Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you show the "upgrade requested" status on your DL app to the three GAs? Did you try to call the DM line?

As usual, complain to DL.
Yes showed to the GA my app and they said sorry nothing they could do.

Tried to call DM line but took to long to get agent and flight was boarding so I said screw it.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold | Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Flew YVR-SEA today and was not on the UG list. Possibly because first flight was on Westjet but was DL 006 ticket stock.

Got to the gate and GA’s refused to UG me with three empty FC seats because “it’s an international flight”. I said DL’s policy was complimentary UG’s for elites for Canada to US but three agents refused and said the same thing. They said I had to put myself on the list and that they can’t even add me to the list due to it being an international flight. DL app showed me as Upgrade requested status but I can’t change the status as I’m already checked in. When I try to uncheck in and recheck in the app bumps me back to Westjets app.

What’s going on here and what did I do wrong? Short flight so I don’t really care, just annoying as it seems like the problem was easier to fix than the GA’s made it out to be.
H'm I've been upgraded a couple of time on this flight for free so they definitely do it.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Ont to Sea 9/13, got upgraded to comfort plus. Only 1 First class seat was available and i was 2nd with Gold. My friend on the same ticket also got upgraded with me with no status.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Got upgraded Sept 11 from ATL-YYZ (Silver), got the notification about 12 hours before flight.

Companion also got upgraded, but "it's a long story", because they were initially on my PNR, but because he didn't make it on the initial departure flight he ended up on a separate PNR and had to be manually added to the upgrade list by the phone agent (while we were on the layover in ATL) and finally appeared on the upgrade list after the Need Help? desk cancelled his check-in and then got the gate agent to re-check him in to make him appear on the upgrade list. His upgrade cleared less than an hour before departure.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: delta, bonvoy, hertz
I have purchased a KLM branded flight from CTA-AMS. First leg CTA-FCO is on ITA, second leg FCO-AMS is KLM. Purchased eco light and enter DL FF #, was able to choose econ+ seating and free bags on the KLM leg.. Partner is DM and I am PM. However I am not able to choose seats for ITA segment. Have tried ITA website and KLM. Verbiage says to choose seats in the app. I have downloaded the app but it requires me to get an FB account I'm afraid to open the app and have ticket apply to a new FB account rather than my DL account. Thoughts on how I choose seats? wait until counter check in, or call ITA?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Just purchased SFO-LAX today for a flight in 48 hours. I am PM. Both segments say "upgrade available with certificate." I thought this was the same inventory bucket as medallion upgrades so I should be upgraded right away, but am I wrong about this?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I thought this was the same inventory bucket as medallion upgrades so I should be upgraded right away, but am I wrong about this?
That is not correct. RUC requires Z (OL), but a medallion upgrade requires OU.

Check the seatmap; you should be able to select a seat in First for "FREE" if and only if OU is available.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by findark
That is not correct. RUC requires Z (OL), but a medallion upgrade requires OU.

Check the seatmap; you should be able to select a seat in First for "FREE" if and only if OU is available.
Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Not listed on Upgrade list, cancelled check-in & re-check In

When I conducted check-in at 24hour, my upgrade, albert rez showing requested, never made the list. Rez agent couldnt solve the problem either and suggested gate assistance at airport. At 2 hour before flight, I had a Skyclub agent see my rez and proceeded to cancel check-in and re-do check-in. This solved the problem. I was then showing on the upgrade list albeit unlikely upgrade. Finished #12😂.

Jiburi
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Just purchased SFO-LAX today for a flight in 48 hours. I am PM. Both segments say "upgrade available with certificate." I thought this was the same inventory bucket as medallion upgrades so I should be upgraded right away, but am I wrong about this?
IIRC, for domestic segments "upgrade available with certificate" could mean RUC/GUC or GUC only. Be careful.

BTW, are you seeing a decent FCM offer for the flight? That might be worth taking, or more generally look into upfaring to FC since FC seats seem to be available and your last minute purchase is likely to be an expensive coach fare.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:38 pm

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone has some experience with this situation, my partner and I are on the same PNR currently. I am PM and my partner has no status. We've been upgraded to Comfort+ already, but I need to travel back at a later date so the booking will be split.

Will my partner get downgraded when I'm no longer on the reservation?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
(I'm sure this has been answered but I can't find exactly where.)

DL Gold Medallion. Flying LAX-ATL-FCO on an AF purchased ticket, KL coded flight on DL metal in PE/PS. For the LAX-ATL portion I'm booked in C+ (W fare). I know I'm eligible for an upgrade but only on day of departure.

How does that work? Do I need to call DL to be put on the upgrade list or does it happen automatically? Do/can I get on the upgrade list only on the calendar day of departure or t minus 24 hours of the flight?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
(I'm sure this has been answered but I can't find exactly where.)

DL Gold Medallion. Flying LAX-ATL-FCO on an AF purchased ticket, KL coded flight on DL metal in PE/PS. For the LAX-ATL portion I'm booked in C+ (W fare). I know I'm eligible for an upgrade but only on day of departure.

How does that work? Do I need to call DL to be put on the upgrade list or does it happen automatically? Do/can I get on the upgrade list only on the calendar day of departure or t minus 24 hours of the flight?
Automatic. I believe upgrade list on check in for flight, at t-24.
Oakshadow likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
I was number one on the upgrade list ATL-PIT. I’m a platinum medallion. My husband was number two on the list, flying on my PNR and boarded right after me. I was kept in my original seat in Delta comfort; my husband was upgraded to first. Does anyone have any idea of what could’ve happened? I didn’t fight him and sat in the back and let him enjoy FC. Just curious since this has never happened to us before.

Last edited by Steve007NY; Nov 5, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Old Nov 5, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta
11/6 JFK-ATL. Silver medallion. Upgraded to C+ on check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.