Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
JFK-LAX, D1, 3/10, 9:30pm departure

I preordered the impossible meatballs based off the positive reviews in this thread and was not disappointed! Pretty good and would definitely order again. Cheesecake was good but could have been served a bit more chilled. Definitely a decent amount of food for dinner.

PDBs of the finest sparkling from Ed's Chateau were offered on the ground and since I got one pretty early, and they don't pour that much in the plastic cups, I finished it while boarding was still being completed. A different FA was doing a pass with another platter of them and I joked to her that my cup had a hole in the bottom. She thought I was serious for a second, then got the joke and handed me a second one.

Disappointing that DL hasn't restored multi-course service on the route.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by onebobobo
SAN-ATL on the A333

Quiche (my choice)
Yogurt/granola
Fruit/cheese plate

Vodka [non-Russian] martini. Shaken, not stirred...
Moyerclan and onebobobo like this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
DTW-MCO today (Saturday) for a 10:30 am flight had three meal choices in first...Pastrami sandwiches (hot), Vegetarian pasta (hot, and yes, that's how it was described), and Smoke salmon poke bowl. I chose the sandwiches, came with cauliflower in some type of sauce, bowl of almonds, and a chocolate cake with a DOCO chocolate coin. I don't think the meal was as good as the Rueben that was served pre-covid, but it's nice to have some real food!
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:10 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
HNL-SEA:Mahi Mahi with citrus sauce, potatoes and spinach; Kailua Pork: Eggplant dish.

Came with salad with miso dressing and a pound cake.

Overall tasty dish. Good job to Delta.
demkr likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM EXP, UA 1K, DL Silver
Impossible burger?

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Was SO excited to hear of the lunch choice of the Impossible Burger! Then was offered it on my AUS-SEA flight I’m on right now. Offer accepted! Well, some offers are better than others. The bun was surprisingly good. Buttered and toasted with a nice cheese and some sautιed onions. The Impossible “Burger”, however, turned out to be a slice of eggplant. Grilled and spiced. Not an unacceptable vegetarian option, but not what was on offer. The very sweet flight attendant was incredibly apologetic when I asked her about it (did I get an alternative veggie option?), but claimed to have had no idea what an Impossible Burger was supposed to be. My query sparked a local conversation about this “confusion” and this resulted in a respectful conversation about the attendant post-COVID difficulties of changing catering across the country, but this was pretty weird. Anyone else run into this kind of issue? FWIW, the squash salad and dessert were tasty and solid choices…

Wow! I came to this forum specifically to discuss this situation on this same routing on 3/12/2022! My wife and I are not vegetarians, but at home, when we make burgers, we only make Impossible - they really are fantastic. So we were excited to find them on our flight. We were in 3D and 3F, so, my wife ended up with the last one (after the flight attendant initially offered us both one, he later realized there weren't sufficient). What came was a sad, soggy, cheesy bun with sweet onion relish and a sad piece of eggplant in it! My wife did not eat it. She also did not enjoy the weird vegetable salad that came with it, or the spice cake, having been so turned off by the disappointment. We mentioned it to the flight attendant and his comment was that he was not a vegetarian, so he didn't know anything about it. He was friendly about it, and brought her a snackbox instead.

​​​​​​
Apart from this, the food options were disappointing and surprising. There were two hot vegetarian options (the not Impossible burger and veggies and rice), and the only non vegetarian option was cold chicken and rice. I had that. It was also disappointing (it would have been better hot). If it was a real impossible burger, it would have been fine (although the onion relish should have been left off), but a hot non-vegetarian option would have been appreciated.

The snack box offered by the flight attendant was the $10 one (and strangely he explained that normally this is $10, but for us, sitting in first, it was free). I asked if there were others, and his bizarre response was "yes, but this is the more premium one"... I don't care about "premium" on a snack box, I want one that has the things I want in it!

The only sparkling water onboard was the tiny cans of fever tree club soda.

The whole experience was weird. I've been flying more on Delta recently, and have largely enjoyed it, but this experience was really disappointing.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdavies

The snack box offered by the flight attendant was the $10 one (and strangely he explained that normally this is $10, but for us, sitting in first, it was free). I asked if there were others, and his bizarre response was "yes, but this is the more premium one"... I don't care about "premium" on a snack box, I want one that has the things I want in it!

As far as I'm aware, there are still only 2 snack box offerings (Market and Bistro) and I certainly wouldn't consider either one "premium" as they are both just processed, shelf-stable items. It doesn't seem there is a consistent DL policy that they will give you a snack box in FC if you don't like the meal offerings and seems to be largely at the discretion of the FA's (I witnessed someone turned down on a recent flight).
btonkid12345 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 13, 2022 at 9:50 am
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
On the 4:44pm MCO-DTW flight today we were served dinner. Options were beef short rib, chicken sous vide, or mushroom ravioli. I opted for the beef short rib, which was tasty. It was served with tri colored carrots, mashed potatoes, a side salad, and a piece of blueberry cheesecake. Very tasty!
Minnyappleus likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by xliioper
As far as I'm aware, there are still only 2 snack box offerings (Market and Bistro) and I certainly wouldn't consider either one "premium" as they are both just processed, shelf-stable items. It doesn't seem there is a consistent DL policy that they will give you a snack box in FC if you don't like the meal offerings and seems to be largely at the discretion of the FA's (I witnessed someone turned down on a recent flight).
If I never hear the phrase “Market or Bistro” again, it will still be too soon.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by vinnmann
As an added insult, you advertise that there is now hot food in F, but only if you are vegetarian.
pro tip: you're allowed to eat vegetables even if you sometimes eat meat.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
pro tip: you're allowed to eat vegetables even if you sometimes eat meat.
Vegetables shouldn't be the only hot option. And personally I've never quite understood the idea of serving chicken cold. Ok, maybe as a sliced meat on a sandwich, but anything else? Eh, not really that appealing to me.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cardsqc
Vegetables shouldn't be the only hot option. And personally I've never quite understood the idea of serving chicken cold. Ok, maybe as a sliced meat on a sandwich, but anything else? Eh, not really that appealing to me.
I'd rather have moist cold chicken than dry hot chicken. And I'm glad that you personally, as opposed to impersonally, have never quite understood the idea

Which reminds me, bad airplane food didn't look quite so bad, like that sorry piece of eggplant that hopefully now is in "a better place" before our pocket phones had such excellent photo-taking abilities.

Any idea here what OO is serving on two hour-ish lunchtime flights?
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This is my question, too. What's happening on regional jets that meet the criteria for a 'hot meal' on mainline?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ascii
This is my question, too. What's happening on regional jets that meet the criteria for a 'hot meal' on mainline?
(Especially when my mainline was recently replaced with OO - reminds me of when the coffee at Tavern on the Green was replaced with Folgers Crystals - will we notice?)
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
DL 659 JFK-AUS on Saturday, 3/12. To my surprise, my drink came in a B6 plastic cup…

JetBlue cup
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd rather have moist cold chicken than dry hot chicken. And I'm glad that you personally, as opposed to impersonally, have never quite understood the idea

Which reminds me, bad airplane food didn't look quite so bad, like that sorry piece of eggplant that hopefully now is in "a better place" before our pocket phones had such excellent photo-taking abilities.

The meal service standard is mileage based (900 miles), not based on flight duration. Which routes do you have in mind?

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 15, 2022 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.