Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread ó 2022 Edition

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread ó 2022 Edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 20, 22, 2:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: xliioper
Wiki Link
Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Delta confirmed in a press release that Hot Meals will return in March 2022

Exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
PHX*, IAD, PSC, EYW, AUA, AUS, OAK, ELP, ABQ, TUS, JAC
*Narrowbody flights only

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 22, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets View Post
For the routes that still have sad boxes, is it that hard to just plate the contents? I know itís the same contents but it feels more premium when youíre in First instead of getting a catered Jimmy Johnís lunch box. American plates their cold sandwiches and stuff thatís practically the same thing that Delta is serving in sad boxes but the presentation is what makes it at least a little better.
The packaging of the meal is not the issue. If you're on a sad box flight, you would kill for a Jimmy John sandwich. AA plates a cold sandwich, that is true....but DL isn't giving you a cold sandwich -- they are giving you a pathetic taste of a sandwich that you will finish in 2 bites.
Old Jul 4, 22, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
The packaging of the meal is not the issue. If you're on a sad box flight, you would kill for a Jimmy John sandwich. AA plates a cold sandwich, that is true....but DL isn't giving you a cold sandwich -- they are giving you a pathetic taste of a sandwich that you will finish in 2 bites.
or a box that is just a variety of chips, etc. OK, it had hummus, too.
Old Jul 4, 22, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by No1racer View Post
Hey kaneporta,

I flew this specific flight segment approximately 1.5 months ago. My flight was on an Endeavor CRJ-700 (which was a CRJ-900 some days of the week) that departed just after midday.

In short, it's snack basket based on the flight mileage. The flight attendant did come by a couple of times.

I hope this helps.

- no1racer
Thank you!
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:23 am

7/2 DFW-LAX Breakfast - Quiche with Sausage, happy to see meals brought back on this route! No PDB on this flight. Other options were Coconut Cereal and Fruit + Cheese plate I believe.

7/4 LAX-DFW Dinner - Marinara-braised meatballs, very tasty! PDB was offered, other dinner options were Chicken Parmesan and a vegan option.

I took pics but can't post them since my account is new.
Ordhater and Bailorg like this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver
Jul-4 SEA-SJC: snack basket and drink service...no PDB
This route used to have full meals pre-Covid but I guess it falls under the new meal guidelines being a 600 mile flight
Old Jul 5, 22, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
7/1 DL 892 ATL-PHX 1930-2028 A-321

No PDB

Options were: Short ribs, "the chicken", impossible meatballs or a vegetarian burrito. They were out of "the chicken" when they got to me.

The short ribs were pretty gross. Very fatty and chewy with tasteless rice. The blueberry cheesecake was great though

My daughter got the vegetarian burrito which wasn't bad. Great portion size too.
Points Scrounger and Bailorg like this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 3:13 pm

Programs: delta
DL311 July 2nd
SFO-JFK on a 76L, is it normal to have ZERO cabin service on a red eye like this? Even in delta one?
The app even asked me for a meal choice.
Old Jul 5, 22, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
As another follow up. I was able to preselect a special meal in FC via messages for tomorrow's flight. I cannot see the special request on the reservation and the agent said I will not be able to see it. I'll post the final update tomorrow.
Old Jul 5, 22, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by cjmdice View Post
7/2 DFW-LAX Breakfast - Quiche with Sausage, happy to see meals brought back on this route! No PDB on this flight. Other options were Coconut Cereal and Fruit + Cheese plate I believe.

7/4 LAX-DFW Dinner - Marinara-braised meatballs, very tasty! PDB was offered, other dinner options were Chicken Parmesan and a vegan option.

I took pics but can't post them since my account is new.
was it actual meat or impossible stuff? Also was it a salt bomb?
Old Jul 5, 22, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets View Post
For the routes that still have sad boxes, is it that hard to just plate the contents? I know itís the same contents but it feels more premium when youíre in First instead of getting a catered Jimmy Johnís lunch box. American plates their cold sandwiches and stuff thatís practically the same thing that Delta is serving in sad boxes but the presentation is what makes it at least a little better.
Probably could but it'd probably cost more. I'd rather they spend the money getting vendors to get their kitchens back online and properly staffed tbh.
Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
Being offered these options out of HND next week, anyone tried them?
ROASTED CHICKEN THIGH with miso demi-glace, glazed sweet onions, cauliflower mash and sauteed spinach
SPINACH AND RICOTTA LASAGNA* with pomodoro sauce *Vegetarian Selection
JAPANESE SELECTION Wagyu Beef with grated radish sauce, Japanese pumpkin, zucchini red bell pepper, steamed rice, and Japanese pickles
GREENLAND HALIBUT with oyster sauce, stir-fried mushrooms, pak choi, and steamed rice
GRILLED KUROBUTA PORK with miso glaze, broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers carrots and steamed rice
No idea what its like post-COVID but Delta use to have some really good Japanese meals before COVID hit.
I have also had a lasagna that was similar (if not the same) and it was pretty good too.

Pork chop sounds really good but i have a feeling the pork will be dead, cooked, brought back to life, killed and cooked 3 more times dry.
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
This has been the one thing about the sad boxes that really pisses me off. I am sympathetic to the staffing issues across the industry and I get that doesn't get fixed over night.
but from day one of the sad boxes they have been cheap sh%t food. I don't believe for half a second Delta could figure out how to make a quality sandwich and a quality salad to serve. If the Boars head kiosk at the airport can do it, Im pretty sure the airlines could do it.
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
7/1 DL 892 ATL-PHX 1930-2028 A-321

No PDB

Options were: Short ribs, "the chicken", impossible meatballs or a vegetarian burrito. They were out of "the chicken" when they got to me.

The short ribs were pretty gross. Very fatty and chewy with tasteless rice. The blueberry cheesecake was great though

My daughter got the vegetarian burrito which wasn't bad. Great portion size too.
Interesting. One of the few things Delta seems to get right every time for me is short ribs and meatballs. Sorry yours wasn't good.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN View Post
or a box that is just a variety of chips, etc. OK, it had hummus, too.
No, some of us just really object to the idea of getting a cardboard box rather than a plate and utensils. I'm not doing domestic F until that changes.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:31 pm

JFK-LAS Quinoa bowl was alright. There was another vegetarian option and a meat option, but was out by the time they got to me

Old Jul 5, 22, 10:04 pm

Shrimp rice bowl today, which was decent but not very filling. Oddest thing was the two other entree choices got a real salad, while I got watermelon with sesame seeds?

Old Jul 6, 22, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83 View Post
Shrimp rice bowl today, which was decent but not very filling. Oddest thing was the two other entree choices got a real salad, while I got watermelon with sesame seeds?

My guess is that they felt a salad didn't go with the Asian theme they were trying for... I would prefer the watermelon myself.
Old Jul 6, 22, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
What is that dessert? Something smothered in lemon sauce and ... coconut flakes?

Search this Thread