Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! (2022 - Forward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! (2022 - Forward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
If it weren't for my FlyerTalk travels, there are several native cuisines I might never have tried: kangaroo, horse, camel, emu, crocodile, ostrich. I did encounter a whale burger & reindeer before I found FT.

A horse is a horse,
Of course, of course,
Except when the horse
Is the mealtime course.
I've had ostrich and gator. I don't remember if I've had emu.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Elk, wild boar, pheasant, goose, rabbit?

How about pigeon?
I've enjoyed elk, wild boar, and pheasant. Also bison.
Forgot about elk, a few others from American hunting: deer, bear, squirrel, beaver. The big ones were bagged by others; I'm a lousy hunter.
Deer is delicious.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had horse in Paris a long time ago. For many years, it was always on the menu at the Harvard Faculty Club.

Emu, kangaroo, and elk/reindeer can be good or bad depending on whether they're well prepared. Overcooking or keeping it hot on a buffet table doesn't produce anything that's enjoyable to eat.
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If it weren't for my FlyerTalk travels, there are several native cuisines I might never have tried: kangaroo, horse, camel, emu, crocodile, ostrich. I did encounter a whale burger & reindeer before I found FT.

A horse is a horse,
Of course, of course,
Except when the horse
Is the mealtime course.
I'll probably either get a timeout or dumped on by everyone in the Lounge but here goes anyway.

Cat? Dog?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L

A horse is a horse,
Of course, of course,
Except when the horse
Is the mealtime course.
They have reindeer hot dog carts in Anchorage in the summer. Really tasty!

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I'll probably either get a timeout or dumped on by everyone in the Lounge but here goes anyway.

Cat? Dog?
CatDog?

-J.
SuperG1955, fsuj25 and mattp1987 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
…CatDog?

I had *totally* forgotten about that cartoon character

our friends who used to live in Breaux Bridge LA (the heart of Cajun Country, ~10 miles east of LFT) introduced us to alligator probably 35 years ago … since then I’ve had more than a few elk burgers (and thinking that there was also an ostrich burger at one point, even though we’ve never traveled to Australia), but that’s about the extent of it for me in terms of “exotic” game

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 3, 2022 at 10:38 pm
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I've had alligator in the Everglades twice. IIRC it tastes like chicken. Also had frog legs.

-J.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I haven’t tried too many exotic animals but did enjoy moose tartare in Norway.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by jrl767

I had *totally* forgotten about that cartoon character

our friends who used to live in Breaux Bridge LA (the heart of Cajun Country, ~10 miles east of LFT) introduced us to alligator probably 35 years ago … since then I’ve had more than a few elk burgers (and thinking that there was also an ostrich burger at one point, even though we’ve never traveled to Australia), but that’s about the extent of it for me in terms of “exotic” game
While nothing seems to go to waste in Cajun Country, I've never seen Nutria on a menu.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:20 am

My neighbor showed me a video she took when she was living in China. Her co-workers took her to a Snake restaurant and the waiter came out holding a 6' live snake, dangling from his hand, to get her approval to have it prepared fo their dinner.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I prefer not to meet my dinner while it's still alive. I never liked the restaurants where you picked your own live lobster (or live fish in Hong Kong for example). I don't even like to see the species in a park, zoo, or aquarium today that I'll be eating tonight, so I won't have fish for lunch of dinner after an aquarium visit. I find it hard to have duck for dinner if I've seen them in a park or on the hotel's property that day, even though I know logically that these aren't the same ducks and in fact they're are very unlikely to be related. Once in France I asked the hotel restaurant whether the duck in the dining room came from their own pond and of course was told no; in this case, it was reassuring that the ingredients weren't locally sourced.
volabam and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
The Peabody Hotel in Memphis has a French restaurant. They’re currently only open for tea, so I can’t tell if they typically serve duck on the dinner menu. That would be a tough one.
MSPeconomist and volabam like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mattp1987
The Peabody Hotel in Memphis has a French restaurant. They’re currently only open for tea, so I can’t tell if they typically serve duck on the dinner menu. That would be a tough one.
https://www.peabodymemphis.com/peabody-ducks

"Duck is not served anywhere at The Peabody and has not been seen on the hotel's menus since its 1981 reopening, quite possibly making Chez Philippe the only French restaurant in the world that does not offer duck."
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: DL, AS, 7H, KS
In Alaska, caribou and moose are regular staples at a neighborhood barbecue.

Some local high schools even teach children how to butcher and package the meat.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...t-interesting/
volabam likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
today started out cool and overcast and drizzly up at Camano Island, but the afternoon turned very pleasant

navi_jen and Zorak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.