Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jbandy10
I am looking to get Plat status this year. I fly into and out of ATL. Can I expect pretty regular comfort + upgrades?
Whether you actually get "upgrades" (I don't consider C+ to be a true upgrade) can depend on when you fly and your routes. For C+, it also depends on how early you purchase tickets.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold | Marriott Titanium
How comes I never see "Request Upgrade" on my AMS SEA (or vice versa) leg but I can see the "Request Upgrade" link for the smaller legs (SEA is a transfer for me)? I always fly Premiun Economy, miles credited to FlyingBlue (current Gold status). Flights Delta marketed
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by thehyrax
How comes I never see "Request Upgrade" on my AMS SEA (or vice versa) leg but I can see the "Request Upgrade" link for the smaller legs (SEA is a transfer for me)? I always fly Premiun Economy, miles credited to FlyingBlue (current Gold status). Flights Delta marketed
There are no comp upgrades on long haul international flights, even from premium economy. Only with upgrade certificates, miles, or cash.

You can see the list of "Everywhere Complimentary Upgrades are Available" on the Delta website:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:53 pm

Hi all,

newbie here after some help! I’ve just become Delta Silver. I’ve got a few Delta flights booked, but these were through Virgin Atlantic. I’ve got the flights in my Delta skymiles account but delta tell me I can’t request an upgrade at all, because they were booked through virgin.

Any workarounds?? Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jamesrhyd99
Hi all,

newbie here after some help! I’ve just become Delta Silver. I’ve got a few Delta flights booked, but these were through Virgin Atlantic. I’ve got the flights in my Delta skymiles account but delta tell me I can’t request an upgrade at all, because they were booked through virgin.

Any workarounds?? Thanks
Are these transatlantic flights? I don't think they are eligible for complimentary upgrades regardless of the carrier. I think earlier in this thread (if this is the thread I'm thinking of), someone posted a link to Delta's site where you can view what destinations are eligible.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jamesrhyd99
Hi all,

Any workarounds?? Thanks
What are the routes and are these flights award tickets (paid with Virgin Atlantic miles/points) or regular tickets paid with money but on VS ticket stock with VS flight numbers? Unless you have an award ticket, I suspect that at least one segment is TATL, which would at best be eligible for an "upgrade" to C+ at T-24. If it's an award ticket, I don't think you can get any upgrade.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I am either mis-remembering as i am out of practice or it has been "modified" post COVID, but when is the 5-day upgrade window happen for a flight that is leaving Friday afternoon (3pm) ?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
I am either mis-remembering as i am out of practice or it has been "modified" post COVID, but when is the 5-day upgrade window happen for a flight that is leaving Friday afternoon (3pm) ?
Sunday at 3pm.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:17 am

It's 120 hours.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Anyone know how upgrade list visit standby works? Am #1 with a GUC for D1 and it was given to a standby.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by cubeman
Anyone know how upgrade list visit standby works? Am #1 with a GUC for D1 and it was given to a standby.
Do you know anything about the standby? Could it have been a displaced (revenue) passenger who was ticketed in D1 and involuntarily rerouted, for example? Also, pilots deadheading to a flying assignment can be entitled to D1, but they shouldn't be confirmed on the flight rather than listed as standby.

Did you ask the GA when this happened?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you know anything about the standby? Could it have been a displaced (revenue) passenger who was ticketed in D1 and involuntarily rerouted, for example? Also, pilots deadheading to a flying assignment can be entitled to D1, but they shouldn't be confirmed on the flight rather than listed as standby.

Did you ask the GA when this happened?
thats my question when I arrive as I have a 45 min connection. If irrops / missed flight puts them on standby I’m fine, but I’ve seen standbys get upgrades on normal flights because the GA just processes rather then upgrade medallions then put standbys. flight says it has a D1 ticket for sale but zero available. Kinda wanna tempt fate and buy the 6k ticket just to see what happens.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:41 pm

Gate agent and red coat say no one was issued from standby and said no one was transferred due to IRROPS and said app is wrong saying someone got D1 off standby.
two Seats are for sale but apparently are pilot deadheads and they need to volunteer it. I asked what happened if I spent the money and she said it’d force them to only have one seat for pilots.

diamond rep confirmed the seats are for sale and asked if I could find a different rep in house. She has me on hold trying to help now.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Flew YVR-SEA today and was not on the UG list. Possibly because first flight was on Westjet but was DL 006 ticket stock.

Got to the gate and GA’s refused to UG me with three empty FC seats because “it’s an international flight”. I said DL’s policy was complimentary UG’s for elites for Canada to US but three agents refused and said the same thing. They said I had to put myself on the list and that they can’t even add me to the list due to it being an international flight. DL app showed me as Upgrade requested status but I can’t change the status as I’m already checked in. When I try to uncheck in and recheck in the app bumps me back to Westjets app.

What’s going on here and what did I do wrong? Short flight so I don’t really care, just annoying as it seems like the problem was easier to fix than the GA’s made it out to be.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Flew YVR-SEA today and was not on the UG list. Possibly because first flight was on Westjet but was DL 006 ticket stock.

Got to the gate and GA’s refused to UG me with three empty FC seats because “it’s an international flight”. I said DL’s policy was complimentary UG’s for elites for Canada to US but three agents refused and said the same thing. They said I had to put myself on the list and that they can’t even add me to the list due to it being an international flight. DL app showed me as Upgrade requested status but I can’t change the status as I’m already checked in. When I try to uncheck in and recheck in the app bumps me back to Westjets app.

What’s going on here and what did I do wrong? Short flight so I don’t really care, just annoying as it seems like the problem was easier to fix than the GA’s made it out to be.
Did you show the "upgrade requested" status on your DL app to the three GAs? Did you try to call the DM line?

As usual, complain to DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.