Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 16, 22, 6:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: FlyAO2
Wiki Link
Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. Some limited routes (seemingly hub-to-hub and certain high-profile routes also receiving plated meal service). This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled) receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

Delta confirmed in a press release that Hot Meals will return in March 2022

Not withstanding the official Delta press releases and what the itinerary shows for "meal", reviews have shown that the flights to or from the following airports continue to have sad boxes and no actual meals:
PHX*, IAD, DFW, EYW, AUA, AUS, OAK, ELP, ABQ, TUS
*Narrowbody flights only


Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread




Print Wikipost

Old May 7, 22, 4:10 am
  #781  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 985
Originally Posted by LeisureOnlyMSP View Post
Anyone with recent D1 flights from CDG? What's on the menu?

They'll email you a menu a week ahead.
Goodoldflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 7:42 am
  #782  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 15,873
Current menus are also online:
https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/cdg-atl/
​​​​​​
Edit the URL for whatever city pair.
Zorak is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 9:25 am
  #783  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Posts: 452
Still Insultingly Bad

Flew Delta 1 r/t SFO-JFK-SFO. I thought that things would be better than the tragically vile boxes that were served last year--which combined uninspired cold food with self congratulatory messages about safety and touch points. In some ways the lunch served JFK-SFO was even worse than the awful boxes. It was fake meatballs. First, serving fake beef gets zero points. Memo to Delta: I don't buy an expensive ticket to indulge myself in virtue signaling. Fake beef on your plane won't save the planet and is completely inappropriate when there is no real beef being offered. To be honest, the canned food I give my two dogs is better than the Impossible slop. Then we get to the bad service. No nuts or other snacks offered with drinks. No menus. No wine list. The meal served all at once so that if one easts the pitifully small salad first, the dog food will get cold. Frankly the only thing that was half way decent on this round trip was the Sky Club in SFO. Oh and I forgot the self congratulatory messages on the so called amenity kit that did not even offer socks. What a disgrace all around.
bubbashow, Aloha1 and DCAhome like this.
sfoeuroflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 10:00 am
  #784  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Posts: 1,970
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
Flew Delta 1 r/t SFO-JFK-SFO. I thought that things would be better than the tragically vile boxes that were served last year--which combined uninspired cold food with self congratulatory messages about safety and touch points. In some ways the lunch served JFK-SFO was even worse than the awful boxes. It was fake meatballs. First, serving fake beef gets zero points. Memo to Delta: I don't buy an expensive ticket to indulge myself in virtue signaling. Fake beef on your plane won't save the planet and is completely inappropriate when there is no real beef being offered. To be honest, the canned food I give my two dogs is better than the Impossible slop. Then we get to the bad service. No nuts or other snacks offered with drinks. No menus. No wine list. The meal served all at once so that if one easts the pitifully small salad first, the dog food will get cold. Frankly the only thing that was half way decent on this round trip was the Sky Club in SFO. Oh and I forgot the self congratulatory messages on the so called amenity kit that did not even offer socks. What a disgrace all around.
A couple points:
-Certainly there was at least one actual meat option.
-The market has shown many people like plant-based meats. Even meat eaters.
DLASflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 10:01 am
  #785  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,382
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
Flew Delta 1 r/t SFO-JFK-SFO. I thought that things would be better than the tragically vile boxes that were served last year--which combined uninspired cold food with self congratulatory messages about safety and touch points. In some ways the lunch served JFK-SFO was even worse than the awful boxes. It was fake meatballs. First, serving fake beef gets zero points. Memo to Delta: I don't buy an expensive ticket to indulge myself in virtue signaling. Fake beef on your plane won't save the planet and is completely inappropriate when there is no real beef being offered. To be honest, the canned food I give my two dogs is better than the Impossible slop. Then we get to the bad service. No nuts or other snacks offered with drinks. No menus. No wine list. The meal served all at once so that if one easts the pitifully small salad first, the dog food will get cold. Frankly the only thing that was half way decent on this round trip was the Sky Club in SFO. Oh and I forgot the self congratulatory messages on the so called amenity kit that did not even offer socks. What a disgrace all around.
Good thing you can fly AS, AA, UA or B6 for the next trip!

As I don't know what brand of canned food you feed your dogs, I can't compare it to the DL "meat"balls, but I do find that dish tasty enough. And plenty of people avoid beef for reasons other than virtue signaling. That said, I wish DL would return to a multi-course service on the route. I found my last crew to be quite pleasant.

I also wonder why one is concerned about the dog food getting cold if it was too gross to eat in the first place. Also, I do recall that one is offered five, yes five, meal choices if ordering in advance. So while the current service isn't ideal, it is ok enough for the time being, and could be a lot worse.
hhdl, dtwlarry and Mhyduchak like this.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 10:14 am
  #786  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Good thing you can fly AS, AA, UA or B6 for the next trip!

As I don't know what brand of canned food you feed your dogs, I can't compare it to the DL "meat"balls, but I do find that dish tasty enough. And plenty of people avoid beef for reasons other than virtue signaling. That said, I wish DL would return to a multi-course service on the route. I found my last crew to be quite pleasant.

I also wonder why one is concerned about the dog food getting cold if it was too gross to eat in the first place. Also, I do recall that one is offered five, yes five, meal choices if ordering in advance. So while the current service isn't ideal, it is ok enough for the time being, and could be a lot worse.
I wish the gargantuan balls were more bite sized.
basecamp likes this.
shoodawg is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 11:01 am
  #787  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: Delta
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
Flew Delta 1 r/t SFO-JFK-SFO. I thought that things would be better than the tragically vile boxes that were served last year--which combined uninspired cold food with self congratulatory messages about safety and touch points. In some ways the lunch served JFK-SFO was even worse than the awful boxes. It was fake meatballs. First, serving fake beef gets zero points. Memo to Delta: I don't buy an expensive ticket to indulge myself in virtue signaling. Fake beef on your plane won't save the planet and is completely inappropriate when there is no real beef being offered. To be honest, the canned food I give my two dogs is better than the Impossible slop. Then we get to the bad service. No nuts or other snacks offered with drinks. No menus. No wine list. The meal served all at once so that if one easts the pitifully small salad first, the dog food will get cold. Frankly the only thing that was half way decent on this round trip was the Sky Club in SFO. Oh and I forgot the self congratulatory messages on the so called amenity kit that did not even offer socks. What a disgrace all around.
This is a curious reaction, since you obviously received the pre-order menu (you posted a question about it in this thread). Why would you order the vegetarian selection if it so offends your sensibilities?
CalebMCO is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 12:24 pm
  #788  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 11,140
I was under the impression DL has shifted back to the normal service with drink/amuse bouche followed by salad/appetizer then main dish then dessert. I keep seeing friends online sharing that this week they received it all slapped down on one tray like a domestic service. Why is this still going on when mask requirements have been dropped? Wasn't that the "reason"? or is it something else now? The menus are pointless, no details on anything other than the main dish (not everyone can pre-order with last-minute flights or flight changes) and many people like to know what they're eating for every plate. FAs are often clueless. Cutting menus and shifting to the (almost) generic card with QR code is really sad. AA has full menu and wine lists, which is still nice.
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 12:31 pm
  #789  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GEG (Spokane, WA)
Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Posts: 807
Since we all know the food situation sucks, when are Pre-departure drinks coming back?
gaugeguy is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 1:45 pm
  #790  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Posts: 1,970

Curried Chicken Salad on SLC-SAT. Other choices were mezze box or ham sandwich box.
DLASflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 2:29 pm
  #791  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,654
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post

Curried Chicken Salad on SLC-SAT. Other choices were mezze box or ham sandwich box.
Had the same meal on my flight this week. Tasted good, but disappointed in portion size and no hot meals from SEA.
cmd320 and DLASflyer like this.
The Situation is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 2:47 pm
  #792  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GSO
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 307
Several people have asked about rum -- as of last week, still no rum.

I'll also add to sandwich debate. At the beginning, I found the sandwiches generally edible. Several months in, though, they were more and more sloppily made and stored. The bread is frequently completely soaked, frozen, or in one case missing half. I now eat the salad option or the mezze plate... or decline. I actually think the mezze plate is fantastic. If it were on a plate, I would routinely order without complaint.

Also, add me to the list of those who have yet to see a hot meal back in F (except for an AA flight yesterday).
DLASflyer likes this.
Ascii is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 2:47 pm
  #793  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,382
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
Since we all know the food situation sucks, when are Pre-departure drinks coming back?
JFK/SFO had Sham Pain served in real glass as a PDB. Haven't taken a non-D1 domestic flight in ages, but at least for the first time in 2+ years, they're bringing around this. (They've got a month to get their act together before my next short haul flight!)
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 4:21 pm
  #794  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,263
Originally Posted by Ascii View Post
Several people have asked about rum -- as of last week, still no rum.
).
Maybe DL is having difficulty finding rum that is a big enough "cause". Lately, food and beverage selections seem more about the story and cause than actual taste and quality.
Dawgfan6291 and cmd320 like this.
bubbashow is offline  
Old May 7, 22, 4:22 pm
  #795  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Programs: DL-Diamond
Posts: 413

ATL-LAX FEBO observed

LAX-LIH FEBO observed, meatballs were really good
Keith2004 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread