Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these "impossible" meatballs?

Also, what are the chunks/cubes on the salad? Tofu?
looks like croutons to me. Some type of bread is, I am pretty sure, on every single plate in that picture.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Every airline I've ever flown around the globe includes a piece of bread with meal. I'm not sure why think this is an US thing.
Outside of the US, in my experience, I don't see nearly as much bread on top of bread on top of bread like we do in the US.

example in the meatballs posted. You would normally see a piece of bread (or basket) on the side and in place of the grilled bread on the same plate as the main meal would be replaced by......something that isn't bread.

Which granted, considering most American's love to eat the heck out of carbs, bread is a cheap and easy way to get there.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Have to say, I love so much bread - on many trips, bread is about the only thing I feel like eating - getting older & getting up at 3am to catch a flight messes with my stomach! Which is why I always pack a sandwich for my breakfast, in case nothing looks good (or, I'm not served food). So airlines can keep up that trend from my perspective :-)
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:36 am

I don't believe those are "impossible" meatballs. Also, I think that is Delta's lame attempt at a Panzanella Salad.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold

No, these are the marinara braised meatballs from Jon & Vinny's - the ones that Delta collaborates with ex-LAX.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
looks like croutons to me. Some type of bread is, I am pretty sure, on every single plate in that picture.

Outside of the US, in my experience, I don't see nearly as much bread on top of bread on top of bread like we do in the US.

example in the meatballs posted. You would normally see a piece of bread (or basket) on the side and in place of the grilled bread on the same plate as the main meal would be replaced by......something that isn't bread.

Which granted, considering most American's love to eat the heck out of carbs, bread is a cheap and easy way to get there.
Yet, at the same time, I've noticed that most foodie type restaurants no longer serve bread. The ones that do--such as those who have bread with fancy olive oil--often forget to bring it. Even at wine tastings, bread is getting scarce.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:30 am

Yet, at the same time, I've noticed that most foodie type restaurants no longer serve bread. The ones that do--such as those who have bread with fancy olive oil--often forget to bring it. Even at wine tastings, bread is getting scarce.
I have not notice that in my neck of the woods just yet and I am a huge bread eater. I have started to notice that some restaurants are starting to charge for bread and special butter or dips, but not out right not offering bread at all.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:44 am

If anything I've seen a shift to bread being optional, but getting back to the topic
at hand, it definitely seems like standard practice for nearly every decent airline, in most places in the world, to offer something from the bread basket regardless of what the main entree is.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:52 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life

Not much different than missing PDBs and boxed food.

They can save money by not serving ancillary food stuff or just charge for it as an extra charge
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I really wish at least some flights we'd get some more traditional options. Such as a salad with lettuce and cheese, tomatoes, and croutons instead of watermelon with feta and chickpeas for instance

don't know why the catering can't have more variety
flyerCO and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Bailorg
If anything I've seen a shift to bread being optional, but getting back to the topic
at hand, it definitely seems like standard practice for nearly every decent airline, in most places in the world, to offer something from the bread basket regardless of what the main entree is.
I flew in J on Austrian in May and I think they brought a large tray of rolls around three times.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver

Menus for ORD-SLC and SLC-HNL (D1) for 8/18/22.
I think I'm going with the Quiche and the short rib and (future) Mrs. PharmFlyer is going for the chia pudding and sous vide chicken
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:21 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any idea what to expect on LGA-DFW 6am flight?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:31 pm

I hadn't done the route since mid-June, but I recently saw that hot meals and PDB are finally back for BNA-LAX in F.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Had the chance to try Delta's domestic F catering for the first time ever 2 weeks ago, and I liked what I got. The FA went through the motions but at least had a smile on her face and was cheerful and caring when she faced the passengers. Route was MSP-DCA, outbound in first, return in economy.

Preordered the coconut chia pudding as described in pharmflyer 's post above. Nice and light. The other choices were a quiche (not the same as the post above) and a charcuterie plate. The star however was the croissant and preserves, which was the best croissant I had since returning from Paris in 2018. The dark chocolate cherry bar on the way back was very good. Wish it were larger but it exceeded my expectations.

chrisny2, sspontak and GoBob like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Goldeneyeuro
. The dark chocolate cherry bar on the way back was very good. Wish it were larger but it exceeded my expectations.

That dark chocolate cherry bar is the best snack in economy I've had. Period. They're organic, gluten-free, and actually very expensive. A 2 oz bar (double the size of what DL gives you) retails for $3 at Whole Foods.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.