Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Particularly sad box catered today by a poorly-resourced outstation called Hartsfield-Jackson. (ATL-YUL)
I think you have confused outstation with outhouse station.
boss315 and cmd320 like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
Thanks for the further insight. Now you have me wondering about your comment "that if they can't do proper catering on the out AND back, then no one is getting it." Am I understanding that to mean that STT doesn't have a proper catering kitchen? I ask because even pre-COVID DL, UA, AA all had (and still have) 5+ hour flights from STT (DL STT-MSP, AA STT-ORD, UA STT-IAH). Did those flights not have hot meals in F then? Or does STT have a kitchen but they can't staff it? Just genuinely curious.
Couldn't tell you as far as STT goes. Most airports have/had the ability to cater in some form or fashion pre-COVID. Could be that it was a restaurant that did the catering (the norm in a lot of small stations) that doesn't have the staff, isn't open, whatever. Or could be that STT had a catering company that closed and/or is understaff.

Its really hard to say.
Wow, I'm really surprised by AUA considering they have actual long international flights, one that comes to mind is KL's AUA-AMS flight, which I know is fully catered with hot meals. The fact DL uses the excuse AUA isn't able to cater is bs. Shame on DL!
several different reasons this could be.
Particularly sad box catered today by a poorly-resourced outstation called Hartsfield-Jackson. (ATL-YUL)

My neighbor had the same but hers was missing both dessert and utensils.
Wait Delta has a hub at YUL? When did that happen?
Old May 11, 2022, 6:46 am

Thanks for the further insight. Now you have me wondering about your comment "that if they can't do proper catering on the out AND back, then no one is getting it." Am I understanding that to mean that STT doesn't have a proper catering kitchen? I ask because even pre-COVID DL, UA, AA all had (and still have) 5+ hour flights from STT (DL STT-MSP, AA STT-ORD, UA STT-IAH). Did those flights not have hot meals in F then? Or does STT have a kitchen but they can't staff it? Just genuinely curious.
STT did have a proper catering kitchen prior to COVID-19, iirc it was called Goddard In-Flight Catering and it was a local In-Flight Catering chain that catered airlines in a number of Caribbean countries.

Whether Goddard survived COVID-19 or if DL considers STT a priority I have truly have no idea.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
My neighbor had the same but hers was missing both dessert and utensils.
So unacceptable.
If every box came with a voucher for 10,000 miles, MAYBE I'd cut them some slack... But as it stands, this is unacceptable at the current price point. The other argument is transparency. If the flight notes listed "Box Lunch," instead of "Lunch," and showed a picture of a boxed lunch instead of a plated meal with glassware, I'd also cut them some slack. Customers should be able to make informed purchasing decisions, anything less is fraudulent and deceitful marketing.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
So unacceptable.
If every box came with a voucher for 10,000 miles, MAYBE I'd cut them some slack... But as it stands, this is unacceptable at the current price point. The other argument is transparency. If the flight notes listed "Box Lunch," instead of "Lunch," and showed a picture of a boxed lunch instead of a plated meal with glassware, I'd also cut them some slack. Customers should be able to make informed purchasing decisions, anything less is fraudulent and deceitful marketing.
100%....if the excuse is "because the origin or the destination" isn't ready for meals, then they clearly could note on the flight details if you are getting LUNCH or BOX. The purposely are not giving you that information
kjwill likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Taking an early DTW-IAH flight in First soon. Any recent experiences on what to expect for breakfast?
Old May 12, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM/4.0 MM
BOS-MIA April 26 2022, 120PM departure, 737-900ER. FEBO observed. I was in row 4 and all 3 choices were available when I was asked: 2 hot dishes (pasta or pastrami sandwich, served with salad and dessert), or cold smoked-salmon salad served with fresh fruit and dessert. I chose the smoked-salmon salad.

I really enjoyed this meal. As you can see from the picture, it was kind of Japanese-esque with cold rice, pickled ginger, radish, vegetable spirals, spinach, tomato, and what seemed more like guacamole than wasabi. There was a small cup of soy sauce. The fruit was flavorful and the dessert excellent. No glassware on this flight.

BOS-MIA Lunch April 26 2022
sspontak, diburning, zeer0 and 1 others like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat

Flying LHR-BOS on 5/16 and got the select your meal email a few days ago.
Problem is whenever I tried to select something I got an error message.
Called this morning (8 am UK time) and went almost immediately to an agent who recognized me as a DM.
She managed to get the meal I wanted selected.
At least no hold time!

Last edited by mot29; May 12, 2022 at 6:23 am
Old May 12, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by simonsuo
Redeye OGG-LAX 5/1

Delicious teriyaki chicken. No other choice though other than a vegetarian dish. That cold rice with some peas and cucumber confused me.
That seriously needs some shoyu.
cmd320 and simonsuo like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
MCO-DTW 2 days ago. No PDB, FEBO not followed. Same three choices they've had for the last 2 months: Hot veggie plate (seriously?), Cold Chicken with paprika pineapple, and the horrid fake meat burger ( 500% more sodium than a real burger). I opted for a "glass" of wine only. It was served in an extremely flimsy plastic cup. Enough already, Eddie.
ceebee100, NotHamSarnie and cmd320 like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
Still sad box in paid first from ABQ to ATL tonight for flight that departed at 4:45… I thought that nightmare was over?!?

However we did have glass on board

Last edited by RhinoDL; May 13, 2022 at 6:24 am
Old May 12, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Early morning flight SJC to SEA, snack basket, because I really want a packet of chips for breakfast, awful stuff.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton
My this weeks flights on Delta were less then a good flight experience in F, compared to American Airlines. NO PDP, NO Hot Towels before lunch/dinner, mediocre food (had the Impossible Burger on my way down from DEN to ATL, the Short Rib from MCO to SLC) ATL-MCO flight attendant did not want to work and was Impossible, Flight Attendant DEN to ATL was more concerned about a show then service, Flight Attendant from MCO to SLC was snippy as can be, Flight Attendant SLC to DEN did her job but no smile. No name recognition, No Pillows or Blankets. Plus on all flights the seat were worn out to the max and one was sitting on wire.
American does so much better! I had to fly Delta cause of ReLo Package and I upgraded for like $1600 to the $630 they paid for Economy! NOT WORTH a cent!
boss315 likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I am flying ATL-SNA this Thursday. I haven't gotten a meal selection e-mail, so I'm guessing it will be a meal box.

Departure time around 10:00 a.m. maybe at least it will be banana bread.

David
As it turned out, we had meals. There were three choices, I took the Beyond burger and don't remember the other two choices.

The Beyond burger was pretty edible after I scraped off the cooked onions.

First time flying into SNA so that was also a bit of a treat!

David
hurnik likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
As it turned out, we had meals. There were three choices, I took the Beyond burger and don't remember the other two choices.

The Beyond burger was pretty edible after I scraped off the cooked onions.

First time flying into SNA so that was also a bit of a treat!

David
DL has not brought back pre-flight meal selection on FC routes yet (except possibly some of the JFK/BOS transcon FC routes), so you can't use that to tell if a route will have hot meal options. It's difficult to say whether you will get a hot meal options or cold meal boxes on a route other than by searching this thread by airport code for previous meal reports to determine their catering situation. For example, ABQ, ELP, and TUS currently form a Bermuda triangle which all look to all be getting cold meal boxes from earlier reports.

Last edited by xliioper; May 13, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.