FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063945-delta-flight-meal-food-service-definitive-thread-2022-edition.html)

The Situation Jan 14, 2022 3:42 pm

Having had more meals on DL than I can count over the years, I can assure you that the ingredient list that you post for your turkey sandwich might be different than the turkey sandwich someone receives out of a different airport or on a different day out of the same airport you flew out of. Its not like they accurately list the ingredients for the FAs to be able to tell pax either. I often get "option 1 is a turkey sandwhich and option 2 appears to be ____" and even occasionally I get "option 1 is a turkey sandwich and I have no idea what option 2 is...they didn't list it on the box and I took a peak at it and I still don't know what it is." My last flight the FA told me the grain bowl was cous cous...it was definitely farro.

JW6130 Jan 14, 2022 5:27 pm

Ingredient list: Cardboard Box

End of list

xliioper Jan 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation (Post 33902743)
Having had more meals on DL than I can count over the years, I can assure you that the ingredient list that you post for your turkey sandwich might be different than the turkey sandwich someone receives out of a different airport or on a different day out of the same airport you flew out of. Its not like they accurately list the ingredients for the FAs to be able to tell pax either. I often get "option 1 is a turkey sandwhich and option 2 appears to be ____" and even occasionally I get "option 1 is a turkey sandwich and I have no idea what option 2 is...they didn't list it on the box and I took a peak at it and I still don't know what it is." My last flight the FA told me the grain bowl was cous cous...it was definitely farro.

Currently, meal boxes look to be mass produced in possibly same facility. My guess is that they will likely be pretty consistent (borrowed from another post).

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ad296db140.png

OPENROAD Jan 15, 2022 9:52 am

No pictures but had the beef sandwich box SEA-PHX, absolutely brutal tbh. Delta have always been my first choice, really to build up miles to fly Virgin Atlantic across the pond, but from now on I am going with whichever airline offers the best fare, yes I know I should have low expectations when it comes to flying in the States but after that beef sandwich...

Parislover1 Jan 15, 2022 12:06 pm

Plastic glasses??

Does anyone know if glassware has returned to DeltaOne. The website says glassware is still not being used, but before I pack my own wineglass I wanted to check. I am flying to Paris at the end of the month,

ClipperDelta Jan 15, 2022 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Parislover1 (Post 33904878)
Does anyone know if glassware has returned to DeltaOne. The website says glassware is still not being used, but before I pack my own wineglass I wanted to check. I am flying to Paris at the end of the month,

Yes, glassware is back for the services once in the air. Pre-departure beverage is still in plastic

herzmeh Jan 15, 2022 9:28 pm

Is CHML available on domestic D1? Not an option in app...

Goodoldflyer Jan 16, 2022 1:17 am

Don't worry, they'll give you a glass...

andrewk829 Jan 16, 2022 8:16 am

My meals on my recent TATL itinerary from SEA to KBP (Kyiv, Ukraine), including D1 segments MSP-AMS outbound and AMS-SEA on the return.

Top row: MSP-AMS on January 4, 2022. Left: main meal ("Braised Beef Short Rib with bordelaise sauce, thyme mashed potatoes, haricot verts with pickled red onions and mustard seeds"). Right: pre-arrival breakfast (rather unimpressive sausages and some kind of egg thing).

Bottom row: AMS-SEA on January 14, 2022. Left: main meal . . . I had preselected one of the "limited selection" meals - "pan fried cod with lobster sauce and baby Dutch shrimp, sauteed spinach, pickled red onions, and roasted new potatoes." Also included a pretty decent bowl of tomato soup. Right: Pre-arrival lunch . . . a cheeseburger . . . I was actually very impressed. I was ravenously hungry and had been thinking about where I might go for an indulgent burger after landing . . . and then much to my happiness, a hearty burger arrives on my tray table.

BTW, I have to say that business class menus have for my entire flying experience been full of fancy, ostentatious descriptions of the food, using fancy schmancy culinary language that I suspect a majority of passengers don't know (but would not admit not knowing). Same goes with the snooty wine descriptions, with their "hints" of this and "overtones" of that.

BTW2: Why did I fly outbound SEA-MSP-AMS-KBP instead of SEA-AMS-KBP? Because the layover in AMS on the SEA-AMS-KBP itinerary is a dangerously short one hour, and has been this way for years (and similarly for CDG itineraries). I fly this route 2-3 times a year and have been burned in the past. I don't know why DL and KLM cannot better coordinate their schedules. I'd rather add the extra segment to MSP as the MSP-AMS flight allows a more comfortable 2-1/2 hour layover in AMS . . . enough for a good safety margin, and enough to enjoy some time in the KLM Crown Room if everything is on time.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...37591af68f.jpg

krazykanuck Jan 16, 2022 8:23 am

Delta really has no excuses at this point - not that they've had a good one for a year now. I just flew AM from MEX-MAD in J and full plated multi course meal, table cloth, the whole nine yards. Basically like the old days! Was actually pretty good too.

WillBarrett_68 Jan 16, 2022 8:59 am

Originally Posted by p100a (Post 33884795)
Delta has programmed the avg pax to accept this new catering standard as amazing. Wake up people! The above pic is what is served in European short haul biz class. It's an insult to call this international business class catering.

Most people don't buy a plane ticket because of the food. They aren't going to be swayed because the meal got upgraded from McDonalds-level to Applebees-level (or vice versa). For most travelers, meal quality is at the bottom of their decision making process.

andrewk829 Jan 16, 2022 10:46 am

I flew D1 AMS-SEA on January 14 and can report that beverages were served in glass cups. And there was silverware, not plasticware.

The aspects of D1 that I noticed are still missing vis-a-vis pre-COVID are the hot mixed nuts and hot towel service.

drminn Jan 16, 2022 11:50 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 33906825)
Most people don't buy a plane ticket because of the food. They aren't going to be swayed because the meal got upgraded from McDonalds-level to Applebees-level (or vice versa). For most travelers, meal quality is at the bottom of their decision making process.

If you read enough FT you might be convinced that you are wrong here. Oh, and add lounges as the second most important decision factor. Just saying ...

DCAhome Jan 16, 2022 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 33906825)

I'm sure that's true for many. And, I agree that there are a number of considerations when you spend $ on a J-class trip. I do have to say that when I look at where I've put my money, it's not on DL. My paid J (international) for this year include:
- UA (IAD-SAL)
- Avianca (SAL-IAD) I'm sure I'll regret this choice, but it certainly wasn't for the food.
- AA (DCA-BOG r/t) Better food than DL
- AC (Whitehorse) Just because
- Emriates (IAD-DXB) to try their F, and food is a difference here
- LH (IAD-CPT) which had a great price, and lets me try a 747-8 and an A340 before they're retired
- TP (IAD-FCO) to take advantage of FF miles and a low price from IAD

I do have a single DL flight in J, but this is a DCA-ARN trip where I could use a GUC. So, it's not *just* based on the food. But, the overall service is better on others. So, that's where my money goes. (And, it is my money. I'm a leisure flyer.)

The Situation Jan 17, 2022 4:15 pm

Had a good FA who seemed fairly knowledgeable about the plastic cup situation. She warned me that the flight was double-catered in SEA and they went through their cup supply on the outbound, so they only had ~10 cups left for the entire plane on two hour flight. If I wanted a refill, I would either need to reuse my cup or drink from the bottle. F would be the only group that would receive cups. C+ and Y would be drinking from the bottle:eek: I asked if any paper bags were catered:D The storage was designed for the cups that DL used to cater, but they have been unable to source cups for some time (and its not for a lack of trying). The mix and match cups don't stack as well and take up a lot more room in the storage so often they can't carry as many cups, and they are often rationed anyway since DL has had difficulty sourcing them. No news on when glass cups will return though, although there is a push for them.