Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
How early are people getting the email with the pre-select options coming for Delta One flights now?
I got my email seven days ahead of the flight.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
5/3. DL1606 ATL-TUS 1537 miles per DL app. Sad box options for lunch…pathetic​​​​​!

Old May 5, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
How are the boxes still happening?
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: DL PM
DAL 1627
5/4/22
JFK - FLL
737-800
N3732J

Offered FC services in order drinks, snacks, hot meal, coffee/tea, snacks. I had the pasta, misses had chicken.

Old May 5, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Exactly. At least AA is offering their cold meals plated, with actual silverware and glassware for drinks consistently. I could cut them some slack if this was a catering thing at an outstation, but coming out of the ALT hub, absolutely not. Admittedly I have not flown a lot on DL this year as most of my travel has been moved over to AA, but on the flights so far with meal service, it has been nothing but inconsistent. A few weeks ago I flew ATL-PHX, got a plated hot meal for breakfast, going the opposite direction PHX-ATL got a plated cold meal for lunch. PHX-MSP and back were Sad Boxes to MSP and nothing, not even a snack basket on the return trip through DTW. That flight was after meal time, but FA said that even snack baskets are not provided on after 9pm departures, which is not correct, but not worth fighting over.
NotHamSarnie, cmd320 and ohhleary like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Uhh. you should check out other sources across the internet. Plenty of people post on reddit and twitter about getting some pretty crappy sandwiches.
I am not sure what this means, I wasn't implying these people were being singled out because they post on FT.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
To the point that I was mostly buying food in the terminal or taking pre-packaged food from the SkyClubs (when it was a thing) and turning down the sad boxes.
this is a different complaint than what I was commenting on. there is a difference between "I don't like this offering and I would prefer the sandwich from the boars head kiosk in the concourse" or even "this is not what was advertised" and "this is disgusting and inedible." A big difference.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
This form is filled with people who hold companies responsible to the premium products they advertise.
my brother, even the "good" meals are basically applebees. this snobbery is hilarious.
DiverDave, CalebMCO, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demkr
How are the boxes still happening?
There was a post awhile back about potential issues with catering/kitchens at TUS, ABQ and ELP. They are mentioned on the Delta Professional site.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by hotshot265
Exactly. At least AA is offering their cold meals plated, with actual silverware and glassware for drinks consistently. I could cut them some slack if this was a catering thing at an outstation, but coming out of the ALT hub, absolutely not. Admittedly I have not flown a lot on DL this year as most of my travel has been moved over to AA, but on the flights so far with meal service, it has been nothing but inconsistent. A few weeks ago I flew ATL-PHX, got a plated hot meal for breakfast, going the opposite direction PHX-ATL got a plated cold meal for lunch. PHX-MSP and back were Sad Boxes to MSP and nothing, not even a snack basket on the return trip through DTW. That flight was after meal time, but FA said that even snack baskets are not provided on after 9pm departures, which is not correct, but not worth fighting over.
ATL-TUS is an abomination, as noted above. I took this flight on DL feeling sure this long and hub-originating route would have decent offerings, and it was just.... sad.
The way back is just as bad. Back to AA through DFW for me (I do this route twice a month).
Old May 5, 2022, 2:27 pm

Has MEX-ATL been upgraded from the sad box to a hot meal in Busines Class?
Old May 5, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
ATL-TUS is an abomination, as noted above. I took this flight on DL feeling sure this long and hub-originating route would have decent offerings, and it was just.... sad.
The way back is just as bad. Back to AA through DFW for me (I do this route twice a month).
I would eat genuine Krusty brand gruel any day over connecting through DFW.

David
Old May 5, 2022, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I am not sure what this means, I wasn't implying these people were being singled out because they post on FT.
"Honestly this forum is full of people who seem to have these incredible strings of "bad luck" and I'm guessing there is another reason their experiences are so different than everyone elses."
Not sure how that isn't singling out FTers.....?

this is a different complaint than what I was commenting on. there is a difference between "I don't like this offering and I would prefer the sandwich from the boars head kiosk in the concourse" or even "this is not what was advertised" and "this is disgusting and inedible." A big difference.
I'm saying I get something else because a lot of the time the product in the sad back is disgusting and inedible.

Maybe you enjoy/can eat a frozen sandwich but I'm going to guess that most of the population would pass.
NotHamSarnie and cmd320 like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
my brother, even the "good" meals are basically applebees. this snobbery is hilarious.
Yes, but an advertisement containing a hot plated meal, regardless the quality (and yes, Applebees is accurate) is not the same as receiving a cold box (that might be found at a Kum & Go). It’s just deceptive marketing by a money hungry company.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
Yes, but an advertisement containing a hot plated meal, regardless the quality (and yes, Applebees is accurate) is not the same as receiving a cold box (that might be found at a Kum & Go). It’s just deceptive marketing by a money hungry company.
I think it's fair to be disappointed if a cold box arrives when the route falls within hot meal guidelines, and even to express this to DL....but in this era to default to "deceptive marketing" accusation is a bit extreme. I am sure DL would vastly prefer to be in a position to offer the "standardized" product on every single flight within the set parameters as of yesterday, but that's just not the reality we're in. To expect the standardized product to be delivered at any cost is not reasonable.

Last, I don't really undersand the distinction between money hungry company, and shareholder advocate or capitalist--is one different, or better or worse than another?

Last edited by NYC Flyer; May 5, 2022 at 8:23 pm Reason: sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.