Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 22, 6:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyAO2
Wiki Link
Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. Some limited routes (seemingly hub-to-hub and certain high-profile routes also receiving plated meal service). This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled) receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

Delta confirmed in a press release that Hot Meals will return in March 2022

Not withstanding the official Delta press releases and what the itinerary shows for "meal", reviews have shown that the flights to or from the following airports continue to have sad boxes and no actual meals:
PHX*, IAD, DFW, EYW, AUA, AUS, OAK, ELP, ABQ, TUS
*Narrowbody flights only

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 4, 22, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
GAAAH the missing second "a" in the word "caramelized" is extremely grating

Yes, thank you, I can find my own way to the pathetic rants thread...
NotHamSarnie and findark like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
How are the sad boxes still happening? I guess Delta was just kidding when they said 900+ mile flights would have hot meals at meal times by the end of April? Yet transcons like IAD-SEA can't get a meal?
completely shameful… What’s worse than the fact that they are providing these boxes, is that they are lying about it on your itineraries. Not that it is a valid excuse, but if you’re saying that there is no real meal because either the destination or origination city isn’t “prepared“ for food, then DL knows what flight has no meal.

Stop lying on the itineraries saying “Dinner” when you have a hummus box coming
Old Jun 4, 22, 1:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, OZ Diamond Plus
Has anyone flown ex-DUB recently or have any thoughts on any of the options here — somehow none of the 5 sound particularly interesting

Old Jun 4, 22, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The lamb is really good. If not lamb the chicken or short ribs is next. I normally go chicken if not in mood for lamb. The short rib is great, but IME the serving can be small.
Old Jun 4, 22, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Are the soups served on DeltaOne flight vegetarian? They always sound vegetarian, but aren't marked with the vegetable logo so leads me to believe it is with a chicken stock...anyone know?
Old Jun 4, 22, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
completely shameful… What’s worse than the fact that they are providing these boxes, is that they are lying about it on your itineraries. Not that it is a valid excuse, but if you’re saying that there is no real meal because either the destination or origination city isn’t “prepared“ for food, then DL knows what flight has no meal.

Stop lying on the itineraries saying “Dinner” when you have a hummus box coming
6/3–PHX-MSP, lunch was the Sad Box choice….AGAIN. No PDB on either PHX-MSP main line or MSP-ATW Skywest. I knew to grab some food in the SC, figuring it would be the Sad Boxes again. Service was FEBO though.
doubleA and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
We should start making a list of outstations that have food or sad boxes.

Sad box - PHX, IAD, DFW, EYW, AUA
Food - SNA, MIA, DEN, MSY

Last edited by matchbox20_is; Jun 6, 22 at 12:53 pm
Old Jun 4, 22, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is View Post
We should start making a list of outstations that have food or sad boxes.

Sad box - PHX, IAD, DFW, EYW
Food - SNA, MIA, DEN
There's been a report of a hot meal out of PHX (on PHX-ATL) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34146383-post577.html
Could have been catering issues

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 4, 22 at 6:48 pm
Old Jun 4, 22, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
There's been a report of a hot meal out of PHX (on PHX-ATL) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34146383-post577.html
Could have been catering issues (I'm assuming the PHX-MSP flight wasn't a red-eye).
Seems like that pax was on a widebody if it makes any difference. I put PHX on the sad box list because of the report we got earlier today from hotshot265.
Old Jun 4, 22, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Seems like that pax was on a widebody if it makes any difference. I put PHX on the sad box list because of the report we got earlier today from hotshot265.
I don't thing a list of outstation will be helpful. DL usually double caters. Thus a PHX-MSP may have a sad box, but PHX-ATL a meal. PHX-MSP might not come in from MSP but rather DTW, etc....
Old Jun 4, 22, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I don't thing a list of outstation will be helpful. DL usually double caters. Thus a PHX-MSP may have a sad box, but PHX-ATL a meal. PHX-MSP might not come in from MSP but rather DTW, etc....
Well, they'd double cater something at DTW in that case, right? Either plated food or boxes.
Old Jun 4, 22, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I have had a hot meal once on PHX-ATL, it was a breakfast flight, I think on a 330 back in April. All of my MSP-PHX-MSP flights have been Sad Boxes. I have flown four segments on that route…3 of 4 have been boxes, one was outside meal time. I have not done a PHX-DTW run since plated meal service was suppose to “return”. I have flown AA and AS also in the past couple months and had plated meal service on all segments where meals were offered. Mind you AA is doing mostly cold meals on sub-1500 mile flights, but it is at least plated with silverware and real glasses…not bamboo and plastic cups.
matchbox20_is likes this.

Last edited by hotshot265; Jun 4, 22 at 10:51 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 5, 22, 12:41 am

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post
On the one hand, the few routes that seem to be getting actual first class catering seem to be getting decent food. But I’m a little puzzled that the meals tend to look exactly the same as D1 meals. Seems like a further downgrade of D1 (as well as FC if you think about it, because it means Delta might try and charge an even higher premium for WFBF… all without being CONSISTENT on what routes get actual meals).
exactly. While I love Delta, I tried AA JFK-SFO a couple of times this year. Flagship business meal is pretty good… appetizer.salad + entree + sundae + cookie… served in courses.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 22, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by truncated View Post
Has anyone flown ex-DUB recently or have any thoughts on any of the options here — somehow none of the 5 sound particularly interesting

That was the same menu on AMS-BOS a couple of weeks ago. Thought I'd preordered salmon, but didn't finalize that. The raviolone was pretty good imo.

The soup ended up being tomato, and was suspiciously similar in taste, consistency, etc. to the tomato sauce on the pasta. I guess that similarity is better than what you might get for tomato sauce on LH
Old Jun 5, 22, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
Pretty sure this is just a re-skin of the same ex-EU menu we've had all year. I had the ravioli on LHR-ATL and was quite disappointed: it was about the quality you'd get from the frozen meal section at your local grocer. Definitely no recognizable burrata nor lemon.

Search this Thread