Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Started this month, the new Delta One menu card..QR code leads to more detailed descriptions of the soup, salad, and drinks selection…the two other pre-order-only main course items are not listed here (since they are not available to order on board) but are still available for pre-order up to 24 hours before the flight).

I hate to be that kind of person, but for some reason, this menu card made me think of the meal cards that NW used to hand out in international Y. (Honestly, in 2022, something like this should be digital - it's kind of a waste of paper especially since preordering is a thing)
Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
Has anyone heard if the return of hot meals next month in domestic F will also see a return of preordering?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by ab2013
I hate to be that kind of person, but for some reason, this menu card made me think of the meal cards that NW used to hand out in international Y. (Honestly, in 2022, something like this should be digital - it's kind of a waste of paper especially since preordering is a thing)
You'd be surprised how many people don't pre-order. This saves the purser from having to repeat the main course options every time and is still saving on paper by having only a one-sheet instead of a whole menu booklet.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Lots of good photos and reviews on this thread. Super giddy to be traveling D1, JFK-CDG in May and am hoping food service experience is worthwhile.
Synapseturquoise and avgeek92 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Has anyone heard if the return of hot meals next month in domestic F will also see a return of preordering?
I’d assume so since INTL and Domestic D1 is back to pre-ordering.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How does DL prioritize meals in F / DeltaOne? This is a big issue in the UA and AS forums where we find both airlines only stock a limited number of each choice and AS even runs out of choices based on pre-orders. UA is supposed to prioritize for 1Ks but even then you can be shut out if your choice is popular. I will not be happy if I am stuck with kale salad or a chicken salad sandwich.

Just finished a 6 segment trip in F. Mostly the same cold box choices we have been seeing over the past few months. Just posting a datapoint in case anyone is interested:

ANC-MSP: Prosciutto sandwich, chicken salad sandwich, or ancient grain box. I chose the prosciutto sandwich and it came with chips and a cookie. The sandwich itself was tasty, but still overall too much bread compared to meat/cheese ratio. Attentive FAs, seemed to be offering refills frequently, but I fortunately fell asleep soon after eating and slept all the way until the 10,000 ft ding descending into MSP!
ATL-MSP: Smoked salmon salad, turkey sandwich, or teriyaki grain bowl. I tried the salmon salad, and while it was tasty, I struggle to actually call it a "salad." It was a very small portion of salmon, an even smaller portion of lettuce, but tons of tomatoes, red onions, kalamata olives, and potatoes. Oh, and there was half a boiled egg in there too. Overall just a hodgepodge of small bites. The best thing about the box was the pumpkin bread. Very unmotivated ATL based FAs. The flight leader looked at my seat mate and myself and said "You guys want lunch?" No refills offered despite intentionally displaying my empty cup prominently.
Do the sandwiches and salads come with condiments and dressings on the side? One of my pet peeves are pre-made items that already have mayo or "aoili" slathered on the bread. Ditto for creamy salad dressings. None of these work for my digestion.

Originally Posted by basecamp
Feb 3.
Delta 910 8:28pm
Choice of Mezze with veggies, kale chicken salad, or this Salmon with Quinoa/veggies and I think a tzatziki sauce. It was cold, but very tasty and good quantity. The little brownie was good and the crackers were good too.
Further to my last comment, it looks like the tzatziki sauce is on the side of the plate and not slathered on top of the salmon, which is a plus. That looks like the ideal meal for me!

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Started this month, the new Delta One menu card..QR code leads to more detailed descriptions of the soup, salad, and drinks selection…the two other pre-order-only main course items are not listed here (since they are not available to order on board) but are still available for pre-order up to 24 hours before the flight).
That looks like an international menu - I gather it does not reflect what is currently offered for DeltaOne domestic flights?

Do we have any clue on the hot meal menu? Are the QR codes on the DL website?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by addicoe
Is premium select still getting economy meals? Or are they actually nice like delta one again? Specifically long haul to asia like DTW->ICN or something.
I beleive all of DLs partners, except for WestJet (their PE is their domestic J cabin and their domestic J is branded as PE), provide economy service in their PE cabins. Thus, DL seems to have adjusted their PE offering to match their partners
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Boraxo
How does DL prioritize meals in F / DeltaOne? This is a big issue in the UA and AS forums where we find both airlines only stock a limited number of each choice and AS even runs out of choices based on pre-orders. UA is supposed to prioritize for 1Ks but even then you can be shut out if your choice is popular. I will not be happy if I am stuck with kale salad or a chicken salad sandwich.
Official policy is "FEBO" - from front to back in the cabin on even-numbered flights and back-to-front on odd-numbered flights. In practice, most crews go front to back regardless of the flight number. I don't believe there is any status entitlement for meal choice, although except during the pandemic, DL has offered pre-ordering for all meal flights.

Do the sandwiches and salads come with condiments and dressings on the side? One of my pet peeves are pre-made items that already have mayo or "aoili" slathered on the bread. Ditto for creamy salad dressings. None of these work for my digestion.
Generally, no. The tzatziki is an exception to the rule.

That looks like an international menu - I gather it does not reflect what is currently offered for DeltaOne domestic flights?
A D1-marketed domestic flight will have a similar service standard, but not those exact dishes.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:58 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Pre-covid, as a Diamond I was usually discretely asked my meal choice in front during the first drink service, before the FEBO round of ordering. Since covid, various unhappy box experiences give me no knowledge.

I fear that the institutional knowledge of now-retired FAs may be lost. Fortunately, I am an old person. Good luck.
dw, duluthDL, NotHamSarnie and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by LexPassenger
Pre-covid, as a Diamond I was usually discretely asked my meal choice in front during the first drink service, before the FEBO round of ordering. Since covid, various unhappy box experiences give me no knowledge.

I fear that the institutional knowledge of now-retired FAs may be lost. Fortunately, I am an old person. Good luck.
My favorite ever was on a US Airways A321 PHL-SFO. I was asked if I would like dinner. I asked what are the choices. The flight attendant replied "Yes or No."
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by JAXPax
My favorite ever was on a US Airways A321 PHL-SFO. I was asked if I would like dinner. I asked what are the choices. The flight attendant replied "Yes or No."

well done
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
With that attitude Discount Dougie probably promoted them to VP of In-Flight Service!
Analise and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Funny thing is, that is now Finnair for long haul economy- only one meal choice is loaded
Old Feb 12, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Flying LAX-OGG 8am flight and HNL -LAX, 8pm flight in April/May, any chance of hot food, or is it still boxes, sandwiches etc?
Old Feb 12, 2022, 10:17 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by OPENROAD
Flying LAX-OGG 8am flight and HNL -LAX, 8pm flight in April/May, any chance of hot food, or is it still boxes, sandwiches etc?
still boxes as of this past Tuesday
OPENROAD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.