Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking before new GUC rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:36 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
If I'm calculating this correctly, you can use the existing GUC''s the "old way" through 1/31/2022 and the schedule goes 331 days out, so 12/28/2022 would be the last travel day for the GUC?

Although I think that there is a much greater risk of your flight being changed and getting your UG dropped prior to departure that far out.
That challenge is real esp if the ticket is not reissued, and they can get hung up quite a bit without reissue that far out.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by Zorak
It does warn you. I have both 2021 and 2022 Choice Benefits available to pick -- note the lines I highlighted:

Yes, it probably did warn me. Although if it had been highlighted like yours I would have paid more attention!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Well, I pulled the trigger (thanks to OP for bringing up this thread) and booked for LAX-SYD-LAX for November. Hoping that they will be open by then, but I easily found GUC availability and called in to apply it in less than 10 mins! I know that there's a risk in things changing, but I did this several times last year as well and it worked out, if not, I'm flexible.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If you successfully find and book D1 before 1/31 and then need to change and rebook post 1/31, can you move to another flight that has confirmable GUC D1 space without redepositing it? or do any post-1/31 changes to existing reservations revert to the new rules and put you in premium economy only? If the former, I might try to book placeholder reservations using all of mine now to preserve their value.
I would also love to know this, I have a TALT flight booked with a GUC for end of February that seems stable (at this point) but I'm thinking of booking something TPAC using a GUC for October that I'm sure will change a few times between now and them.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RhinoDL
I would also love to know this, I have a TALT flight booked with a GUC for end of February that seems stable (at this point) but I'm thinking of booking something TPAC using a GUC for October that I'm sure will change a few times between now and them.
There's a discussion on this now on the other thread re devaluation of the GUC....
RhinoDL likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
My plan for years has been to GUC a trip to New Zealand for a month long motorhome tour. Real bucket list stuff. But looks like I'm having to come to terms that it's not going to happen due to the factors; DL losing partner access to NZ, the GUC rule change and of course continuing Covid uncertainty. My business slows to zero before Christmas week through the 2nd/3rd week of January, so that's when I can afford to take a long trip. With 331 day scheduling, I've got to wait until end of February to book, so I'm forced into the new GUC rules, which, on an ATL-SYD route, means if I want D1, I've got to buy PE, adding at least $1000/seat. Also add about $500-600/seat for SYD-CHC flights. As much as I want to see NZ, and get there in D1, that's roughly $8400 for two, just for air. Ouch.

This of course is just me whining to the crowd, but if anyone has any suggestions, brother, I'm all ears.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EditingFX
My plan for years has been to GUC a trip to New Zealand for a month long motorhome tour. Real bucket list stuff. But looks like I'm having to come to terms that it's not going to happen due to the factors; DL losing partner access to NZ, the GUC rule change and of course continuing Covid uncertainty. My business slows to zero before Christmas week through the 2nd/3rd week of January, so that's when I can afford to take a long trip. With 331 day scheduling, I've got to wait until end of February to book, so I'm forced into the new GUC rules, which, on an ATL-SYD route, means if I want D1, I've got to buy PE, adding at least $1000/seat. Also add about $500-600/seat for SYD-CHC flights. As much as I want to see NZ, and get there in D1, that's roughly $8400 for two, just for air. Ouch.

This of course is just me whining to the crowd, but if anyone has any suggestions, brother, I'm all ears.
Pay attention to DL partner LATAM. They fly SCL-SYD/AKL. Their discount Z fare to SYD or AKL can sometimes be cheaper than Y on other carriers. Most frequently JFK-SYD/AKL via SCL for $1600-$2500 per person. Before CV19, I did multiple trips a year to NZ (motorhomed both AKL-CHC and CHC-AKL multiple times, strongly recommend Apollo RV)

Current OZ/NZ fares are out of whack due to caps on maximum daily numbers of passengers.
EditingFX likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EditingFX
My business slows to zero before Christmas week through the 2nd/3rd week of January, so that's when I can afford to take a long trip. With 331 day scheduling, I've got to wait until end of February to book, so I'm forced into the new GUC rules
Did I miss a world where LAX-SYD in January had OY space?
ryandc99, RhinoDL and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Where do I find a list of DL international flights with 2 'cabins' versus 3 'cabins' that will limit going from economy to D1 with GUCs as of 2/1/22?
I have 2 ticketed flights with GUCs (cleared to D1) that have been lost to COVID and I must rebook the tickets prior to this catastrophic change by DL.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:49 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Did I miss a world where LAX-SYD in January had OY space?
I would love to know more about the dates the OP found availability... unheard of !
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Xeno
Where do I find a list of DL international flights with 2 'cabins' versus 3 'cabins' that will limit going from economy to D1 with GUCs as of 2/1/22?
I have 2 ticketed flights with GUCs (cleared to D1) that have been lost to COVID and I must rebook the tickets prior to this catastrophic change by DL.
Well first of all you will either have 3 cabins (without PS), or 4 cabins (with PS). And you can be sure that by this summer, the majority of A330s will have the PS cabin, and so will several B763ERs. So if your flight is on an A330, remember that DL will be swapping aircraft nearer the date to make sure that there will more likely be a 4 cabin aircraft on these flights. The routes that will have B763ERs on them will be fewer, and therefore it may end up being a similar situation, with DL swapping aircraft in at the last minute with a 4 cabin. After January 31, I wouldn't expect many upgrades from PS to D1 happening until T-24 at the earliest. If you book by January 31, then it's all different as you can be confirmed in D1 immediately at booking!
Xeno likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Which routes do we know will still be under the old upgrade rules due to no PS yet? Any that we should be targeting for sure if we don't want to redeem global upgrades by 1/31?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Which routes do we know will still be under the old upgrade rules due to no PS yet? Any that we should be targeting for sure if we don't want to redeem global upgrades by 1/31?
Not really unless you are talking about booking flights that are fairly close in where equipment changes are unlikely. All international D1 routes have PS fare filings on them. Just because a route doesn't have PS equipment scheduled on it right now, doesn't mean they won't eventually sub PS equipment on it and the PS fares are already there should they make the substitution. The only D1 routes that don't have PS fares are the domestic ones where the PS cabin is marketed as C+ when flown with PS equipment.
SkyTeam777 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 18, 2022 at 7:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.