Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by tjm
As for "Impossible", my daughter is vegan and tells me there is nothing worse than fake meat, regardless of brand. That's enough for me to avoid it.
FWIW, Impossible and other more modern fake meat varieties seem to be trying to cater to the tastes of meat eaters rather than the tastes of people who at all enjoy eating vegan, but everyone's tastes are different, so your mileage may vary.
BenA likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:58 am

As for "Impossible", my daughter is vegan and tells me there is nothing worse than fake meat, regardless of brand. That's enough for me to avoid it.
Perhaps you should try it yourself rather than taking the word of someone who won't eat mean anyway? I hear its pretty darn tasty (albeit not really more healthy for you than beef).
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:20 am

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I think the issue is that some flour should be heated thoroughly before it's eaten, although there are commercial producers of cookie dough who seem to encourage it to be eaten raw, plus common grocery store items like chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream suggest that they contain raw cookie dough.

I think those manufacturers heat treat the flour before making the dough. I've done the same at home when I've craved edible cookie dough. I just put the flour on a plate and microwave for a few seconds (I don't remember the specific time required). /QUOTE]

Tip: You can buy pasteurized eggs almost every where now. That would solve any concern I might have about eating raw cookie dough.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If not cooked properly flour can make sick. Are sure it was actually dough? How long ago was this?
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
United used to do it too. A cookie above 160 wont make you sick and all cookies are well above 160 when baked, not a risk issue.
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
I think those manufacturers heat treat the flour before making the dough. I've done the same at home when I've craved edible cookie dough. I just put the flour on a plate and microwave for a few seconds (I don't remember the specific time required).

When I was in college, I worked at Borders Books in the coffee shop (miss that place!). We also had "freshly baked" cookies. In reality, they were frozen baked or maybe par-baked cookies that were made to be warmed in a small oven. The nice thing about them is that you could serve warm cookies, and it smelled like cookies were being baked. I would bet that this is what airlines do as well. With limited oven space on narrow-body planes, the FA would likely need to heat them after prepping the main meal.
NYC Flyer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:03 pm

ATL - LHR

ATL - LHR Options:

Fox Bros BBQ Short Ribs

Braised Chicken "Country Captain"

Georgia Grown Vegetable Plate

2022 James Beard Outstanding Chef Mashama Bailey's smoked lamb shank

2023 James Beard Outstanding Chef Mashama Bailey's Georgia coast flounder & oysters

It won't let me post photos yet, but those are the five options. Anyone had the flounder or know if the chicken is breast/something else?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cjn02c
ATL - LHR Options:

Fox Bros BBQ Short Ribs

Braised Chicken "Country Captain"

Georgia Grown Vegetable Plate

2022 James Beard Outstanding Chef Mashama Bailey's smoked lamb shank

2023 James Beard Outstanding Chef Mashama Bailey's Georgia coast flounder & oysters

It won't let me post photos yet, but those are the five options. Anyone had the flounder or know if the chicken is breast/something else?
Welcome to FT!

I have the same 5 choices for ATL-EZE on Sep 1 and have pre-ordered the chicken, so can report back then if no one else knows. Although, in the past I have ordered something that was explicitly listed on the menu as duck breast and ended up with a leg/thigh (which actually suits my preference, but I know some would be disappointed by that)

Not sure I would feel like gambling on fish + oysters on a plane
cjn02c likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Welcome to FT!

I have the same 5 choices for ATL-EZE on Sep 1 and have pre-ordered the chicken, so can report back then if no one else knows. Although, in the past I have ordered something that was explicitly listed on the menu as duck breast and ended up with a leg/thigh (which actually suits my preference, but I know some would be disappointed by that)

Not sure I would feel like gambling on fish + oysters on a plane
Thank you! I am probably ordering the short ribs. I seem to recall seeing positive reviews about it. My husband would only like the chicken if it is breast and they seem to not specify a lot in the preorder info. I am thankful to this forum because I don't know how we'd get the details or feedback.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:40 pm

I know there is an inflight meal thread

But it seems oriented towards premium (although I have done a search and there does appear to be a few reports from economy).

i would like some advice about delta meals now on economy transatlantic flights. Specifically - special meals. I’ve done the google but all of them seem to be about meals before Covid not in 2022.

I don’t have any real dietary restrictions but if there is a better option than “take what you are offered” I’d like to know. Particularly about lower calorie meals.

I’m taking snacks that will give me options, but still.

thanks
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
I have an ATL-BOS afternoon and BOS-ATL evening planned in F. Do they serve hot meals on that length of flight, or is it still cold sandwich/salad?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bailorg
FWIW, Impossible and other more modern fake meat varieties seem to be trying to cater to the tastes of meat eaters rather than the tastes of people who at all enjoy eating vegan, but everyone's tastes are different, so your mileage may vary.
exactly this. The goal with impossible products is to move meat eaters to eat less meat thus supposedly saving the world from climate change. Everyone that I know who is vegetarian or vegan aren't big fans.
Originally Posted by Moyerclan
Perhaps you should try it yourself rather than taking the word of someone who won't eat mean anyway? I hear its pretty darn tasty (albeit not really more healthy for you than beef).
if you like salt.
and its terrible for you, mostly because of the off the chart sodium numbers. MyFitnessPal yells at me whenever I eat it because its screws my macros all up.
[QUOTE=Moyerclan;34551515]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I think the issue is that some flour should be heated thoroughly before it's eaten, although there are commercial producers of cookie dough who seem to encourage it to be eaten raw, plus common grocery store items like chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream suggest that they contain raw cookie dough.

I think those manufacturers heat treat the flour before making the dough. I've done the same at home when I've craved edible cookie dough. I just put the flour on a plate and microwave for a few seconds (I don't remember the specific time required). /QUOTE]

Tip: You can buy pasteurized eggs almost every where now. That would solve any concern I might have about eating raw cookie dough.
Or buy quality eggs and don't worry about it.

I fix things with eggs that are uncooked all the time. Have yet to get sick. Example I have homemade Caesar salad dressing sitting in my fridge right now. Has raw egg in it. Granted, It will only stay around for 3-4 days then get dumped, if it isn't eaten by then which i doubt will be an issue.

I also don't cook pork till it's well done either. Same as above.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wooootles
I have an ATL-BOS afternoon and BOS-ATL evening planned in F. Do they serve hot meals on that length of flight, or is it still cold sandwich/salad?
ATL-BOS is longer than 900 miles - Great Circle Mapper
Flights between hubs (like ATL and BOS), as well as to/from most major stations, have hot meals on flights over 900 miles as long as they are scheduled to depart before 9PM.
See wiki post at the top of this thread for stations without catering that still get cold meal boxes on 900+ mile flights -- Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition
wooootles likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 28, 2022 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:27 pm

In regards to ATL - BOS:

Just flew this route round trip this month. Three options each way and they offered at least one hot option each way. I believe to Boston it was an Impossible Burger and two salad options (no preorder option for anyone on the plane). Boston we had a preorder available and the options were Grilled Herbed Chicken, Smoked Salmon Poke Bowl and House Made Ricotta Cappellacci Pasta. Ordered the pasta on the flight to ATL and it was good.
wooootles likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thanks, you guys are heroes. I know I wanted a hot meal but I could legit go for a poke bowl.
cjn02c likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, I've been able to call DL and have the agent read me the descriptions of the diabetic, low calorie, low fat, and low carbohydrate choices. This won't tell you exactly the food you'll get, but it will give information about the general principles defining each choice.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:21 pm

Did a same day change for my LAS-JFK flight from a 767-300 (1012) to a 757-200 (1104) since the hotel couldn’t give me late checkout. There was one difference in the lunch choices - both had the southwest arugula salad and the impossible burger. Original flight had Italian burrata and new flight had a vegetable medley dish (flight attendant just said it had a bunch of different vegetables on it).

Southwest chicken salad lunch w/ pineapples with red stuff on it

Close up of the southwest chicken salad

Originally Posted by NuclearTumbleweed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.