Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Speculation: D1 Lounge coming to JFK? (PANYNJ presentation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: D1 Lounge coming to JFK? (PANYNJ presentation)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could EASILY cut back the food offerings at regular SkyClubs. It would also likely cost them at least some revenue, perhaps at some airports (eg, JFK) where the Amex Plat cardholders would choose an alternate lounge like Centurion. They’d also probably lose guest access fees.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by jiburi
Is it just me who is worried about Potential reduction of benefits of Sky Club?
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I don't think it will affect the existing Sky-club amenities like showers, food etc.
Others may disagree, but I perceive the current meal offerings at the JFK SkyClub as comprising slightly more elaborate dishes than, say, LAX. To the extent this is accurate, I could see the food at JFK conforming to other larger stations in the network. Still wouldn't expect DL to eliminate hot food or showers at SkyClubs simply due to a D1 lounge opening up at a few stations.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:25 pm

A lot of United Polaris lounges were simply existing United Clubs rebranded. Delta at least seems to be building new...
Saying they were UCs that were rebranded is really not a fair comment at all. These were top to bottom remodels and the clubs in question were closed for an extended period for the construction.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Saying they were UCs that were rebranded is really not a fair comment at all. These were top to bottom remodels and the clubs in question were closed for an extended period for the construction.
Yes, but they took away from the existing United Clubs footprint is my point. DL went the opposite direction and is constructing these new D1 lounges from scratch.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Looks like travel blogs have taken this and run with it. Hopefully it's true!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
A couple thoughts jump out at me as I read and reviewed this thread:

What is the likelihood the phases are completed on time? LOL (Personal experience with arriving at airports with new Centurion Lounges opening has been impressive. Not a one was open at the originally set date when I was at that particular airport!!) I doubt these will open on the dates shown, considering they are end of this year or early next year.

Also, to hopefully allay fears of food/content downgrades, note that the PANYNJ documentation for the Centurion at LaGuardia is showing an investment of $100 million to build the lounge, and annual lease cost of over $8 million. Given both of those, I can't see Delta scheming their way to profitability by cheapening the eats at the non-D1 SC's AFTER dropping the coin to build the new lounges.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I tend to agree that I don’t think it is likely DL will cheapen its standard SkyClub food offerings. As mentioned in other threads, one of the big selling points of Delta is that it’s clubs are significantly better than the standard UA/AA clubs. Yes, there is an added cost for better food, but arguably the revenue generated from having that better food offsets the costs of offering it.
I personally know of several business flyers who choose Delta as their airline of choice almost solely because of SkyClubs. I think it is more likely that AA/UA clubs “step up their game”, rather than DL drop their quality. But that is just my guess.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by kavok
I think it is more likely that AA/UA clubs “step up their game”, rather than DL drop their quality. But that is just my guess.
Considering the DL membership that includes guests is a fair amount more than a similar membership at AA and UA, I don’t see the other two feeling a need to improve their offerings; conversely, it would make sense for DL to continue having an elevated offering compared to the competition because of this
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes, but they took away from the existing United Clubs footprint is my point. DL went the opposite direction and is constructing these new D1 lounges from scratch.
DL doesn't have the square footage to steal from.

True that the IAH Polaris lounge was built in what used to be the 3rd floor of the United Club (if you want to be really pedantic it was the old CO PC), but in all honesty almost nobody went up there anyway. There was no bar or food.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kavok
I tend to agree that I don’t think it is likely DL will cheapen its standard SkyClub food offerings. As mentioned in other threads, one of the big selling points of Delta is that it’s clubs are significantly better than the standard UA/AA clubs. Yes, there is an added cost for better food, but arguably the revenue generated from having that better food offsets the costs of offering it.
I personally know of several business flyers who choose Delta as their airline of choice almost solely because of SkyClubs. I think it is more likely that AA/UA clubs “step up their game”, rather than DL drop their quality. But that is just my guess.
At the moment, I'm more willing to accept DL's COVID-19 (NON)catering if I'm going to/from/through airports where I know I can find some food in a SC.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
A lot of United Polaris lounges were simply existing United Clubs rebranded. Delta at least seems to be building new, so I don't think it will affect the existing Sky-club amenities like showers, food etc. JFK at one time was doing a trial run allowing D1 passengers to choose made to ordered meals. Perhaps these D1 lounges will offer that, while the regular clubs remain buffet style.
You would not say this if you ever stepped foot in one. United does not get everything right but the Polaris lounges are leaps and bounds above any other US airline lounges. Not a rebranding at all and mostly new builds. IAD- new, EWR-new, SFO-new, LAX- new space and conversion for former GFL, ORD- new space and conversion of former GFL and UC. Only IAH was completely a conversion of a portion of an existing lounge.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
You would not say this if you ever stepped foot in one. United does not get everything right but the Polaris lounges are leaps and bounds above any other US airline lounges. Not a rebranding at all and mostly new builds. IAD- new, EWR-new, SFO-new, LAX- new space and conversion for former GFL, ORD- new space and conversion of former GFL and UC. Only IAH was completely a conversion of a portion of an existing lounge.
I got the point that the comment was less about a “rebranding” and more about taking space away from the UC network. EWR, SFO, LAX were also complete conversions from UC real estate. And ORD took a big chunk away also.

Even LAX was a full UC at the point of conversion. One could argue that it was a GFL that became a UC, but that was because UA closed the UC in T6 and converted the GFL to a UC. Technically I guess you can also argue that a small part of the space of the former (large) SFO UC was replaced by the conversion of the GFL to a UC.
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I got the point that the comment was less about a “rebranding” and more about taking space away from the UC network. EWR, SFO, LAX were also complete conversions from UC real estate. And ORD took a big chunk away also.

Even LAX was a full UC at the point of conversion. One could argue that it was a GFL that became a UC, but that was because UA closed the UC in T6 and converted the GFL to a UC. Technically I guess you can also argue that a small part of the space of the former (large) SFO UC was replaced by the conversion of the GFL to a UC.
Yes, they were big big projects, not just rebranding. The LAX GFL which was as you pointed out to converted to a small UC was much smaller than the Polaris lounge. The SFO Polaris lounge expanded to two floors, took all the old UC lounge space, the SQ lounge space, the BR lounge space and then some. It is massive. The old SFO GFL became a regular UC. I don't think there is a single airport where they did not add to total lounge space, sometimes significantly. More importantly the food and amenities are so much better than before. I have to give credit to UA for that, as much as I don't always like to.

UA's Polaris lounge concept was in recognition of their below par UC offering. Rather than improve the entire network of UC's they opted to build new business/first class only lounges for international travel. All the more astounding because it was conceived of and approved during the Smisek era, a time of wide-spread cost cutting measures. Perhaps this was in response to AA's improved lounge and flagship dining service.

Now I am hopeful we will see a response from DL. Competition keeps this industry constantly improving and as long as one of the big three is improving their service it makes it that much harder for the other two to focus only on cost cutting and service reduction. Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by uanj
I don't think there is a single airport where they did not add to total lounge space, sometimes significantly.
Where they did not add to total lounge space available prior? EWR, IAH. I guess ORD had the B6 expansion going on also so that helped. But ORD had major space issues at first that had to be addressed post opening.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I think about the premium lounges I've visited, it's more than F&B (including served meals ordered from a menu in some of them). Restrooms should be more spacious and luxurious, furnishings should be more luxurious, and especially the seats should be spaced farther apart. A given size (in square footage or square meters for foreigners) of premium lounge should serve fewer people than a normal lounge of the same size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.