AC 75K / F9 100K / Hilton Diamond / Marriott Platinum / Hertz Presidential
Has all the marks of the generally awful JFK IFS base. I've had similar experiences when flying JFK-LAX-JFK unless I get lucky and get an LAX base. JFK crews tell themselves they're "the best" when in reality they're the worst IFS base in the system.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
lol - we fly Delta One internationally 10 times a year, and I do another 5 to 10 transcons a year and 90% of flights are wonderful…. Every one out of ten flights is not and I tell my wife “we’re blessed we fly so much and most of our flights/hotels are great but imagine the poor ....... who saves his money for one flight a year and gets a crap flight or catastrophic hotel.”

All that is to say the odds are heavily in your favor!!
dtwlarry and imnotalawyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.